Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-11-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Inboard set headlights, dangerous?

I do a lot of night driving and one thing I have been noticing lately with the FG Falcon and SZ Territory low beam headlights is how it makes the cars look a lot further away than what they are.

The headlights are much more in the centre of the car with the high beam and low beam being switched from the usual placements. At night, the smaller the distance between the lights, the further away the car looks.

Its funny as the ADRS are so strict on lighting e.g. how far away from the road, postion relation to indicators, etc etc, Im suprised there must be no rule on how close the headlights are to be to the edge of the vehicle so as to frame the vehicle and to also make it consistent across cars.

I saw a Laser pull out in front of a FG XR6 last night at a T junction and to be honest even from my perspective sitting behind the Laser I though the FG was a lot further away than it was as well.

Do any FG and SZ owners notice people pulling across you more at night? Its not bashing Ford, Im sure other cars have inboard low beam with the outer reserved for high beam, just curious if this is noticed by others.

Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile Re: Inboard set headlights, dangerous?

Nope. Can't say I've ever noticed it.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 
Default Re: Inboard set headlights, dangerous?

I've not noticed this to be an issue with perception of distance

only a perception of coolness. Wide-set lights are cool, inset ones are not.
Old 16-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
FG_Frodza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never noticed it at all...

If people look properly they won't have an issue.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4150126
FG_Frodza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Thats why FG drivers all have to leave their foglamps on...

I had a huge whinge at Ford when they did this in 2008 and I still have not gotten over it. Toyota's latest prado has the same setup... It is a concern.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Thats why FG drivers all have to leave their foglamps on...

I had a huge whinge at Ford when they did this in 2008 and I still have not gotten over it. Toyota's latest prado has the same setup... It is a concern.
Yes, it is especially bad with projector lights like on the Prado and Territory, as the lights are very small and close together.
Old 16-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Yes, it is especially bad with projector lights like on the Prado and Territory, as the lights are very small and close together.
Did you have to start me on the Territory Projectors??

Its the biggest let down of the entire car...... To the point where I refuse to drive it at night now... The FG2 is going to be the same.

Ford need a Xenon kit for those projectors.... My FG 1 GT smashes the Territory at night... Good excuse to use the GT.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
At night, the smaller the distance between the lights, the further away the car looks.
Never noticed it, but on that theory if a Nissan Micra and a Falcon were side by side on a highway (at night) would the Micra look further away than the Falcon?

I'd hate to think how far away a motorbike looks then
Old 16-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #9
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

I honestly thought i was seeing things the other night when i seen an fg with lights like this. I though there was something wrong with his car and was going to ask him.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Never noticed it, but on that theory if a Nissan Micra and a Falcon were side by side on a highway (at night) would the Micra look further away than the Falcon?

I'd hate to think how far away a motorbike looks then
Good point about the Micra, small cars styling dont taper too much in towards the centre as they have to be efficient in fitting the engine into the small body. You will usually notice the front end is pretty much square with the side of the car. Add the fact that the headlights are usually right at the edge of the body and you still get some distance between the lights.

Large cars like Falcon have quite tapered front ends making swinging into parking spots easier and the car more aerodynamic, this puts the headlights more towards the centre of the car as it is. Add having the headlights much more inboard again and I am betting a Falcon or Territory have a smaller distance between the lights than a car like a micra.

A Falcon is wider than a Micra by 10 cm each side, look at the black GT on the top of the page - look how much inboard the centre of the inboard headlights are from the wheel arches - much more than 10 cm each side.

As for a motorbike, I guess the perspective is another kettle of fish again being a single light.

Last edited by Brazen; 16-11-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 16-11-2011, 06:45 PM   #11
hy_boi
Alan! Alan! Alan!

Didn't they have this issue with motorbikes year ago, alot of manufactures were having dual headlights on the bike and at a quick glance, looked like a car way further down the road then what the motorbike was. Hence why all motorbikes are only a single lowbeam.
hy_boi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #12
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hy_boi
Didn't they have this issue with motorbikes year ago, alot of manufactures were having dual headlights on the bike and at a quick glance, looked like a car way further down the road then what the motorbike was. Hence why all motorbikes are only a single lowbeam.

Yes I have noticed this, some bikes (with two side by side lights can appear to be a car some distance down the road)

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #13
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
Yes I have noticed this, some bikes (with two side by side lights can appear to be a car some distance down the road)
And it could get confusing (for some) if two Motorbikes were riding side by side but not keeping the same distance apart all the time.....
Old 22-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #14
prydey
Rob

i'm glad there doesn't seem to be the same issue with brake lights!! i can just imagine the defense of running up the back of someone!! but your honour, i thought it was a larger car further away...
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #15
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

I'm more inclined to take issue with inboard indicators that inboard headlights. Think CJ Lancer etc...
Old 16-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #16
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalLeigh
I'm more inclined to take issue with inboard indicators that inboard headlights. Think CJ Lancer etc...
Yeah this makes me sometimes have to have a second look, especially on cars like the first mazda six, the blinkers are pretty much in the grille.
I guess it's because I'm just used to seeing them on the edge of the car, so my brain takes a bit longer to process it.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #17
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I don't know about it causing an issue with perception of distance but I do have an issue with it from a point of marking the extremities of the vehicle. Apart from that it looks bloody stupid, like a want to be V8SC.
Old 16-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #18
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

New camrys have terrible headlights. Had one sitting in my blind spot one night. I could just see the right headlight in the corner of my mirror. I honestly thought they had their parking lights on. I sped up and looked in my mirror again and noticed they did have headlights on. It was just from an angle they did not look very bright at all.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #19
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
I do a lot of night driving and one thing I have been noticing lately with the FG Falcon and SZ Territory low beam headlights is how it makes the cars look a lot further away than what they are.

The headlights are much more in the centre of the car with the high beam and low beam being switched from the usual placements. At night, the smaller the distance between the lights, the further away the car looks.

Its funny as the ADRS are so strict on lighting e.g. how far away from the road, postion relation to indicators, etc etc, Im suprised there must be no rule on how close the headlights are to be to the edge of the vehicle so as to frame the vehicle and to also make it consistent across cars.

I saw a Laser pull out in front of a FG XR6 last night at a T junction and to be honest even from my perspective sitting behind the Laser I though the FG was a lot further away than it was as well.

Do any FG and SZ owners notice people pulling across you more at night? Its not bashing Ford, Im sure other cars have inboard low beam with the outer reserved for high beam, just curious if this is noticed by others.
You beat me to it. I was thinking of starting a thread on this issue.

Not only do I think that other drivers think I'm further away when they cross or merge in front of me, but where lanes or vehicles are merging, I suspect that the FG headlights are also not so noticeable to drivers in the next lane looking side-on, when they are looking to see if the lane is clear to move into. I think I've used the horn a lot more in the FG than previous cars I've had, when I see a car starting to move into me.

I now tend to put my foggies on in potential situations, as DASH GT recommends.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #20
prydey
Rob

we really are clutching at straws now. must be really starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel when it comes to things we can critisize ford for!!

seriously, what next. maybe some people shouldn't be driving at night, or maybe not at all if these are serious concerns of theirs.

and good luck explaining to the cop thats why you had your fogs on
Old 16-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #21
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
maybe some people shouldn't be driving at night, or maybe not at all if these are serious concerns of theirs.
Well its not me that isnt seeing me properly.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #22
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia

Those foggies on the FG are so bright, almost like high beams. Thats why they are illegal to use when its fine weather.

I think blinding all traffic with the foggies would be far more dangerous than being worried about the few people that might not be able to judge how far away you are.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #23
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale
Those foggies on the FG are so bright, almost like high beams. Thats why they are illegal to use when its fine weather.

I think blinding all traffic with the foggies would be far more dangerous than being worried about the few people that might not be able to judge how far away you are.
You are kidding, aren't you?
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #24
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

foggys??.. i call them dh lights.. look at me i'm a dh........
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #25
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
foggys??.. i call them dh lights.. look at me i'm a dh........
i reckon you and i would get on well
Old 16-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #26
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus
You are kidding, aren't you?
I must not be the only one that thinks that there too bright to use in fine weather if theres laws & nicknames against them.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #27
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
You beat me to it. I was thinking of starting a thread on this issue.

Not only do I think that other drivers think I'm further away when they cross or merge in front of me, but where lanes or vehicles are merging, I suspect that the FG headlights are also not so noticeable to drivers in the next lane looking side-on, when they are looking to see if the lane is clear to move into. I think I've used the horn a lot more in the FG than previous cars I've had, when I see a car starting to move into me.

Could be drivers distance perception with the convex mirrors that are all the rage now.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #28
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Honestly have to say that if this is branded as a design flaw, FORD are screwed. Just shows no matter what they do their teeth would still be kicked in. I just cannot see how the design of the headlights can alter the perception when ... as stated already ... with motorbikes to Micra's on the road at night ..... really if this is an issue some should be not driving at night and there are other issues that need addressing.

The only thing I notice about an on coming FG at night is that I can usually pick from a while off that it is an FG. They look different but no way bad ...... IMO

If it aint broke don't fix it? Yep .... the XF was/is bullet proof. Should have stayed with that one I suppose.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 10:33 PM   #29
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Honestly have to say that if this is branded as a design flaw, FORD are screwed. Just shows no matter what they do their teeth would still be kicked in. I just cannot see how the design of the headlights can alter the perception when ... as stated already ... with motorbikes to Micra's on the road at night ..... really if this is an issue some should be not driving at night and there are other issues that need addressing.

The only thing I notice about an on coming FG at night is that I can usually pick from a while off that it is an FG. They look different but no way bad ...... IMO

If it aint broke don't fix it? Yep .... the XF was/is bullet proof. Should have stayed with that one I suppose.

Couldn't have put it any better.
Old 16-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #30
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why does everyone whinge about fog lights. I have zero problems with them, except the ones on VY's(I think) which seam to be brighter then normal fog lights.

You people must have a hard time driving on a sunny day where the sun is reflecting off the window of every car in front of you.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post