Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
VZSS250

Default Who's planning on buying a Euro car in the next 5 years?

Hi Guys,

I was wondering how many of us are planning on buying a european car in the next 5 years and whether the Ford/Holden offerings are mere stepping stones to bigger and better things from europe or whether people view the aussie offerings as genuine alternatives (i.e. do you aspire to own a european car or is a GT or Typhoon all you ever want?)

My next car is going to be an FG GT despite my initial reservations (actually they were not reservations - I was clear that I disapproved of the designers' attempts to make the car look smaller, but the pics from the motor show of the FPVs look great). But after that I desperately want a BMW 335i in the driveway or maybe a Porsche Cayman.

To me the european manufacturers offer something the aussie manufacturers cannot - a choice in body styles and a bottomless pit of options. You can have a small coupe, big coupe, two seater convertible, four seater convertible , hard top convertible, LWB cars, hatches etc.

The aussie manufacturers offer one bodystyle in the performance range - a comparatively large four door family sedan. Holden also have the LWB range which I am thankful for since I own one at the moment!

I'm just trying to gauge whether I'm losing the plot or whether there is a general consensus that euro cars are more desirable in these affluent times where a $70-80k car is nothing to write home about.

Last edited by VZSS250; 05-03-2008 at 02:32 PM.
VZSS250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
irlewy86
Meep Meep

You test drive, then you decide which one is going to put a smile on your dial. There are a lot of cars I like but know I would get fed up with over time (or more quickly than I should)....

So basically whatever floats your boat.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought one last year. Does that count? VVVVV
Old 05-03-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by VZSS250
But after that I desperately want a BMW 335i in the driveway or maybe a Porsche Cayman.
Slightly different classes those 2 lol! A small sporty car vs a big lumbering (although extremely quick and powerful in turbo form) SUV (eek! I hate that Americanism).

I think the Aussie stuff holds it's own against the european competition. Both the Falcon and Commodore are extremely good cars for the money.

Dunno if it will be in the next 5 years but I can see myself getting something european in the future. Mainly because I'm thinking of getting a small car so VW, Audi, BMW, Ford (Focus, Fiesta) are really the main ones I'm looking at. But then I'm also thinking Mustang too so....

But if it was a large powerful 4 door I was after the aussies are definitely top of the list over BMW, Mercedes, Audi and whoever else makes them that size. Just can't beat the value for money, plus the fact they are engineered for aussie conditions.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #5
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
Slightly different classes those 2 lol! A small sporty car vs a big lumbering (although extremely quick and powerful in turbo form) SUV (eek! I hate that Americanism).
I think you got Cayman and Cayenne mixed up. Cayman is Boxter and Carrera thrown in a blender. Cayenne is the SUV.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 05:20 PM   #6
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
I think you got Cayman and Cayenne mixed up. Cayman is Boxter and Carrera thrown in a blender. Cayenne is the SUV.
Very right, I did too. I take it back :togo:

Didnt Jeremy Clarkson say that the Carrera was a better car than the Cayman anyway? Not that I would buy a car based on his judgement. I think I'm just digging myself a bigger hole here so I will just shut up :

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 04:50 PM   #7
BAFalconXT
Sold...

Most european cars are budget basement taxi's over there. Send them here, double the price and people think they are luxury.

Unless I need a specific vehicle for work, that is not made here. I will always buy Australian. Commodores and Falcons the best value for money.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:42 PM   #8
bd737

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAFalconXT
Most european cars are budget basement taxi's over there. Send them here, double the price and people think they are luxury.

Unless I need a specific vehicle for work, that is not made here. I will always buy Australian. Commodores and Falcons the best value for money.
Aussie cars can't be beaten in value for money! What would the full-size RWD Euro equivalent of say a Fairmont Ghia set you back? And the Fairmont will probably go harder and look nicer too!

I read a review of the Fairlane previously, mentioning that you get 95% of the refinement of a Euro luxury cruiser, at half the price, yet they don't have the same 'social standing'.

That's definately true - many 'hoi polloi' ( :king: ) out there seem to have the preconception that if it's Aussie made, it's rubbish, and that only Euro-engineered is worthy. While there are many nice Euro cruisers out there, my $20 to $50k is better spent locally.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:23 PM   #9
Steffo
LPG > You

I'm on my second Euro car, and the next probably will be Euro too. Don't think I'll be changing allegiance any time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
Didnt Jeremy Clarkson say that the Carrera was a better car than the Cayman anyway?
He said the Carrera was better for bragging rights only, and if the Cayman S had an LSD from the factory, the Carrera wouldn't be able to keep up anywhere.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #10
Carby

Yeah once Holden and Ford close up local production of RWD vehicles I'll be looking at RWD Euro's Though a Caddy looks interesting also! Unfortunately I can't see either Ford or Holden being around in a manufacturing sense for a great deal longer. Seems everyone wants a bloody SUV or something else with a Toyota badge on it.
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 08:14 PM   #11
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

By Australian and be proud i say, if Ford/Holden make a car that suits you needs then why not.

I still turn my head to look at a BA GT go buy where as the only Euro's that stand out to me are AMG/M3 etc..
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 12:22 AM   #12
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
By Australian and be proud i say, if Ford/Holden make a car that suits you needs then why not.

I still turn my head to look at a BA GT go buy where as the only Euro's that stand out to me are AMG/M3 etc..

True enough.

318i/E220... uh.. sorry, what? You spent 60 grand on a German toaster? Nice.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #13
Falcon4L
'04 BA XT

I would love a porsche carrera... but I dont think its happening too soon. lol

But I love my Fords too much so I'd probably rather be the guy in the F6 pulling up next to the carrera to blow his doors off.

80 series Turbo Diesel Cruiser
Falcon4L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 08:43 PM   #14
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll probably be in another Japanese or Australian car after my WRX. I want to get a house so probably wouldn't have the money for a nice Euro anyway.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 11:34 PM   #15
MRJUCY
Fordless

Australia simply isn't a big enough market to manufacture a car for every niche but no where else makes what I require either so I'll be sticking with Falcon for the foreseeable future.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 05:34 PM   #16
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Australia simply isn't a big enough market to manufacture a car for every niche but no where else makes what I require either so I'll be sticking with Falcon for the foreseeable future.
Spot on mate. Show me a rear drive v8, that handles, looks the part and has over 350hp, comfortable on cruises, decent space for under $60k. Some how a BMW 320i would not cut the mustard for me comparing the same price.

Oh sure a BMW 545i is a decent saloon but at $200k...

All good and well to say European cars are better (and they are) but at what price.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:00 AM   #17
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR_Strider_GuY
Spot on mate. Show me a rear drive v8, that handles, looks the part and has over 350hp, comfortable on cruises, decent space for under $60k. Some how a BMW 320i would not cut the mustard for me comparing the same price.

Oh sure a BMW 545i is a decent saloon but at $200k...

All good and well to say European cars are better (and they are) but at what price.
Remember that is just in this part of the world. I don't have any figures at hand, but the BMW 5 series/Merc E Class is about the same price as Falcon/Commodore in Europe, considering living costs etc. are all relative.

In NZ, used Euros (and Jappas) shiit all over aussie cars in bang for bucks. I could pick up a mid ninetys V12 Merc S class or BMW 7 series for the same price as an AU Fairlane V8 (12k upwards). I know which one I'd rather spend my hard earned on lol.
At the same time a 2000 M5 BMW and E55 Benz goes for around VT-VY 300kw GTS money (45-55k). Irrelevant, but thats my situation, so yeah, I'll be buying a Euro, among others as soon as I can.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 02:01 PM   #18
tallica1
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
Remember that is just in this part of the world. I don't have any figures at hand, but the BMW 5 series/Merc E Class is about the same price as Falcon/Commodore in Europe, considering living costs etc. are all relative.

In NZ, used Euros (and Jappas) shiit all over aussie cars in bang for bucks. I could pick up a mid ninetys V12 Merc S class or BMW 7 series for the same price as an AU Fairlane V8 (12k upwards). I know which one I'd rather spend my hard earned on lol.
At the same time a 2000 M5 BMW and E55 Benz goes for around VT-VY 300kw GTS money (45-55k). Irrelevant, but thats my situation, so yeah, I'll be buying a Euro, among others as soon as I can.
Very true! I live in NZ too, soon moving to QLD like the rest of NZ lol.

My Dad bought a 1993 Merc SL600 (V12), when it first came out they retailed for $350,000...he bought his 6 months ago for $25,000K. Before that he owned a HSV VXII Clubsport R8 that he sold for $27k, which he said was a really nice car but since he is moving to QLD (I'm following him there too) there is no point in taking an HSV (which are made over there) over as it will only loose value more so, so he intends on shipping the Merc over and selling it there thinking it would be worth around $45k in QLD according to the prices of other cars alike on carsales.com.au.

After selling the Merc he thinking of buying another HSV lol the VE or VF if it's out then.
tallica1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #19
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo

Are these euros NZ New or used jap imports as I would imagine there would be some difference in price between them.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 06:14 PM   #20
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
Are these euros NZ New or used jap imports as I would imagine there would be some difference in price between them.
Generally both, although NZ new examples with history usually demand a higher price. Saw a striped XR8 like yours out by Kumeu today... wasn't you was it?
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #21
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

euro cars dont do it for me styling wise, so no, i wont be getting one

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #22
PoMmYwOG

aussie cars are great value for money, althought if i could afford a euro i would buy one.

I've driven a few and they out do any holden or ford i've driven...

i drove a 2004 M3 with the SMG box and it was totally awesome...i then drove a VE GTS and the GTS had nothing on it in my opinion, the GTS was probably a bit quicker as it had a tune and exhaust done (380kw) but noway the GTS would be quicker off the mark or in cornering or in comfort...
the GTS sounded better tho lol as did the XR8 i was behind the other day...

I still cant get over how nice the SMG gearbox is. The way the computer controls the clutch is amazing and how u can set how hard you want it to take off and shift by a switch...wish holden and ford would bring out a box like that :(

ultimate dream car is the 911GT2 in silver or black...

06' Mazda SP23
5spd auto
Luxury pack
PoMmYwOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 01:16 PM   #23
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I get bored of cars way too quick to want to same thing over and over, I want something new and exciting every time. Right now I am going through a Toyota FJ Cruiser phase.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 06:36 PM   #24
RATT
In a Pug..

Aussie made for me for now.
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 11:22 AM   #25
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
Aussie made for me for now.
So we can look forward to you owning a Camry any time soon RATT?
:
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #26
RATT
In a Pug..

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
So we can look forward to you owning a Camry any time soon RATT?
:
If they had a turbo rwd version? Maybe..
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 02:03 PM   #27
Binnie
EB11 falcon GLI

Nope, i cant see my self driving anything euro for a long time i would perfer to ride Ausie any day

FORDS IN THE PARK

FTF Car Club of NSW
Binnie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 06:42 PM   #28
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Aussie made for me to, till they stop building them here!! Wouldnt mind a new X5 wagon to but no rush for that one!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 07:12 PM   #29
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Support the local product if it meets your requirements and value for $$$ expectation.

There are no Euros (10yr old M's & AMG's aside) available for GT-GTP money that deliver similar levels of performance, comfort and modern appointments. And I don't see the point of buying a 10 yo car thats probably been flogged from new for that amount of money.

As much as like my cars, spending big bucks on them is not my thing. Paying 100's of thou for a vehicle does not register on my radar now, or in the longer term.

Rather spend more on my boat!

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 11:55 PM   #30
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
There are no Euros (10yr old M's & AMG's aside) available for GT-GTP money that deliver similar levels of performance, comfort and modern appointments.
I went the European route simply for the fuel consumption factor. Once the local manufacturers offer either a Turbo Diesel Territory or Falcon, then I might be interested in one to replace the EL with. Until then, the only Diesel's available in a large, family sized car are the Japanese (Mazda 6) or Korean (Captiva). My aim is to have a car that can comfortably move a family and also have a ton of torque for towing with great fuel economy.
The 307 is a 2.0L TD which is a wagon, so it meets the moving family criteria. It also has a towing capacity 200kgs less than the standard BF Falcon XT automatic, and it's a manual! I'm sure if the 307 was an auto, it would have the same, if not greater, towing capacity than a car with an engine capacity twice it's size.

By the way, I never bothered getting a tow bar on the 307 as I have the EL for towing already. I.e. The 307 will never be used for towing as I already have a cheap car to do that in. I just used the towing capacity as an example and it is something that I'll be looking for with my future purchases, especially for towing a boat when I am allowed to buy one.