Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-04-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation VFacts March..Mazda wins AGAIN!!!!

Mazda3 extends its winning streak
Joshua Dowling
April 3, 2012 - 4:10PM
Read laterComments 1

But the Japanese car maker won’t gloat because it doesn’t want a buyer backlash.

First stop: Holden Commodore. Next stop: Ford?

The Mazda3 has cemented its position as Australia’s favourite car, winning the new-car sales race for the first three months of 2012, according to preliminary data.

Now Mazda as a brand is on track to topple its former parent company Ford in the local market and end up third on the podium behind Toyota and Holden.

Advertisement: Story continues below
Having posted its best month on record in March (on the back of all-time best results for January and February) Mazda sold more than 25,000 vehicles in the first quarter of 2012, setting it up for an annual tally of 100,000 vehicles.

That figure would likely put Mazda ahead of Ford. The two brands were separated by just 3000 sales last year. But so far this year, Ford is continuing its seven years of sales decline, while Mazda’s results are up 15 per cent.

“We’ve got some pretty good market analysts who think ... another record year is on the cards for us,” says Mazda Australia spokesman Steve Maciver. “We can see the potential, we’ll end up this year in excess of 90,000 ... but 100,000 is not a goal for us.

“We don’t have a war room whereby we go and sit down and say ‘right, we want to sell this [many]’ ... we don’t do any tactical moves to try to beat anyone else. We will sell [how many cars] the market wants.”

The preliminary data shows that the Mazda3’s three-month winning streak puts it comfortably ahead of the competition.

The Mazda3 was the top-selling car last year – ending the Holden Commodore’s 15-year winning streak – but it was beaten by the Toyota Corolla in the last four months of 2011.

While most car makers boast about having a best-selling car in their line-up, Mazda is coy about its success.

It says it won’t boast about it in ad campaigns because it doesn’t want to appear arrogant or too common.

“[Top-selling status] is important to us as a brand but there’s more to Mazda than the Mazda3,” Maciver says. “[Advertising the car’s sales success] is something that’s never been on the radar. It’s not a discussion.

“Rather than Mazda saying ‘we’ve got the number one car’ ... it carries a lot more weight if it’s a personal recommendation from a friend or a work colleague.”

While Toyota and Holden are secure for first and second spots in overall sales, Ford came under threat last year from Japan's Mazda and Korea’s Hyundai.

Ford sold 91,243 cars in 2011, its seventh straight year of decline, and down 32 per cent from a peak of 135,172 sales in 2004.

Mazda sold 88,333 and Hyundai 87,008 cars. Both brands have posted sales growth so far in 2012 while Ford sales have continued to fall.

Official new-car sales figures for March are released at midday April 4, 2012.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: VFacts March..Mazda wins AGAIN!!!!

Official sales figures are coming out tomorrow, I guess that nobody is expecting any miracles for Ford ... good on Mazda, they seem to be on top of what the local Australian market wants.
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The question needs to be asked again, whats so great about the Mazda 3. There are at least 3 or 4 better cars in its class.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
FacultY

Well wen mazda 3 becomes uncool then mazdas in the shitter
Old 05-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacultY
Well wen mazda 3 becomes uncool then mazdas in the shitter
Absolutely 100% correct , although it is a well engineered car the reason people buy them is purely a style based thing.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its not that its best at anything in particular, its more about being good/decent at everything and hence appealing to just about everyone ...

Many of its competitors might be better at some things but for that they will be sacrificing other aspects ... also don't forget that its not just the car people are buying these days, its also the brand, the service, the recognition and so on ...

That's where I think Mazda seems to do better than everyone else in the local Australian market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The question needs to be asked again, whats so great about the Mazda 3. There are at least 3 or 4 better cars in its class.
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mazda win on the whole ownership experience. I've never had a warranty issue with them either. First they dont have many issues in the cars and if they do, Mazda fix the cars without argument and fix it right. Yes there will be exceptions to that, but really they are in a different league when it comes to customer satisfaction.

Meanwhile Fords shipping Territories with rust already on them, that somehow got past quality assurance and are just waiting for their new owners to discover the joy that their 50K+ car needs work on it while its not even a year old. One example but there are many. Not hard to figure which brand has figured out what the market expects.

Ford needs to realise the days of being one of the big three is over. If they don't wake up to quality and customer service, then my guess is they are a year or two from permanently dropping out of the top five in Australia.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another article

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2579D5002373D6

Quote:
Ford slips down the rankings as importers set hot sales pace in a monster March3 April 2012
By RON HAMMERTON
AMBITIOUS importer Nissan outsold local manufacturer Ford for the first time last month as the Blue Oval brand slipped to sixth place for the first time in its history, industry sources have told GoAuto.

In what is shaping up as one of the biggest sales months for the Australian automotive industry on record, official March VFACTS figures out tomorrow are expected to confirm that the three biggest importers – Mazda, Nissan and Hyundai – all sold more vehicles than Ford, despite the fact that Ford lifted its March sales performance compared with last year.

Judging by the unofficial sales increases by some of the major players, a record March for the industry is on the cards, eclipsing the 94,774 units of March 2010.

Toyota – buoyed by fresh stocks of its Thai-made HiLux and strong sales of new Camry – remains on top of the charts, up on last year’s 18,466 sales.

Holden is said to be holding station in second place with sales around the 10,000 mark – despite a small drop on last year – with strong sales of its passengers cars, including a lift in Commodore volume, making up for a lack of Colorado stock ahead of the mid-year launch of an all-new model.

Number-one importer Mazda apparently had its biggest-ever March, driven by record compact SUV sales, thanks to a big start by its all-new CX-5, which apparently achieved almost 1400 sales, eclipsing the superseded CX-7’s best month by more than 200 units. Combined, the CX-5 and run-out CX-7 clocked up almost 2000 sales.

But Nissan was the big mover, rising to fourth place with a record 8317 sales – up almost 39 per cent on last year’s 5985 units in March.

The company was moved to issue a press release about the performance ahead of the official statement from the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI), which is due about midday Wednesday.

Nissan said the March result pushed its year-to-date market share for the first quarter to 6.8 per cent “as it continues to advance towards number-one importer status”.

The importer’s stated aim is to achieve 8.0 per cent market share, 80,000 units and full-line importer leadership by the end of its 2012-13 financial year (ending March 31).

In the just-finished financial year, Nissan sold 69,678 vehicles – up 6.2 per cent on the previous year.

Nissan’s executive general manager of sales and fleet, Ian Moreillon, said the result was testimony to Nissan’s improving product range, stronger brand image and (dealer) network performance.

“With a rich collection of new product in the wings during 2012-13, we can only improve further on what is already a stellar result,” he said.

Although final figures cannot be confirmed, GoAuto understands that Nissan outsold Hyundai last month.

March is frequently a big month for Japanese importers, as it marks the end of the financial year and the need to push for the maximum volume and market share.

Ford was the loser against the big sales drive by importers. Ford sales grew about 10-12 per cent, according to our sources, to about 7500 units for the month, but this was not enough to make up ground in what appears to be a strong month by most major players.

Last year, Ford sold 6724 vehicles in March, but this year it has a fresh range of locally made vehicles, including the Territory and six-cylinder Falcon.

Next month, it will debut a critical new model, the four-cylinder EcoBoost Falcon.

Ford finished third behind Toyota and Holden in the overall standings in 2011, but in the first two months of this year slumped to fifth place and a market share of 7.9 per cent.

Even when Nissan was a local manufacturer, it never outsold Ford, which in the 1980s was at the top of its game.

The overall industry sales tally will not be known until the final figures are released tomorrow, but a record seems a shoe-in, given the number of companies claiming record returns.

Apart from Mazda and Nissan, smaller players such as Suzuki and Kia had a great month, with Kia sales up about 34 per cent.

The market has never topped 100,000 units in any month other than the traditional end-of-half-year spikes in June and December, and even then only on a few occasions.

The biggest sales month in history was recorded last June when 108,722 vehicles found new homes.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #9
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
Mazda win on the whole ownership experience. I've never had a warranty issue with them either. First they dont have many issues in the cars and if they do, Mazda fix the cars without argument and fix it right. Yes there will be exceptions to that, but really they are in a different league when it comes to customer satisfaction.

Meanwhile Fords shipping Territories with rust already on them, that somehow got past quality assurance and are just waiting for their new owners to discover the joy that their 50K+ car needs work on it while its not even a year old. One example but there are many. Not hard to figure which brand has figured out what the market expects.

Ford needs to realise the days of being one of the big three is over. If they don't wake up to quality and customer service, then my guess is they are a year or two from permanently dropping out of the top five in Australia.
Do you have to say the same thing over & over & over on every topic, year after year after year.. Seriously, I look for your name in every topic like this one, just so I can read the same thing every time...
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #10
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Do you have to say the same thing over & over & over on every topic, year after year after year.. Seriously, I look for your name in every topic like this one, just so I can read the same thing every time...

begs the question, why do some people join a ford forum??
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #11
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Mazda has been on the improve ever since the Zoom Zoom campaign. Women love the things.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #12
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Ok, but since you keep reading it can you please take the time to see if its proven correct before hitting the keyboard.

I don't think we should be lambasting Ford enthusiasts but I confess the whole lets think something up to explain away this months sales disaster or shoot the messenger if we can't a tad frustrating.There are many factors sure, but the fundamental problems haven't changed since the sales trends downward started for Ford in Australia. Many on here have explained it in their postings, given up and left the brand and the forums when Ford haven't changed and they grew tired of being accused of basically making stuff up.

It would be nice if as a group we were writing petitions to Ford US and demanding they take control of the train wreck that is Ford AU. Instead of whining about the press, actually use them to send the message that Ford management must change and must address the challenges the company faces. That being the largest loser month after month isn't acceptable for a brand we all love. What happens instead is we get the excuse of the month and a few people shot down who pop their heads up and state the bloody obvious about whats happening.

In a few weeks and for the first time in 52 years there won't be an Australian built Ford in our families driveway. I was near as dam it born in a Falcon and spent my youth sitting in one as our family car. My dad owned the first series of Falcon in Australia and several after that. The last time he came home from hospital before his death it was in his new Falcon.

My kids have grown up in the back seats of Falcons and now a Territory. My first cars were Fords and until recently I've owned more Fords then any other brand. All either built or at least assembled here in Australia.

Over my fireplace is a framed and autographed picture of an XC Falcon Cobra signed to me from Allan Moffat. Something I treasure and given to me by my wife as a present last Christmas. Yeah I have blue blood, but like many before me I've had enough of Ford.

In a few weeks both our family cars will have Mazda badges. The poor dealer service with Ford, the outright lies I am told by them and the never ending quality issues I have with Ford vehicles mean I've just had enough. If you don't think that someone like me leaving is an issue, with the strong emotional attachment and history I have with the brand, well you might be part of the problem. Blind allegiance won't keep Aussie jobs at Ford and it won't stop the train wreck happening. If an American multinational like Ford wants to screw themselves then fine. Frankly what I am concerned about is the Aussie jobs that goes with them. Jobs I've done my bit to support over the years as did my dad before me. That is something I am more concerned about.

Ford has serious problems and unfortunately Ford enthusiasts on this forums are just bickering amongst themselves while it all goes down.
There are bigger things at play then the current flavor of the forum explanations of poor marketing and perceptions.

Last edited by DanielXR8; 04-04-2012 at 11:52 PM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #13
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ok, but since you keep reading it can you please take the time to see if its proven correct before hitting the keyboard.
The only think I can do here is go on personal experience.. And I for currently own an FG & have FANTASTIC (not good, but fantastic) customer service from my local Ford dealer. Whem my next car comes around I'll be going striaght to them & buying again..

Take Falcon out of prior years sales numbers & Ford sales have increased!! Dont confuse a Falcon problem (whos main customers have always been fleets anyway) for a Ford problem or a dealer network problem..

Last edited by Joe5619; 05-04-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #14
stang65
FPRJET

[QUOTE=DanielXR8]Ok, but since you keep reading it can you please take the time to see if its proven correct before hitting the keyboard.

In a few weeks both our family cars will have Mazda badges.

So do tell me what Mazda package that is equivalent to the comfort and power of a 6cylinder Ford Falcon do you have. My taste in cars is it has to have a minimum of 6 cylinders and I like it to be driven by the rear wheels with enough comfort to fit five people comfortably.

Or are you just becoming a little more femine....(only joking about the last bit)

But, I will say and this applies to alot of people on this forum who claim to have blue blood ( again not targeted at you), the past is the past if your loyalty to the brand belongs to the past and you don`t think the current crop cut it then you no longer support the brand. And thats why we have so many people on this forum who don`t drive late model Fords or got the sads with a particular model and do nothing but bag every model after.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #15
prydey
Rob

Quote:
. Yeah I have blue blood, but like many before me I've had enough of Ford.

true fans stick by their team through thick and thin. seems to me you aren't really a died in the wool ford fan.

do you stop supporting your footy team if they don't have a win for a while??

you continually use your personal experiences as though they are true for everyone.

guess its off to mazdaforums for you then. here, let me get the door for you..
Old 04-04-2012, 12:21 AM   #16
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

That just about hits the nail on the head.

I have a little over 12 months before my lease is up on my G6ET and it will be the last Ford I buy.

I'm just over it all. With the crap quality of finish and then you have to nearly have a title fight to get them to admit there is a problem.

As far as I'm concerned they went backward in quality control when the FG came out.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 12:37 AM   #17
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G6ET Spot
That just about hits the nail on the head.

I have a little over 12 months before my lease is up on my G6ET and it will be the last Ford I buy.

I'm just over it all. With the crap quality of finish and then you have to nearly have a title fight to get them to admit there is a problem.

As far as I'm concerned they went backward in quality control when the FG came out.
may i ask what state you are in, and do you use country dealer or big city, i do believe these have a bearing on many aspects of car satisfaction..
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #18
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G6ET Spot
FG is a big step up over B series. 1 persons experience is not an accurate cross section of the brand.

same goes for dealer servicing/experience etc. so many people crucify the brand over one or two stories or experiences they have heard of, or had themselves. again, not an accurate indication of the brand as a whole.

like others, i have had every model since XF and would class them as a very reliable, good value product, and will continue to buy and promote them.

so many people think that because they don't suit their needs, then they don't suit anyone's needs. many need to look at things from a much broader point of view.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Good question.

I was looking at them ... they have more horror stories than Falcon's and Territory's have .... but owners just deal with it and not whinge that much about it.

The new paint system on the current crop of Mazdas ... and from a couple of years back changed .... and it's got to be one of the softest and poorest paint out there ... all due to being environmentally friendly.

All that and more put me off getting one.

They look nice and all ... but issues outweigh the looks.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #20
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Like the Toyota Corolla before it, being No.1 is not about having the best car...never was (Something Ford still doesn't get)

It's all about the dealer experience..... not just the showroom greeting and schmoo but treatment at the hands of the service bay.

Quite honestly, the reason why dealerships go broke has less to do with new car sales and more to do with poor quality service.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #21
zoomie
Owner of "0066" F6 310

Quote:
My wife bought a new mazda 3 SP25 sedan with luxury pack and sunroof last year and the main reason she bought it and loves it, is because she was able to get a top if the range model with a 6 speed manual (she hates autos/dual clutch gearboxes)
zoomie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #22
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomie
My wife bought a new mazda 3 SP25 sedan with luxury pack and sunroof last year and the main reason she bought it and loves it, is because she was able to get a top if the range model with a 6 speed manual (she hates autos/dual clutch gearboxes)
Yes. Mazda has the right idea regarding manual transmissions. The entire Mazda range is available with a manual. Considering that Mazda offers a competitive product in every segment, buying a Mazda is quite often a better choice than some realise.

Oh, and where do you find women like your wife? It seems like every woman I know doesn't know how to drive manual!
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #23
1TUFFUTE
Banned

in my experience some women...like my wife should have no say in the gearbox in their car. Its been years and she still drives her 5 speed manual around in 4th despite it revving and me holding my five fingered hand up in front of her....i gave up as my arm was getting...sore Auto it is ..next
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #24
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They look half decent, overall - an OK car and have a great marketing team behind them.

That, and they seem to understand a certain demographic very well.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #25
buickman
buickman

Quote:
I've had several Mazdas over the years and last November purchased a updated Mazda 3 Neo for the wife after testing Lancer,Corolla, new Focus Cruze .
The only grip I would have with the car is the soft paint duco. If you have a bit of dirt in the mitt it will scratch easy but other wise it is a nicer car to drive than a Corolla hatch has a larger luggage area and vision is good the new Focus is nice but the Mazda is easyer to live with around cities. We have never really had any issues with any Mazda cars we have owned and that why a lot a females go back and purchase another small Mazda.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #26
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Pretty simple really, sell a strong reliable car and people will tell their friends, and keep buying them.

I know a few people who buy Mazda's and swear by them. They are the new Toyota!

Ford on the other hand builds cars that are years ahead in design, but lack what the general public look for, reliability!!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #27
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Pretty simple really, sell a strong reliable car and people will tell their friends, and keep buying them.

I know a few people who buy Mazda's and swear by them. They are the new Toyota!

Ford on the other hand builds cars that are years ahead in design, but lack what the general public look for, reliability!!
Reliabilty isnt a Mazda strong suit. Trust me I work there.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #28
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Reliabilty isnt a Mazda strong suit. Trust me I work there.
Everyone that has one raves about how reliable they are. My parents have had a few and they have been faultless.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #29
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Everyone that has one raves about how reliable they are. My parents have had a few and they have been faultless.
Its probably more due to the service experience people are more forgiving. Where as Ford and Holden treat their customers like crap.

Noisy steering, engine knocks, air in brakes from factory, turbo failures etc are common place.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #30
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Agreed, many I know that have them can't fault them.
I liked the first gen more so than the second gen but that is due to a style thing. There is nothing really wrong with the Mazda 3, it is a great car.
Mazda deserve the sales figures.
The Focus is a damn good car too, the sales aren't too bad for it.