Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
elusiverunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Tyre Inflation

Well this should come with some good answers, I hope. I like to keep the pressure in my tyres at as an accurate as possible level. To this end I have purchased an electronic pressure gauge and use my trusty old foot pump.

Well yesterday I tried and I do mean tried to get the pressure even on all four tyres. I first tested the pressure and not one tyre was the same pressure. Well after an hour of fiddling I found that the electronic digital pressure gauge gave different readings after pumping up, letting down and proved to be no more accurate than any other gauge.

My question is - Is ther any accurate way to get the same pressure in all four tyres or is the inflation of the tyre a hit and miss afair. Is there a device on the market that will inflate to a correct pressure and then cut off? Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Bolle Window Tint - fitted by Tint a Car
PWR Heat Exchanger, PWR Auto Transmission Oil Cooler - No milkshakes in this car.

After market DRL.
Custom fitted gauge holder with three gauges - Stav of Stingray Car Security.
elusiverunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some servo's have automatic air hoses you just set them to you desired psi and wont go any further i found the one at my local servo quite accurate on my bike.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
SVTVNM
Guzzler

I have always double checked my pressures with a one of those pen type pressure guages after using my own compressor or one at the servo( never trust readings on guages at servos) I have always used a good quality pen guage for years, always run tyres at about 32psi (18"s) I have gone through 3 sets of tyre in the XR8 and on my second in the Mustang and all have worn evenly for the life span of the tyre.
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
FPV GT40
Banned

Just buy a decent tyre pressure gauge, like the ones drag races use for about $50-100, will last you a lifetime (had mine for over 10 years and gets used on several cars every week for that time)and it will read perfect every time this digital crap will give you a different reading every time.

Just did my tyres about 2 hrs ago, took about 3 minutes and they are perfect, and the gauge reads spot on the same every time u use it or double check the pressure.

Use a compressor (have my own) pump the tyres up a little higher than needed, attach the gauge and press the little deflate button on the side till the reading is what you want it to be, reset the gauge to zero, check the reading (should read the same) and do the next tyre, less than a minute per tyre. If you ae really fussy like me go round and check pressure again one after the other, and they should all read spot on now.

Quality Gauge is the secret mate, throw that digi crap into the bin and buy a decent gauge (not from supercrap or similar).

Try somthing like this : http://www.rocketindustries.com.au/s...word=Autometer
FPV GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVNM
I have always double checked my pressures with a one of those pen type pressure guages after using my own compressor or one at the servo( never trust readings on guages at servos) I have always used a good quality pen guage for years,
Yep. What he said.

Service station air guages are like Women. Every one is different.
Old 28-09-2008, 05:03 PM   #6
FPV GT40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane

Service station air guages are like Women
Is that because you just use em and leave em???
Old 28-09-2008, 05:06 PM   #7
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GT40
Is that because you just use em and leave em???
:
Old 28-09-2008, 10:14 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i`m a big fan of those pen gauges as well, they are cheap you can keep 1 in the glove box 1 in the console 1 in the garage and only cost a buck or 2, the gauge ones are expensive, easily damaged ,stolen and many of them loose accuracy for one reason or another, go to 5 different servo`s get 5 different readings.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #9
FPV GT40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
i`m a big fan of those pen gauges as well, they are cheap you can keep 1 in the glove box 1 in the console 1 in the garage and only cost a buck or 2, the gauge ones are expensive, easily damaged ,stolen and many of them loose accuracy for one reason or another, go to 5 different servo`s get 5 different readings.
Pen gauges are very inaccurate and a rough guide to your tyre pressure at best, they will even give you different readings if held at different angles while testing, so which reading do you go off?? You get what you pay for like most things in life...

Why would a high quality professional gauge loose accuracy, and a $3 pen gauge made in china with no callibration or quality control stay accurate longer???? Had mine for about 12 years...never been stolen never been damaged (can't be that hard to not damage it, and any calibrated instrument needs to be looked after and treated with respect). Why would servos give you different readings, and why would you check at different servos, not sure what that is supposed to mean really???? It is your gauge and it will give you the same reading no matter what servo you go to to check your pressure..
Old 30-09-2008, 03:29 AM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GT40
Pen gauges are very inaccurate and a rough guide to your tyre pressure at best, they will even give you different readings if held at different angles while testing, so which reading do you go off?? You get what you pay for like most things in life...

Why would a high quality professional gauge loose accuracy, and a $3 pen gauge made in china with no callibration or quality control stay accurate longer???? Had mine for about 12 years...never been stolen never been damaged (can't be that hard to not damage it, and any calibrated instrument needs to be looked after and treated with respect). Why would servos give you different readings, and why would you check at different servos, not sure what that is supposed to mean really???? It is your gauge and it will give you the same reading no matter what servo you go to to check your pressure..
servo gauges are often dropped, and as i said they do vary from servo to servo and if the pencil gauge is`nt held on the valve properly they will give a different reading , i was reffering more to garage type gauges but even expensive gauges can go belly up, and i had a nice german made personal gauge that lost its pointer year`s ago, however it was knocked around in a mechanics tool box, agreed you get what you pay for most of the time...and if you ever had tools taken out of your car the the cheap pencils looking good, have a look at this review , yes yes its a pommy site but still very interesting, check out the dropped before and after, also the the extra info on each device. http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product...re_gauges.html
Old 28-09-2008, 10:19 PM   #11
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not all servo's the digital ones found in some servo are accurate ive used them and then checked with my pressure gauge and have found them to be spot on. Well the near me anyway
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #12
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Speaking of tyre pressure, what do you guys run in terms of PSI for BOSS powered cars? I was told to run 40psi in the fronts of my GT owing to the weight of the BOSS engine hanging over the front. I tend to then run about 35psi in the rears.

Anyone else?
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #13
BlackLS
yum

Another question, does the recommended tyre pressure factor in the car's weight? What difference does it make?

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #14
Creampuff
149 rwkw of Style

I wonder if I put to much in my tyres, I put 38psi all round. I drive pretty hard and I got 60,000 k's on the last set.(which I was happy with)
Old 29-09-2008, 11:31 PM   #15
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creampuff
I wonder if I put to much in my tyres, I put 38psi all round. I drive pretty hard and I got 60,000 k's on the last set.(which I was happy with)
60K from a set, sounds good to me. Depends on the tyre as to what pressure you should run.
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2008, 12:06 AM   #16
FordFella
Hoon (I wish!)

Pen gauges are the go, they are just so useful and pretty accurate. Theay are good for situations such as 4wding and sand driving. One of the most convenient gizmoes in cars

: If only I were old enough :
FordFella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2008, 11:56 AM   #17
sark021
Starter Motor

Just thought I would throw y two cents worth in..
Stumbled on this thread as I just went out and bought a heavy duty tyre compressor as I am sick to death over the years of finding a servo tyre pump that actualy works (grrrrrr!) when you need it.

Anyways....
I have always run 40psi (warm) and have never ever had any negative wear issues. My previous set of Yokohamas went for 65 0000km of sensible driving and they were just coming onto being replaced when the car was traded. If not the ride but certainly the handling was much better than the recommended vehicle manufacturer pressure.

I run 40psi from a tip that I got from someone many many years ago (from who and from where I no longer remember) and it has always worked for me.

I also hear from certain quarters that the manufacturers recommended pressure is more about preserving comfort for the occupants than anything else.

Just my thoughts anyhow....
sark021 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2008, 04:27 PM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sark021
Just thought I would throw y two cents worth in..
Stumbled on this thread as I just went out and bought a heavy duty tyre compressor as I am sick to death over the years of finding a servo tyre pump that actualy works (grrrrrr!) when you need it.

Anyways....
I have always run 40psi (warm) and have never ever had any negative wear issues. My previous set of Yokohamas went for 65 0000km of sensible driving and they were just coming onto being replaced when the car was traded. If not the ride but certainly the handling was much better than the recommended vehicle manufacturer pressure.

I run 40psi from a tip that I got from someone many many years ago (from who and from where I no longer remember) and it has always worked for me.

I also hear from certain quarters that the manufacturers recommended pressure is more about preserving comfort for the occupants than anything else.

Just my thoughts anyhow....
i think there is a trade off , high tyre presures save fuel and handle but wear out suspension and components faster imo, tyres are also part of the bump absorbing mechanism, finding the happy medium is the key i think, i can remember the tyre placard on my mums old cortina mk1 for general driving 24/26 psi ^^ body roll was free .....but it rode well.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #19
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

jeez, whats with all the 40+ psi tyre pressures? I just go by the little sticker on the door (soft spongy rubber running at 26psi FTW)
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #20
woodsy109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose
jeez, whats with all the 40+ psi tyre pressures? I just go by the little sticker on the door (soft spongy rubber running at 26psi FTW)

Low profile tyres run a higher pressure. I'm guessing you have 15's on your car and even then I personally would be running 30psi. I run 38psi on my 16's and on my bike 32psi front and 36psi rear. Take off about 2psi for a cold tyre measurement if your tyres are warm.
woodsy109 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2008, 08:49 PM   #21
fmc351
let it burn

The sticker on the door reflects the standard tyre, not just size but particular tyre model.

PSI should be read off the tyrewall IMO as each tyre is different.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2008, 10:31 PM   #22
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

i'm just happy if it rolls well and the figures on the literage per 100 guage show the usual.

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
GORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #23
HLC
Audi S3

i run my 17's at around 38psi. ran my 16's at the same too.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:41 PM   #24
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

as above, 17's @ 38psi all round.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:51 PM   #25
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

On ebay US, go buy a SNAP ON tyre pressure gauge. You will never look back. Make sure you get the normal one for cars tho, and this goes up in 1psi increments and is a fantastic quality gauge.
I run my pressures at 38psi fronts, and around 32-36 on the rears (depending how they are wearing at the time). 245/40/18s on a F6..
Old 06-10-2008, 07:51 PM   #26
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

ahaha always GasOLane with the comedy option

also

check with multiple guages. You'll eventually find one that is right. or just double check.

also also
38psi+ or get back into your dress
Old 06-10-2008, 11:14 PM   #27
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Looks like the general consensus of opinion is 38 psi. With the 235's I think thats the way to go to get the best out of the tyres with regard to grip, wear and steering.

Regarding a reliable tyre pressure gauge, I have had a Jamec-PEM Challenger inflator with gauge for some years now, the gauge is always spot on, never varies at all even between the 1 psi marks when rechecking a few minutes later or even a day later. Even some weeks later the pressure is the same barring climate temperature changes or slight leaks. I check the tyres on the four cars regularly, the gauge is very consistent each time.

I always check them when its cold, in the garage. I find if parked outside, the side that is in the sun has slightly higher pressures. Also when the weather warms up in Spring and Summer, the pressures are found to rise slightly, so I let a little out.

I have found the pencil gauges make the job too cumbersome, letting air out each time when disconnecting to check or inflate further, also more inaccurate than what I have now. Its so much better with the inflator and gauge running off a compressor where you can adjust the pressure finely without disconnecting.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2008, 11:47 PM   #28
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just use one of these in the appropriate scale:

It will be six times as accurate as any of the 'good' gauges mentioned so far in this thread.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 06:20 PM   #29
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

40 psi is the go. Maybe 38 if I'm going on a long road trip to soften the ride a little.
As for servo gauges they are all rubbish. Buy ya own and make sure it's not a cheapie.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 09:06 PM   #30
boss 300

hi fellas,i run 38 on my yoki 245/40/18=55.000 km. happy about them,my previus dunlop 30.000 km,f1 good year 35.000,i tink i will stick whit the yokohama,hoping to hit 60.000km![in my opinion 38-40 psi is a good combination]have a great day.
tony