Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default FG Falcon Upgrade Delivers More Equipment and Better Fuel Economy

Ford Australia today announced a significant upgrade to its award-winning FG Falcon, with the new range boasting more equipment and better fuel economy, as well as compliance with the upcoming Euro IV emissions regulations.

The upgrade is marked by the introduction of additional safety and technology features on sedan and Ute models, including the acclaimed ZF six-speed auto as the default automatic transmission for the entire petrol FG Falcon range.

Safety equipment levels on XR6 and XR6 Turbo Ute models have been improved with the addition of side head/thorax airbags as standard equipment, while Bluetooth mobile phone integration and iPod integration will both now be fitted as standard across all FG Falcon sedans and Utes<sup>1</sup>.

Previously both technology features were only standard on the luxury performance G6E Turbo model, although they were available as an option across the rest of the Falcon range.

Fuel economy improvements of up to 8.5 per cent have also been achieved on individual Falcon models, as a result of the transition to the ZF six-speed automatic and a host of hardware upgrades, software revisions and calibration enhancements.

In addition to the automatic transmission, hardware upgrades include the development of a new catalytic converter, which incorporates the latest catalyst technology with a higher cell density within the catalyst brick and a new washcoat.

A number of software changes have also been made to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), to deliver emissions, driveability and fuel efficiency improvements, including:

• Optimised cold start and warm up calibration
  • Optimised hot idle calibration
  • Revised pedal progression in line with Ford global DNA to provide a more progressive and linear launch profile
  • Minor transmission shift schedule changes for optimised upshift and cruise gear selection
  • Enhanced Deceleration Fuel Shut-Off (DFSO) for optimal urban fuel economy
ZF six-speed automatic

The five-speed automatic transmission has been phased out on naturally aspirated petrol variants of Falcon sedan and Ute, and replaced with the highly acclaimed ZF six-speed automatic.

All Falcon variants powered by either the 4.0-litre I6 or 4.0-litre I6 Turbo engines are now available with the six-speed auto either as a standard feature or an option. The Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual continues as the standard transmission on XR sedans and all Falcon Ute models.

A new six-speed column shift mechanism has been designed for the entry-level workhorse Falcon Utes, so customers can still utilise the extra passenger capacity and flexibility of three across seating provided by the optional column shift auto.

Improved fuel economy

All naturally aspirated petrol Falcon sedans equipped with an automatic transmission now have a fuel consumption rating of 9.9 L/100km, which is an improvement of 5.7 per cent on the XT, G6 and XR6 models and a gain of two per cent on the G6E.

Exhaust emissions have also improved on these models as a result of the fuel consumption reductions, with all now producing just 236 grams of CO2 per km, which equates to a 5.5 star Greenhouse Rating.

Naturally aspirated Ute variants have generated an even greater economy improvement, with an 8.5 per cent reduction in fuel consumption on automatic Falcon Ute, R6 and XR6 models.

Falcon XR8

Falcon XR8 sedan and Ute models are not part of this Euro IV upgrade for the FG Falcon range. Details regarding plans for the iconic XR8 nameplate will be revealed at a later date.

Territory

The Territory is already Euro IV compliant, following the suite of technical developments introduced with the SY Territory MkII program last year.

These developments included a new, latest generation catalytic converter, a revised powertrain calibration, improved aerodynamic performance from the new front end design and reduced kerb weights on individual models.

Pricing

The upgraded FG Falcon range represents even greater value for money for large car customers, with the additional standard safety and technology features more than offsetting the slight increases to the Manufacturer's List Price (MLP) on most models.

MLP on the G6 increases by $500, yet it gains almost $2,500 worth of additional equipment with the ZF six-speed auto, Bluetooth mobile phone integration and iPod integration now fitted as standard.

MLP on the R6 Ute increases by $500, while it picks up over $1,000 worth of safety and technology features, along with the option of the previously unavailable ZF six-speed automatic transmission.

Manufacturer's List Price for the new FG Falcon range:

1iPod integration not available on Utes fitted with optional column shift automatic
* Combined fuel consumption as per ADR 81/02
^ MLP not inclusive of Luxury Car Tax (LCT)

Source: Ford Media

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Great move making the ZF 6 speed the default auto for all the models, no mention on the new LPG variants yet.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Nice!
Old 07-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting to see that the G6ET has increased most in value yet does not gain anything in this revision.

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

WG Fiesta ST Manual, Black.
JutroXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JutroXR8
Interesting to see that the G6ET has increased most in value yet does not gain anything in this revision.
The cash cow of the range being asked to provide more "milk" I fear.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Oh i was right.. ZF Standard across the range...

Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #7
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Wow zf standard. That is impressive.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Not clear when it starts, 1 July or like from now?
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
Busted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Not clear when it starts, 1 July or like from now?

I'd bet my left one its not till q3 so 1st July.
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 04:54 PM   #10
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted
I'd bet my left one its not till q3 so 1st July.
Cars go into build at end of April...

Therefore late May / early June they will be in dealers.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:41 PM   #11
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

It was bound to happen, ZF 6 spd as standard accross the range sooner or latter.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #12
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shoudl have made side airbags standard too... six speed auto is $2000 option on XR6T?? WHY?
Old 08-04-2010, 12:29 AM   #13
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

STILL no HID/projector whatever-they-are-called headlights?? Ford are having a laugh. Holden have had these standard in high models since VZ ffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Shoudl have made side airbags standard too... six speed auto is $2000 option on XR6T?? WHY?
Turbos get the higher torque rated version of the ZF, it must cost more.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 07:14 AM   #14
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
STILL no HID/projector whatever-they-are-called headlights?? Ford are having a laugh. Holden have had these standard in high models since VZ ffs.
But is that a deal breaker for buyers?
Obviously not as most people are happy with the usual lights.

HID/Projector lights are great but don't forget that the FG suffered some heavy cost cuts to get
it over the line and we're only now getting features that should have been standard at release.

Last edited by jpd80; 08-04-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #15
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Well if VF is due around September and the Coyote V8 powered XR8 is due around then I wonder if that is meant to counter that. Because that V8 will surely create some hype for Ford.

As for the ZF being standard across the board I think that is terrific. I would think that a Euro4 badge at the least should be added.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #16
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Well if VF is due around September and the Coyote V8 powered XR8 is due around then I wonder if that is meant to counter that. Because that V8 will surely create some hype for Ford.

As for the ZF being standard across the board I think that is terrific. I would think that a Euro4 badge at the least should be added.
I beleive that Holden are about to drop the price, or atleast bring out discounts on the SS in the coming months. I guess to counter the coyote somewhat.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 02:05 AM   #17
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
But is that a deal breaker for buyers?
Obviously not as most people are happy with the usual lights.

HID/Projector lights are great but don't forget that the FG suffered some heavy cost cuts to get
it over the line and we're only now getting features that should have been standard at release.
It doesn't need to be a deal breaker, it's about Ford finally moving into the 21st century and offering standard features that can match the competition. Holden, Toyota, Nissan and Honda all have this feature, and I can tell you that FG was supposed to have it as well since all the concept drawings had HID lights (which looked very nice indeed). I'm sick of accountants running every aspect the company. In this day and age, something as simple as HID lights should be standard atleast on higher models like G series. Holden is a local manufacturer with a relatively small output volume just like Ford, yet they've been able to do it since 2002 - Ford needs to get with the program, atleast offer these kinds of things as options.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 06:52 AM   #18
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Personally, I would like HID lights to be banned, they are a dangerous distraction that shifts your focus on the road.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:55 AM   #19
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It doesn't need to be a deal breaker, it's about Ford finally moving into the 21st century and offering standard features that can match the competition. Holden, Toyota, Nissan and Honda all have this feature, and I can tell you that FG was supposed to have it as well since all the concept drawings had HID lights (which looked very nice indeed). I'm sick of accountants running every aspect the company. In this day and age, something as simple as HID lights should be standard atleast on higher models like G series. Holden is a local manufacturer with a relatively small output volume just like Ford, yet they've been able to do it since 2002 - Ford needs to get with the program, atleast offer these kinds of things as options.
Holden hasnt had HID since 2002, its had projectors since then.
Something the Fairlane had 20 years ago.

Pretty sure only the VM Caprice gets HIDs, the rest of the VEs get projector lights.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #20
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You obviously have Ford confused with another loss making outfit.....
Old 08-04-2010, 07:28 AM   #21
HSE2

Quote:

Unless I have missed something Ford aren't even referring to this as a Mk2 or series 2 update. It’s still being referred to as FG in a similar way to what the VE has gone through.

I must say I am underwhelmed all things considered. The FG is nearly two years old that key age where original owners are looking at renewing, there is the 50th thing going on, for mine I would have thought the temptation to celebrate with a bit more of a refresh would have been a good shot in the arm.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 07:41 AM   #22
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Unless I have missed something Ford aren't even referring to this as a Mk2 or series 2 update. It’s still being referred to as FG in a similar way to what the VE has gone through.

I must say I am underwhelmed all things considered. The FG is nearly two years old that key age where original owners are looking at renewing, there is the 50th thing going on, for mine I would have thought the temptation to celebrate with a bit more of a refresh would have been a good shot in the arm.
It also shows you how tight the budget is, like Holden makeover of the VE it's all under the skin.

On Euro IV I-6 decision:
Looking at replacing I-6 with V6 and making 600 people redundant would have put an
icy shiver through Marin Burela as it would have forced FoA $200 million further into the red.
And that would have been before he even started looking at relative engine costs...
Old 08-04-2010, 08:30 AM   #23
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2

Looks like they are following Holden.. The VE has not has a freshen up in 4 years nearly, seems the days of Series II / Mark II upgrades are over. :alien2:
Old 08-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #24
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Looks like they are following Holden.. The VE has not has a freshen up in 4 years nearly, seems the days of Series II / Mark II upgrades are over. :alien2:

Thats the way I read it. Budget constraints are a given in this environment.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #25
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Since VY in 2002 you mean :P
Old 07-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #26
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surprised at the ZF offering, I thought they would have used the Ford 6-Speed Auto? Luckily head office told me not to update our fleet cars until mid year, otherwise we'd have a 5-Speed XR6 and not a ZF XR6! Very impressed Ford. Now I'm left wondering what is happening with the XR8, will there be a G8E, what's the go with the new LPG and will the FG start selling in improved numbers with these updates?
Old 07-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #27
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No mention of specification upgrades ?? LED tailights, electric passenger seat G6E, fast glass, up/down G6E etc ????
Old 07-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #28
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
No mention of specification upgrades ?? LED tailights, electric passenger seat G6E, fast glass, up/down G6E etc ????
None of that, it's just a Series II FG,

- Emissions improvement,
- 6-speed auto,
- thorax air bags on Utes,
- maybe some nick knacks for G6....

Oh and a price increase too..
Old 07-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #29
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what is "fast glass"??
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #30
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
what is "fast glass"??
Fast glass is where the drivers window goes up or down with just a touch of the button. Not having to hold the button down to get window up or down.
Fail safe if fingers in the way. Another means of differentiating from XT and G6.