Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Young drivers banned from Cruze turbo

Young drivers banned from Cruze turbo
By Paul PottingerThe Sunday Telegraph11 March 2011

Thousands of young Australian drivers are to be banned from driving the new version of the Holden Cruze.

Although it has won the maximum five stars in official crash safety testing, the Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads has refused to allow learner and provisional drivers an exemption to drive the 1.4iTi Cruze because its small petrol engine is turbo-charged.

But the Department will allow inexperienced road users to drive the much more powerful Cruze 2.0 diesel manual, because turbo diesels are exempted from the ban. The 1.4iTi develops a mild 103kW and 200Nm; the diesel 120kW and a formidable 360Nm.

The Department’s equivalent bodies in every state and territory have agreed to exempt the Cruze from the blanket ban on turbo petrol models with a capacity greater than 700cc subject to applicants completing an online application form.

In NSW, the Roads and Traffic Authority was forced to make the exemptions available after heavy criticism by the State Opposition and media of the glaring inconsistencies in its banned list of supposedly “high-performance” cars.

But Holden spokeswoman Emily Perry says the Queensland licensing body could not be swayed. “It’s not boy racers we’re going for with this car,” she says.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Insanity. On the other hand, what output could you get from the engine with a tune?
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
ray38l

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Insanity. On the other hand, what output could you get from the engine with a tune?
no more then a new base model commodore or falcon which are legal for p platers
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Why don't they just do what they do for motorbikes, and work it on a power to weight ratio!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Remember if a public servant shows intelligence, ambition and the ability to think outside the square and judge each issue on its merit they are made redundent before they can actually threaten the "moron society" in the senior ranks.

Two ways to retain a management position:

1) work hard and excel.
2) assassinate any underlings that show potential.

When was the last time you saw a public servant work hard or excel.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Remember if a public servant shows intelligence, ambition and the ability to think outside the square and judge each issue on its merit they are made redundent before they can actually threaten the "moron society" in the senior ranks.

Two ways to retain a management position:

1) work hard and excel.
2) assassinate any underlings that show potential.

When was the last time you saw a public servant work hard or excel.......
My old man has been a public servant since 1978, trying to work hard and excel is career suicide. He put a big managers nose out of joint a long time ago, long story short, he doesn't work in that district anymore.

I got a turbo diesel LV Ford Focus, 100KW, 340nm in 1300kg, legal on P plates, lol.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 11-03-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

You watch, just because this car is being built here by them the law will change....
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Seems nothing has changed......

When this whole turbo thing was introduced you could drive a NA Porsche but not any model of Saab.

Even the mighty Dihatsu Copen was on the banned list at one stage.. perhaps it still is.

When they interviewed the minister on the radio, he didn't even know that every Saab was turbo charged... yet his spiel prior to saying that fact was that it was about safety etc etc etc blah blah blah...
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #9
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Even the mighty Dihatsu Copen was on the banned list at one stage.. perhaps it still is.
Thats the car I was thinking of when reading the OP.
43kw of 0.7 litre turbo power.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Forrest Gump must be running Queensland Transport.

Stupid is as stupid does....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #11
MexicanBatman
Banned

i remember years ago when i was on P's in VIC it was on power to weight 120kw a ton

but then they changed it and made it stupid...

you can still drive an E49 charger under the laws, (crazy shiz in un trained hands) even an aurion can rocket down the 1/4 faster than most older V8s yet the stupid government doesn't see it like that... oh it got a turbo, sorry its banned...

not all turbo cars are banned, gutless ones like the smart and the above mentioned daihatsu arent

me i couldnt care less as im licensed but it was a little bit of an issue when i had a 4.0L V8 soarer and the missus was going to get her license untill i talked her out of it LOL slower than a 4cyl hybrid camry, but banned LOL WTF, yep thats cos its a big bad V8
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #12
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

They will just buy a commodore then....
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2011, 08:04 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

They have exemptions here in Victoria but its very hard to get one, and it has to meet certain criteria. Under 100Kw/Tonne, family car with 4 doors, stuff like ISOFIX mounts for child seats etc.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #14
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh well. I'm sure young p platers can find better cars to buy.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #15
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with the current laws, power to ratio is very very dangerous. When I was on my p plates around 5 years ago and the law was power to weight ratio, 2 of my mates had V8's. One was a VR SS and the other was an EL XR8.
Now both of the cars were legal to drive on P plates. Now in the wrong hands of a inexpirenced P plater and just a few mods, this could be dangerous.

The reason why they do not use power to weight, is that a person may have a car under the power to rate ratio, but has done work to it. How are they going to make sure everyone does not mod there car to increase the power. A person could start with a car that is under power to weight ratio, but may end up with something that they do not have the experience to control.

Also the fact that a older V8 may be slower than today's falcon or commodore, but toady's cars have airbags and more safety features. The risk of death or injury in a new falcon commodore is less by far than an older slower V8.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #16
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
I agree with the current laws, power to ratio is very very dangerous. When I was on my p plates around 5 years ago and the law was power to weight ratio, 2 of my mates had V8's. One was a VR SS and the other was an EL XR8.
Now both of the cars were legal to drive on P plates. Now in the wrong hands of a inexpirenced P plater and just a few mods, this could be dangerous.

The reason why they do not use power to weight, is that a person may have a car under the power to rate ratio, but has done work to it. How are they going to make sure everyone does not mod there car to increase the power. A person could start with a car that is under power to weight ratio, but may end up with something that they do not have the experience to control.

Also the fact that a older V8 may be slower than today's falcon or commodore, but toady's cars have airbags and more safety features. The risk of death or injury in a new falcon commodore is less by far than an older slower V8.
but this very site has the old not so slow V8!!
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #17
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Another great success in the fight against P-Platers in high power cars..
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #18
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

My question is what kind of p plater would want a cruze?? Lol!!
Old 12-03-2011, 12:09 AM   #19
Bossxr8
Peter Car

How will the Ecoboost Falcon go?

Will it be banned too?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2011, 12:16 AM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8

Will it be banned too?
Chances are in Victoria, yes, its a family car but I reckon its going to breach 100Kw/Tonne.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:55 AM   #21
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:

Will it be banned too?
Good point. But the cars target 2 very different buyers IMO.

Still, if the Turbo Cruze gets an exemption then Ford can argue the same for the Eco Falcon.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #22
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

Will it be banned too?
To Queensland Transport, anything with a petrol turbo is bad.

To the officials you may as well have Dick Johnson's 600 hp Sierra turbo engine under the bonnet.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2011, 01:09 AM   #23
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

i havent had anything to do with the "cruz" but the other day i was walking past hire car one parked in the street and as i got to the back of the car i seen a young bloke (mid 20s) down looking under the car.

i asked if everything was ok? and he answered... " yeah, all good. i was just looking for the ancor. this is the slowest thing i have ever driven. "

........lol, apparently he wasnt impressed with it.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #24
Mick K.

Is this another Holden marketing tactic? Picture the advert - "Holden Cruze turbo - so powerful some states have banned it". Then see on A Current Affair Qld P platers crossing the border to buy from unscrupulous northern NSW dealers!
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #25
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick K.
Is this another Holden marketing tactic? Picture the advert - "Holden Cruze turbo - so powerful some states have banned it". Then see on A Current Affair Qld P platers crossing the border to buy from unscrupulous northern NSW dealers!
The problem here is dealers don't care if your on your p's. before buying my car I test drove a hand ful in nsw and showed a nsw p license, as long as they sell the car they don't care if you can legally drive it. One even suggested that if I just took the turbo badge off average cop wouldn't pick it
Old 12-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #26
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Without sparking a big uproar over safety features, new car vs old car, it doesn't matter which car an inexperienced driver is at the wheel. If they are going to be an idiot behind the wheel, they're going to kill themselves in a car.

So these laws the gov't bought in are pathetic. Even a power to weight ratio won't work. What really needs to happen is to teach young drivers how to drive properly. Not the pathetic way it's done now.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #27
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Outdated mentality, many global manufacturers are looking at downsizing engines with turbos and direct injection as a way to get better fuel economy and meet tougher emissions requirements.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #28
dave289
Banned

Are you sure its for L platers too? I have let my 17 year old drive my cv8 monaro which is legal to do so in nsw.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #29
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
Are you sure its for L platers too? I have let my 17 year old drive my cv8 monaro which is legal to do so in nsw.
Yeah i don't think any state has restrictions on L drivers, you can drive a F430 if you wanted.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #30
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is not much of an issue with a learner in a powerful car.

The main problem with low experience young drivers on their own are:

1) recognising a potential problem early enough avoid it
2) reacting correctly to an event
3) doing silly things as emotion over rides logic
4) innate belief in their own ability and immortality
5) difficulty in separating reality from fiction (the TV/Playstation generation)

Having an older more experienced person (who usually owns the powerful car so is familiar with its capability) sitting in the left seat providing or teaching "correct" decision making is a major safety asset.

But as far as the "turbo cruise" issue.

Unfortunately in most of these situations the decisions are make by people who have very small grasp on reality outside their own little worlds and just want to make the issue someone else's problem.

Look at some of the stupidity that has been forced on us:

Turbos and V8s are dangerous therefore everything else is safe.
Alcopops cause binge drinking, beer wine and spirits don't.
Semi-auto guns kill people so other guns are perfectly safe.
All Muslims are terrorists therefore everyone else is not.
Anyone who has anything to do with children is a paedophile unless unequivocally proven otherwise (and then still suspect)
Exceeding a number on a sign is instant death, driving 10km/h under is safe.
Cutting down a tree is a bigger crime than breaking, entering and stealing.
Feeding a Dingo on Fraser Island is a greater crime than drink driving causing death.

And it goes on and on.......

While we keep voting in the idiots who allow this to happen then it will keep happening. This is not party specific it is just as bad in all of them.

And the really scary bit is that no matter who you put in power, unless they give the public service and the "academic expert advisory boards" regular enemas the same sloppy mess is going to keep seeping out all over us..........again and again and again.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post