Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-10-2014, 06:58 AM   #1
Juan Loco

Default Ideas on How to Find a Job?

Been unemployed for a while now and finding it hard.
I'm experienced and highly skilled at what I do, but the market has really nosedived in WA.

I know I should be doing more, I just can't think what.
I apply for everything on SEEK, mostly I find that everything applicable is advertised on SEEK. Where else should I be looking?

I have milked my LinkedIn hard, but they have nothing going.

I have tried sending my resume and cover letter to every applicable employer I can find.

Juan Loco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2014, 07:22 AM   #2
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Default Re: Ideas on How to Find a Job?

Have you thought of Joining an Agency?
Old 18-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
landau5.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0 View Post
PPPFFFTTTTT, recruitment agencies are useless, time wasting, good for nothing
low life, rotten, scumbag so and so's. And yes, I ran out of things to say about recruitment agencies.
landau5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 09:04 PM   #4
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by landau5.8 View Post
low life, rotten, scumbag so and so's. And yes, I ran out of things to say about recruitment agencies.
i mustve scored a good one

very much a prove yourself with these mobs, few ****** assignments etc

you can end up with the cream
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #5
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
i mustve scored a good one

very much a prove yourself with these mobs, few ****** assignments etc

you can end up with the cream
We use them, at least that way I get 12 working weeks out of them before putting them on the books. Usually 12 weeks is a long enough period to see if they are the right person for the job. I will only ever use agencies.
Old 19-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by landau5.8 View Post
100% agree. They are useless scum.
Old 17-10-2014, 07:41 AM   #7
creative
I am Batman

Followup phone calls to all the places you have sent your CV to.
Send your CV again...

Simply make sure your name is first/remembered!

Thats what I did when I was out of work a few years ago.
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2014, 10:05 AM   #8
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Followup phone calls to all the places you have sent your CV to.
Send your CV again...

Simply make sure your name is first/remembered!

Thats what I did when I was out of work a few years ago.
This unfortunately. You just need to hammer into and not give up.
Old 17-10-2014, 11:06 AM   #9
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

agree

get yo stalk on

give me a job and I will go away
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #10
Itsme
Experienced Member

I have always found walking the streets door knocking at businesses, has worked for me, it shows you are sincere in wanting a job.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #11
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
I have always found walking the streets door knocking at businesses, has worked for me, it shows you are sincere in wanting a job.
Worst case they will refer you to the agency they deal with, which might get you in.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2014, 03:02 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its tuff out there , i remember some years ago , a friend of the family turned up with her friend who was an employment coordinator,
what little i remember of talking to the guy was , he said today if you want one single chance of being in the running for a job you will have one chance in every 100 applications because so many others are out after the same thing, so you have to keep plugging, the other thing he said was it most definitely pays to have your resume written up by a pro,
and i believe him ,
he wrote one up for me and all i can say "wow" , the way he set it all out and knowing how i had done my own resume in the past , mine was **** , and after looking at his i would have tossed mine straight in the waste basket,
the resume was comprehensive from employment history to hobbies, marital status, girlfriend, the whole bit.

i would pay someone 200 bucks to write one up for me and be happy to part with the money if i was looking for a job.............. and i would be happy to pay it because i think i`d have a ten times better chance of getting gainful employment.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2014, 05:37 PM   #13
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
he wrote one up for me and all i can say "wow" , the way he set it all out and knowing how i had done my own resume in the past , mine was **** , and after looking at his i would have tossed mine straight in the waste basket,
the resume was comprehensive from employment history to hobbies, marital status, girlfriend, the whole bit.

i would pay someone 200 bucks to write one up for me and be happy to part with the money if i was looking for a job.............. and i would be happy to pay it because i think i`d have a ten times better chance of getting gainful employment.
I had a bit of an inside advantage when I did mine, I got to be involved in hiring my replacement, so got to see the latest in resume writing style, and the ones that stood out, is the style I copied, and I have to say it worked.

Also upload your resume on seek, and upload it every week, alot of employers and agencies look all the time but only look at new uploads.

Another thing, write your resume to suit the job, dont just send the same everytime, look at what the employer wants and change your resume to reflect the key points they need, so you stand out more.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)

Last edited by EA2BA; 17-10-2014 at 05:49 PM.
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #14
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

What sort of work do you do Juan?
Old 17-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #15
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0
HA! I am registered with various recruiting agencies. I have had 2 call backs since January, one resulted in an interview, no Job. Which leads me to the question do they actually do anything?? And the Interview was the result of a recruiter that had me on his books for over 18 months.

Since January I have applied for (And I am not joking) In excess of 60 drafting jobs, (my profession) as well as other positions in motorcycle shops, other service stations, warehouse jobs, plus others. As I said above, I am registered with various recruiting agencies. I would be pushing close to 90 jobs in total. If not more. I have started lose track. But in circa 10 months, and all those applications, I've had 6 call backs, and 3 interviews. Which as you have guessed have led nowhere. Which is really weird for me because whenever I have had an interview, I get the job.

I kept wondering why there was no interview or job. Then I got an email from seek.com a few months ago outlining the Joblisting/application ratio. The email had this figure. 10-109. Next week was 8 for 88, 9 for 94, 10 for 102. You get the point.

That's a 10-1 ratio of applicants to to jobs available. No wondering I'm not finding work......

Its a seriously tough "employers market" out there at the moment. The only consolation I can give you is your not the only one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
What sort of work do you do Juan?
Yes please, a little more info on what you do would be helpful in possibly pointing you in the right direction.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #16
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post

Since January I have applied for (And I am not joking) In excess of 60 drafting jobs, (my profession)
That's a 10-1 ratio of applicants to to jobs available. No wondering I'm not finding work......

Id suggest going direct to the sort of place that employs Draughts-people. In my experience most of us wont pay agency fees to find someone to Draft for us.
The agency of course charges us money to find you so go direct and cut out the middle man.
What discipline do you draft for?

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #17
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Loco View Post
Been unemployed for a while now and finding it hard.
I'm experienced and highly skilled at what I do, but the market has really nosedived in WA.

I know I should be doing more, I just can't think what.
I apply for everything on SEEK, mostly I find that everything applicable is advertised on SEEK. Where else should I be looking?

I have milked my LinkedIn hard, but they have nothing going.

I have tried sending my resume and cover letter to every applicable employer I can find.

Saying the above without qualifying what work or industry you are talking about, is like asking how do I fix my car without mentioning what is wrong with it.

Makes it almost impossible to give relevant advice.

If you are looking for work on a farm as a farm hand the process would be very different to being a farm manager, or working in a fast food joint, or becoming an executive, or being a tradie etc etc.

May be mention what work you are looking for, there is plenty of work in most industries for those that are good at their job.

Good advise on the resume, however depends on what you do, I have worked for close to 30 years in various jobs and have never had a resume, and no one ever cared, work usually found me, as soon as I quit one job someone would get wind of it and call me to come and work for them, been like that since I got my first job at 15, never even had an interview.

I been out of the industry for 7 years now after a career change and I still get calls from past employers who want me to come back to them.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 17-10-2014 at 05:58 PM.
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #18
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been unemployed for more than 12 months and yes it is tough out there..... Afew interviews here and there but nothing solid.

I have been doing my own cover letters and resume's cos i cant afford to pay someone to do it for me.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-10-2014, 11:09 PM   #19
Juan Loco

I didn't want to get bogged down in detail, because I'm not asking about specifics of where to find work but about what I could be doing better.

But here it is:
By qualification, I am an "Accountant." I'm still a CPA and did that for years, could still do any accounting job standing on my head.
By experience, I am a Project Engineer, working on Large Complex Construction Projects. (Desalination plants, Magnatite refineries, Mineral Processing complexes, Port & Rail handling facilities, large Civil pojects, etc.) Unfortunately its that industry that has died in the ****.

I'd be more than happy to go back to Accounting, but that market is flooded. During the boom times companies were importing bean-counters from Asia, India, and the UK, and now the market is saturated. I'm applying everywhere but in many ways I am now "over qualified."

I'm thinking of having my resume "professionally" rewritten. It couldn't hurt to have another version to at least look at and trial.

My biggest problem at the moment is that I am so sick of the rejection. It makes it difficult to push hard.
Old 18-10-2014, 09:14 AM   #20
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Loco View Post
But here it is:
By qualification, I am an "Accountant." I'm still a CPA and did that for years, could still do any accounting job standing on my head.
By experience, I am a Project Engineer, working on Large Complex Construction Projects. (Desalination plants, Magnatite refineries, Mineral Processing complexes, Port & Rail handling facilities, large Civil pojects, etc.) Unfortunately its that industry that has died in the ****.
There is the jig, no surprise you're doing it tough...

If I was an accounting firm, and your experience was as a Project Engineer, I would not hire you.

If I was a Manager in a Construction Company (which incidentally I am) and you applied as a Project Engineer I would not hire you as you are not qualified. We pay our PE around $140K, but would want qualifications.

So...

I'd recommend apply for a Contracts Administrator's / Commercial / QS role in a Construction environment. These roles would make great benefit of a finance qualification and construction experience. No brainer really...a CA will be on a $120K + salary, offer yourself at say 90K and someone will take a punt on you for sure....and once you have a project or two under your belt, you can ask for top dollar.

Try Parsons Brinckerhoff.... I had a mate in a CA role with them for a few years....he had lots of work getting paid more than Sydney guys.

How old are you?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2014, 07:00 PM   #21
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
There is the jig, no surprise you're doing it tough...

If I was an accounting firm, and your experience was as a Project Engineer, I would not hire you.

If I was a Manager in a Construction Company (which incidentally I am) and you applied as a Project Engineer I would not hire you as you are not qualified. We pay our PE around $140K, but would want qualifications.

So...

I'd recommend apply for a Contracts Administrator's / Commercial / QS role in a Construction environment. These roles would make great benefit of a finance qualification and construction experience. No brainer really...a CA will be on a $120K + salary, offer yourself at say 90K and someone will take a punt on you for sure....and once you have a project or two under your belt, you can ask for top dollar.

Try Parsons Brinckerhoff.... I had a mate in a CA role with them for a few years....he had lots of work getting paid more than Sydney guys.

How old are you?
Agree with Stefan (even though he drives classic GTs with the radiator cap off). You're pushing for a position that you were lucky to have in the first place. My wife works for merchant banks and high-street consulting like BCG, Booz Allen, etc. who like well-rounded people with life experience. As a fellow CPA I would recommend that you seek out consulting positions with established firms like EY, Accenture, PwC. These guys will see that you have qualifications and experience that can benefit clients. As I have always found in my professional life people value you a lot more than you value yourself.

Good luck.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #22
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Rewrite your resume for every job. I'm serious. Just do it.
I don't have a professionally written resume, and I personally don't believe in them (I do however have an established author and editor as a sister, so I cheat a bit and ask for advice on english usage).

My resume is set out to emphasise skills, rather than experience. So the first page is literally my five strongest skills that I can use across engineering, music admin roles or patent law (a field I'm interested in getting into), and then discussed those skills with some experience to back me up.
Even having someone you know who has some experience OR is really good with proposals etc to cast their eye over everything before you submit is really handy.

Are your cover letters covering ALL the criteria in the job listing? If they aren't, are the latter ones in the list covered by your resume? Can you combine some? (I was having a convo about this with a friend who had 33 criteria to cover, took an extra person to go "look here at this experience they want, it proves 7 of these criteria if you've done enough of it" etc etc.)

Before you send in your resume ring the place to ask for more info, have a few questions on hand. They'll then have your name in their head.
If you don't hear back within a week or two, ring up and ask them how the process is going, if they want anymore info etc.
Get a written reference. I have an old one from my time as a student member on uni council from the chancellor of my uni. Works a treat.

I feel your pain, as an early stage engineer, there is sfa out there for us right now, and everyone is applying. I'm lucky enough to have a job, but I enjoy throwing my hat in the ring when something potentially better comes up, and the competition is fierce.

Oh, and don't be afraid to just apply for every job under the sun you'd enjoy doing (or deal with doing). Shows your still employable.
Play down your qualifications for lesser roles, or word your cover letter so that you come across as wanting to step back a bit but stay in the field.

Could you do cost control/scheduling work at all? Depending on the state you're in, there's a few jobs in oil and gas kicking about every now and then.

That was probably all over the shop. Sorry about that.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 04:25 AM   #23
Juan Loco

And whilst I'm venting my spleen, gees I hate dealing with the idiots in recruitment agencies. I spend so much time arguing with them. Their puff-piece ads tell you nothing about the job specifics, and they claim to have no more information, but magically they can tell that I "don't have the right skill-set for the job" even though they have no idea about the industry they are recruiting for.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 10:44 AM   #24
Phil67

Yep classic line they feed you, not the right skill set even though I match exactly what they advertise for. I reckon a large % of jobs on seek don't exist, it's just agencies searching for candidates, filling their quota.
Phil67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #25
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil67 View Post
Yep classic line they feed you, not the right skill set even though I match exactly what they advertise for. I reckon a large % of jobs on seek don't exist, it's just agencies searching for candidates, filling their quota.
There is that to a degree but if I'm looking for a Project Engineer, and a recruiter rang me with a candidate that is a qualified Accountant I politely ask him if he had rocks in his head.

Project Engineers really need to be qualified engineers, if something goes wrong or someone is killed the project director will be bordering on criminal charges if they find out the supervising Engineer is an accountant.
Old 18-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #26
Brendo_GSUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
There is that to a degree but if I'm looking for a Project Engineer, and a recruiter rang me with a candidate that is a qualified Accountant I politely ask him if he had rocks in his head.

Project Engineers really need to be qualified engineers, if something goes wrong or someone is killed the project director will be bordering on criminal charges if they find out the supervising Engineer is an accountant.
Not really, Ive been on a few projects where the PM was PRINCE2 certified and all that and it was a shambles run really poorly belw out etc.

Then other projects ive been on the PM is either a Mech engineer or some other qual thats no where near a project manager and they trump the guys with PRINCE quals...

So really its the skills of the individual, but the job market in WA is all money driven as in hire the guy with bear minimum quals or the overseas guy who doesnt know his basic rights and exploit him for the minimum wage.

If i was the OP ild start up my own business if youre a CPA and an aussie that gets you good returns in WA get your ad on Google first page you would go pretty good.

Im looking to swap my chrome roll bars and soft tonneau with the cut outs on my GS ute for just the normal FG FPV soft tonneau cover. Basically i want to do away with the chome bars

Im from Perth so it would be easier if someone from Perth is willing as well. I will drive to you as well.
Brendo_GSUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #27
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendo_GSUte View Post
Not really, Ive been on a few projects where the PM was PRINCE2 certified and all that and it was a shambles run really poorly belw out etc.

Then other projects ive been on the PM is either a Mech engineer or some other qual thats no where near a project manager and they trump the guys with PRINCE quals...

So really its the skills of the individual, but the job market in WA is all money driven as in hire the guy with bear minimum quals or the overseas guy who doesnt know his basic rights and exploit him for the minimum wage.

If i was the OP ild start up my own business if youre a CPA and an aussie that gets you good returns in WA get your ad on Google first page you would go pretty good.
That's not the point...there are good and bad in every trade, but you need to be qualified.

I'm pretty good at working on cars from experience but I can't open up a mechanical workshop if I don't have the qualifications.
Old 29-10-2014, 08:16 PM   #28
stang65
FPRJET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendo_GSUte View Post

This Start your own business. We are in tough time coporates are trying to sqeeze every cent, at the very least you will be able to pick up business from family and friends. Then find a BNI group (business networking)or other business networking group and join. work for yourself and you will never look back. Me I`n not qualified, but if I was so much money to be made if you are and prepared to put in the effort.
Old 19-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #29
Juan Loco

And THAT is precisely why I didn't go into details.
Because people start shooting off on tangents about what type of job THEY think I should be doing based on two sentences they read here.
That's NOT what I asked.

But yes, projects are pretty much dead.
I can and have done QS and cost control (thats how I started in the industry) and would happily do it again. But again, not many roles in a shrinking industry and too many experienced people.

I need ideas on how to unearth opportunities that I'm not finding through SEEK.

Does anybody still advertise jobs in newspapers?
Old 19-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #30
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apart from seek.com.au & employment agencies, I don't think there's any more places where you can find a position; other than through word-of-mouth (i.e. contacting former colleagues & contacts).

The thing that might be most advantageous in your situation is accounting has become very diversified & complex, yet still falls under the single umbrella title. Your angle will be a niche that needs to be maximised and exploited, to give you an edge over other potential candidates.

Perhaps give some further thought into what your specific niche experience can bring to an employer, which offers not only completing the position but also improving specific areas of their business, and which no one else may readily be able to do.

But I feel for you - when the economy changes it makes things very difficult. You might have to hold out for some time for an ideal position to arise, or if there's urgency then be prepared to accept a lesser position which you can build up from. If they mention being "over qualified", that be be countered with you needing to consider your health and well-being (less hectic pace, work/life balance, etc).

As others have said, make sure your resume reads well, and have several versions tailored to certain industries and niches.
Also with the agencies, discuss with them your niche abilities, and see if they can assist with better lining you up in the right sub-section.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post