Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-06-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Default Pot hole = Rim damage.

Hey fellas, I hit a hole in the road while driving my ute this morning.
For those of you playing at home: the pot hole is located on Ferntree gully road city bound right after Blackburn road in the left lane, infront of a bus stop.
Looks like a sewage pipe has been put there and they have replaced the asphalt around it but some of it has come away with the wet weather we have had recently. Any way, I now have a nice dent/scratch on my Dark Argent F6 rear wheel. :

Has anyone else had this happen, and what did you do?
Do you reckon i can get the council to cough up for repair costs, as one of these wheels cost close to $900 from ford IIRC!
I know it aint the end of the world, but it just gives me the ....!!
Here is a crappy phone pic of the damage.

sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Go take photo's of offending pot hole and submit to council along with quote for repair/replacement of wheel. Should see some sort of response, good or bad. lol
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
sfr rob

yeah, thats what i might do.... it's going to be fun dodging peak hour traffic on FTG rd to take a few pics. :
Old 18-06-2008, 03:59 PM   #4
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

If you can demostrate that the road has been in a poor state of repair for some time, or that the council has been negligent - ie not reacted to motorists prior complaints, or their own internal reporting of the pot hole requiring repair, you may have a chance at getting reasonable compenstation.

This scenario has occured lots of times, so I'm sure there are prior examples to reference.

Good luck mate.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
SVTVNM
Guzzler

A few years back I hit a pot hole in the Hepburn Shire area of Victoria and I split both left Rims 18's, clean in half around the circumfrence and damaged a caliper. I claimed it on insuranace so I could get the rims replaced and the car back on the road and I believe that my insurance company got the money back from the Shire, I was not the only car to have this happen at the same spot. In wish I had photos to post because the pot hole was more like a mine shaft! lol.
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 04:04 PM   #6
sfr rob

: God that would have to suck!
I only saw this hole, pipe poking out of the road at the last second hence why the front missed, damn school girls waiting for the bus!!!!
Old 18-06-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Theres a been a few potholes like the one SVT mentioned around sydney lately, the comenara parkway(main link between NW sydney and Northshore has got to be the worst road for them. every time it rains in the usual spots there is atleast 1 big hole(1ft circ) and about 2-6inches deep+.. just last week i saw a p-plater pulled over in a e30 beemer replacing his front left wheel because he hit a pothole about 6inch wide, about 1.5ft long and about 6inches deep parralell to the road(hard to miss in traffic yeh?) poor guy, its like defensive driving goin down there sometimes...
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2008, 05:27 PM   #8
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Theres a been a few potholes like the one SVT mentioned around sydney lately, the comenara parkway(main link between NW sydney and Northshore has got to be the worst road for them. every time it rains in the usual spots there is atleast 1 big hole(1ft circ) and about 2-6inches deep+.. just last week i saw a p-plater pulled over in a e30 beemer replacing his front left wheel because he hit a pothole about 6inch wide, about 1.5ft long and about 6inches deep parralell to the road(hard to miss in traffic yeh?) poor guy, its like defensive driving goin down there sometimes...
There's bloody big pot holes like that in Sydney every day, everywhere!!

I always try to dodge them, but sometimes you just can't.

There's absolutely no way I'd get rims bigger than 17 inch in this place.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #9
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

May be difficult to prove that the council is at fault, and that the damage caused is a direct result of said pothole. If their was physical damage of any sort, or an accident directly attributed to by the pothole, you may have a case. I'm no lawyer, but I'd imagine that the legal representation, if any, that would be reequired to be reimbursed for your damages, plus the headaches involved would be likely to exceed your damages. It totally sucks in any case.
LOCO XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 04:28 PM   #10
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive heard of quite a few people on here getting a reimbursement for the damages made to peoples wheels by potholes and bad roads.
Old 18-06-2008, 04:28 PM   #11
sfr rob

Yeah, Loco.. I think i might just bite the bullet and replace it with my other 19 inch spare :
Still... it sucks!
Old 18-06-2008, 04:34 PM   #12
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

give it a go anyway mate, ya never know!
Old 18-06-2008, 06:13 PM   #13
Ladiesman217
I can count to potato!

Angry

Rob, I did this a couple weeks ago on a damn huge pot hole that just couldnt be missed..

Argued with the council for a few days and the outcome was they're not liable for any damage under $1080. The end.

Ladiesman217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 07:11 PM   #14
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrflexx
Argued with the council for a few days and the outcome was they're not liable for any damage under $1080. The end.
See that would irritate me so badly I'd go back for seconds, make it a different wheel the second time round so that combined damage gets over their $1080 threshold and make them pay.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 07:27 PM   #15
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Rob, I did this a couple weeks ago on a damn huge pot hole that just couldnt be missed..

Sounds like you were bluffed . I dropped a bike a while back with around $800 worth of damage , they tried that crap and the brother inlaw ripped em a new one , had his fees and mu $ in two weeks , they have a legal obligation for repair and maintenance with public liability , which has around a grand from the council pockets on claims
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 07:29 PM   #16
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:

Well, if they want it to cost more I would suggest taking your car to Ford and having the suspension on that side checked; you'd be amazed as to what kind of damage can be caused by a huge impact like that - think of it as getting a 600kg mallet dropped on your suspension.
Furthermore, I would inspect the shock tower for any deformations or cracks, as metal to hard surface contact can bend thin wall steel such as that found in your shock tower. I guarantee you, you will find a fault and the cost of rim, tyre and the diagnosis alone should exceed the $1080 limit. Furthermore, write a letter of demand to the council as they can't shirk responsibility predicated on a dollar amount.

Quote: