Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-11-2013, 01:15 AM   #1
kempy311
BEN

Default Dealership in Perth closed

Centre ford located on Newcastle street Perth WA has gone into receivership which is not good news especially if you had a car being fixed at there premises at the moment. The dealership has been open there for 30 years +.

My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
kempy311 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2013, 02:04 AM   #2
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 
Default Re: Dealership in Perth closed

Crikey. Sad news. Bought my fully optioned, winter white manual AU1 XR8 sedan from there back in 1998.

What a terrible car that turned out to be.

But, big dealership, like you say been a long time and sad to see them go. All the best for the workers and their families.
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2013, 03:26 AM   #3
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had my company car from them in 2005, and have serviced my cars there for the last 5-6 years. Over the last year they must have spent a million dollars in refurbishing their showroom and reception. The new car sales may have dropped more than they predicted. Dealer groups like AHG and John H***** may have taken larger portions of the sales in WA. How many other Ford dealerships in Perth? Morley, Osborne Park, Wangara, Clarkson, Victoria Park, and quite a few more south of the river. There probably isn't enough business for that many.
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1 View Post
Over the last year they must have spent a million dollars in refurbishing their showroom and reception.
Isnt this a Ford HQ requirement? I hear a number of country Ford dealers closed because they couldn't justify the outlay.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

I think about 6 to 8 months ago, the used car section got sold off to Toyota. I was kind of thinking that the writing was on the wall then. At a guess, we may see more and more Ford/Holden dealerships close down over the next few years. That is, unless they merge and sell other Korean/Japanese/Chines cars.

A shame but certainly a sign of the times.
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paull View Post
I think about 6 to 8 months ago, the used car section got sold off to Toyota. I was kind of thinking that the writing was on the wall then. At a guess, we may see more and more Ford/Holden dealerships close down over the next few years. That is, unless they merge and sell other Korean/Japanese/Chines cars.

A shame but certainly a sign of the times.
They sure do have to expand their base to survive!
The Ford dealer here also has Mercedes, Hyundai, Subaru, Suzuki, Kia, Jaguar, Land Rover, Honda, Skoda, Isuzu ute and Kawasaki - don't think I've missed any.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paull View Post
That is, unless they merge and sell other Korean/Japanese/Chines cars.
Great, that's all we bloody need.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought a Cortina XLE from them in the 70's....not good. FORD need a major rethink on marketing and pricing.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rockhampton QLD, Tropical Auto Group, has Ford , Mitsubishi, Chery, Great Wall, KIA. SSANYONG. Used to also have BMW...
Old 09-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Unfortunately that's the only way for them to stay competitive, by diversifying into other brands/makes and capture a bigger portion of the sales pie.
Within the next few decades the bigger dealer principals will eat the smaller chains and offer everything under one roof - shopping for a new car will be like going to K-Mart.

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
fte50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #11
05_ENFORCER

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You will find that this is what has happened to Centre Ford

A big mob has bought it

Old 09-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #12
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_ENFORCER View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You will find that this is what has happened to Centre Ford

A big mob has bought it

John Hughes ?? AHG ??
Old 09-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #13
kempy311
BEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
John Hughes ?? AHG ??
The inside source says AHG was looking at buying it but after looking into more they weren't interested.
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #14
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fte50 View Post
Within the next few decades the bigger dealer principals will eat the smaller chains and offer everything under one roof - shopping for a new car will be like going to K-Mart.
Very much like all of the petrol stations: there would be 75% less now than there was 15 to 20 years ago.
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
TS50AU
Red ones go faster!

My sources say to expect the signs to be changed to Toyota...
Shame. Bought 2 GTs there and serviced them there, not to mention the genuine spares at the parts counter (crap - I'll have to pay Retail prices!!!). For the most part have nothing to say but good. Looked after me on the pricing of the new ones and service when servicing was for the most part above average - A family owned dealership that still believed in keeping customer loyalty alive. Condolences to Steve and Phil.
TS50AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #16
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS50AU View Post
My sources say to expect the signs to be changed to Toyota...
Shame. Bought 2 GTs there and serviced them there, not to mention the genuine spares at the parts counter (crap - I'll have to pay Retail prices!!!). For the most part have nothing to say but good. Looked after me on the pricing of the new ones and service when servicing was for the most part above average - A family owned dealership that still believed in keeping customer loyalty alive. Condolences to Steve and Phil.
But there are already 2 in fact no, three Toyota dealerships in Perth an immediate surrounds

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #17
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
But there are already 2 in fact no, three Toyota dealerships in Perth an immediate surrounds
I wonder if this is like McDonalds franchises where McDonalds offers the franchise to established franchisees first
which gives them a gun at head choice, buy another franchise or let a competitor take some of your market.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #18
kempy311
BEN

Quote:
If it becomes a Toyota dealer I would say City Toyota will move there as there used car are already next door.
331rwkw.

2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #19
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's a crying shame, one of the few independent Ford dealers in Perth, I much prefer to deal with indys (bought last car from McInerney Ford)

Been servicing my cars there for years and was about to book it in with them next week, are they still trading?

Agree with kempy, was wondering around Adelaide tce the other night and wandered into the TINY City Toyota dealership, they are in a weird spot and desperately need space.

Sign on the times I guess though, with the explosion of brands around now, gone are the days of dealing in one brand :(
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #20
kempy311
BEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post

Been servicing my cars there for years and was about to book it in with them next week, are they still trading?
Nope workers turned up to find locks on the door etc.
331rwkw.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #21
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempy311 View Post
Nope workers turned up to find locks on the door etc.
Thanks kempy. Poor buggers, I used to chat with quite a few of there service staff and they were a great bunch. Guy a few doors up from me is/was the fleet sales mgr there too :( hope they all find new positions quickly.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:48 AM   #22
xr gr8
Winter White Weapon

Wow....clearly remember driving out of there yard in my new BFII typhoon...first new car....first drive in a turbo ford
Sad to see them gone.
xr gr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #23
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

What will happen to all the cars?? I got the Territory serviced there recently and I was impressed with their showroom, nicely renovated and had a black F6 in there, a GT, a Territory Titanium and a Focus ST. Certainly got that 'wow' factor across, for me anyway.

But I guess the reality is that inner-city car yards aren't really ideal locations for selling cars these days are they...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 10-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #24
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Being inner city had its pluses though RW, they seemed to do a roaring trade in the service dept and I put a few people onto them as you could drop your car off there and they would run you too your office/pick you up. They did a fair amount of Police vehicle servicing too, they were close to the main Perth Police station.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #25
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

City Toyota will be moving to Centre Ford's building ASAP.
The costs for where they are at the moment are massive and parking is shocking.

Moving their Used and Workshop to Newcastle St makes very good sense (for them)

I enjoyed my years at Centre Ford - met some awesome people that became very good friends. Of all the dealers I worked with/for, Bang at the Centre was the best.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #26
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder what will happen to all of the old Ford signs etc, must be shed loads of them in and around the buildings - would be good for a Ford fan to collect for the man cave
Old 11-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #27
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
I wonder what will happen to all of the old Ford signs etc, must be shed loads of them in and around the buildings - would be good for a Ford fan to collect for the man cave
Already asked.

They were/will be taken back by Ford.
I'm still asking around.... just to make sure.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #28
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Sales downturn claims Centre Ford

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...s-centre-ford/

Quote:
WA's leading Ford dealership, Centre Ford in Northbridge, is in voluntary liquidation with nearly $1.5 million owed to suppliers and staff.

The surprise collapse has prompted speculation that car sales fell after the announcement this year that Ford would stop producing vehicles in Australia in 2016.

Liquidator Mervyn Kitay, of Crowe Horwath, said the company had been trying to sell the Newcastle Street car yard for some time.

His company was called in late last week after failing to sell the business and it had no option other than to close.

"It appears it suffered a downturn, possibly in part with Ford indicating it will close its manufacturing industry," Mr Kitay said. "That might have contributed to less customer traffic."

It is understood the closure surprised suppliers. In 2010, Centre Ford was ranked the best Ford service centre in Australia with a AAA rating for customer satisfaction every year since 2007.

Mr Kitay said it had relatively low debts of about $1 million owed to suppliers and $300,000 to $400,000 to its 30 employees.

It is believed the dealership next door plans to use the site and offered jobs to some Ford staff.

Centre Ford operated at the site for 30 years, the last seven under dealer principal Steve Katopodis.

The latest statistics show new car sales in the year to October in WA were down 8.4 per cent, the biggest annual fall of any State.
Are the cars being shunted off to other dealers, repossessed by floor plan financiers or end up at Pickles??

Old 19-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #29
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sales downturn claims Centre Ford

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...s-centre-ford/

Are the cars being shunted off to other dealers, repossessed by floor plan financiers or end up at Pickles??
I went for a walk through their the other night, any signs have been removed and there is virtually no way to tell it was a Ford dealer.

Re the cars, don't know for sure but City Toyota had an add in the paper with s bunch of various Fords and the old second hand lot at Centre Ford (been City Toyota for a while) had quite a few near new Fords, I'm assuming they are ex Centre Ford 2nd hand cars.
Old 19-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #30
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

This appears to be all over the news in Wait Awhile, at least the online media. Even the ABC has picked up on it.