Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-09-2015, 09:41 PM   #1
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Carmakers spending billions on technology drivers don't want or use

http://www.caradvice.com.au/376584/c...-power-report/

So much of it is irrelevant.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:07 PM   #2
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Carmakers spending billions on technology drivers don't want or use

Irrelevant for now maybe.
One day we may be looking back thinking "that's when it started".....
Like disc brakes Vs drum
Half of the things like reverse sensors weren't deemed necessary or as luxury a few years back, but with larger cars and ever smaller parking spots they are often standard on small cars now.
All this tech is just leading to the Google car, you know, the one you don't get to drive so much as sit in.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:40 PM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember when power steering, power brakes, 3 speed auto came in!!! It was a big deal at the time,,,
Old 02-09-2015, 10:46 PM   #4
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
I remember when power steering, power brakes, 3 speed auto came in!!! It was a big deal at the time,,,
Theres is a difference between active and passive technology.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2015, 10:49 PM   #5
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

It's true though. Half the cars I've had had no power steer, electric windows or air con. Those additions were good. Often reliable as. These days, parking sensors etc are for hopeless drivers or for older people. More stuff to go wrong especially these days where things are made to fail.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2015, 11:10 PM   #6
Trump
bitch lasagne

The tech that the car makers are spending billions developing is by and large completely irrelevant to those of us born before 1985. However, they realise that their biggest customer base is Gen Y and still growing. They see it as an investment, we see it as a waste or resources.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2015, 05:36 PM   #7
Trek
Blue blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
The tech that the car makers are spending billions developing is by and large completely irrelevant to those of us born before 1985. However, they realise that their biggest customer base is Gen Y and still growing. They see it as an investment, we see it as a waste or resources.
'88 born here, however fully agree with the rest of your sentiments mate! Guess I'm an anomaly though!

Hell, I grew up mostly in XB Falcons, which other kids in the schoolyard didn't understand my passion for
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-09-2015, 08:35 PM   #8
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmm, my falcon has speed alert beeper that i never use. I upgraded the center console to get the colour screen, but lost the six stacker cd (but i rarely use the cd player - use my ipod instead).

Quote:
from the linked article: "The report showed Gen Y drivers were even less convinced,"
Old 04-09-2015, 10:43 PM   #9
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post

from the linked article: "The report showed Gen Y drivers were even less convinced,"
They probably asked a bunch of hipsters.

Reverse sensors and cameras are nice and handy things to have. Makes parking in car parks with a 5.4m ute easier. Car spaces can range anywhere from around 5m to 5.6m long. Most of the time I will have my towball on the line and have the front sticking out the front of the space a few centimeters. These devices on tiny hatchbacks are not needed, but still nice to have.

Work Prados have cameras and I hardly ever use them, but when I do use them I'm glad it has them. Nice for looking how close you are to little poles and other small things that are hidden below the window level. Especially good at night time when someone else parked the car in an unusual location.

Only time I have used voice control was when someone smashed the touchscreen so the voice control was the only way to change the radio station. Other than that I can't see the point in voice control really.

Bluetooth is fantastic. What better way to listen to your music than wirelessly. Beats having a cable connecting your electronic device. Also changing songs with the steering wheel is easier and safer than pressing fast forward on the tape player.

I did like having tyre pressure monitoring in the Chrysler. Check it every now and then and I would see it very slowly dropping over the space of a few months. Top up the air when it starts to get low and then watch the cycle start again. Beats checking manually especially if you don't need any air.
Plus I would love to see how many people regularly check their tyre pressure. Not many I would say.

Auto wipers are great. I would hate those days where you seam to be adjusting your wipers constantly because one second you can't see through the water and the next the wipers are squealing on a dry windscreen. Although they are not perfect, I still think they are great and seam to work properly 95% of the time.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2015, 11:15 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just my 2 bobs worth , i reckon some of the safety stuff has made a huge dfference, and i think no driver would want to be without it, disc brakes , anti lock brakes imo was/is still the biggest boon to safety in the last 100 years other than the seat belt, probably stability control to a lesser extent.
as for alot of the other electronic stuff, it probably has its place, but things like lane warning , on the mirrors , i would much rather do the budgie and screw the neck around to see where traffic is rather than rely on warning light on the mirror, maybe im old fashioned, and im not real big on the screens having controls on them ,
i prefer the old knob or dial i can grab and hear go click without taking the eyes off to scroll through options, by the same token controls on the steering wheel i do like.
One thing i do miss is the old dip switch for the high beams, its the dinosaur in me .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2015, 08:17 PM   #11
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
just my 2 bobs worth , i reckon some of the safety stuff has made a huge dfference, and i think no driver would want to be without it, disc brakes , anti lock brakes imo was/is still the biggest boon to safety in the last 100 years other than the seat belt, probably stability control to a lesser extent.
as for alot of the other electronic stuff, it probably has its place, but things like lane warning , on the mirrors , i would much rather do the budgie and screw the neck around to see where traffic is rather than rely on warning light on the mirror, maybe im old fashioned, and im not real big on the screens having controls on them ,
i prefer the old knob or dial i can grab and hear go click without taking the eyes off to scroll through options, by the same token controls on the steering wheel i do like.
One thing i do miss is the old dip switch for the high beams, its the dinosaur in me .
Hi. And they can make heater controls 3 big knobs, 1 for heat 1 for fan and 1 for air and to demist a front window just turn each knob hard clockwise. no need to look at a picture on a radio to see where the air is coming from. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2015, 11:17 PM   #12
deluxe_

I shake my head in laughter when I see some people dismiss the very necessities of modern car essentials such as reverse sensors and cameras as irrelevant.

Need to keep up with the times..
deluxe_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2015, 11:43 PM   #13
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe_ View Post
I shake my head in laughter when I see some people dismiss the very necessities of modern car essentials such as reverse sensors and cameras as irrelevant.

I dont dismiss improvements such as sensors and cameras but try and understand not everybody needs them. Some need chimes and bells to tell them to put a seat belt on...
4 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2015, 06:32 PM   #14
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Well i think if you need all this technology such as reverse sensors and parking assist crap, you shouldn't be driving anyway.

A lot of the fancy stuff in the focus i don't use and don't care about, either does the misses.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 05-09-2015, 05:47 PM   #15
fps_grandma

Mantra:

Technology is supposed to serve you, not enslave you.

In the field of telecommunications, an example of technological progress serving you is text messaging which is a far cry to writing letters in the 1800s (Just don't do either while driving).
An example of technology enslaving you is when you're literally on Facebook for hours on end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win View Post
Studies have found that younger people (Gen Y and Z) are increasingly disinterested in cars. They don't play a very big role in the inner city, professional urban (yuppie) tribe anymore. It's really suprising how many of my friends and colleagues don't own a car even though they well and truly could afford to! Rather than a car as a status symbol they prefer to spend their money on travelling etc. They just don't see the need for one. By incorporating technology into vehicles it is a way of appealing to that younger demographic as someone mentioned earlier.
The Toyota 86 is an interesting case study as it was a response to young people not into cars.
It also doesn't help that cars are very expensive to own when many are working in retail they may not be able to afford to buy a new car.
The dining and travelling culture generally provide better value for money.

If I want to buy just one new car I want to make sure it's very practical, powerful and reasonably priced.
I went and bought an XR6T.

A lot of people use their car on public roads to go to the shops whether it's a Toyota Kluger or a Nissan GT-R.

Quote:

Reverse sensors go insane when backing down a hill because the bottom of the inline falsely triggers the ultrasonic sensors.

Reverse cameras are actually not bad because you cannot physically see what is directly behind you.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:19 PM   #16
superyob
Banned

Quote:

Keeping up with the times for its own sake is an empty pursuit. I need to have a good reason to update and the two examples mentioned are totally irrelevant to me as there is no good reason to fit them to my car. As is most of the other crap in modern cars that belongs on your googlemaphone, not your drive...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2015, 11:21 PM   #17
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Necessities?? You can't see what's behind you? Or judge distance? Oh that's right. Modern cars have hopelessly large rear pillars so the only way to see out is to put a camera on it. Yeah keep driving your modern delusion..

Subaru Outback '02
5 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2015, 11:29 PM   #18
deluxe_

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
Necessities?? You can't see what's behind you? Or judge distance? Oh that's right. Modern cars have hopelessly large rear pillars so the only way to see out is to put a camera on it. Yeah keep driving your modern delusion..
Cameras and sensors aid the driver during parking and driving out of tight spots immensely, to deny this without even trying it first hand and experiencing it for your self is plain fallacy
deluxe_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2015, 11:36 PM   #19
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Cameras and sensors aid the driver during parking and driving out of tight spots immensely, to deny this without even trying it first hand and experiencing it for your self is plain fallacy
There is no fallacy. They aren't a driver aid, they do however aid in increasing complacency behind the wheel.

If I can parallel park an XF wagon with no power steering into a spot not much bigger than 6 metres in length, parking sensors aren't a must.
7 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2015, 09:40 AM   #20
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
Yes that's right. You very often can't see the corners of modern cars, and have very little idea where they even are.
Reversing cameras? Fantastic idea, especially in the plethora of modern SUV's of all sizes and especially twin cab utes with a canopy where you simply cannot see what is right up close behind you.
And yes, modern cars DO have amazingly large A and C pillars now...especially the A pillar which often takes up a large amount of your view. I sit in our old WB ute (same as the HQ) which I think still has the thinnest A pillars put on a production car in this country. Great view and no intrusive at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
I must say a lot of the time, I pull fuses on my cars to get rid of ABS and Traction control as well as Stability control. (mainly on dirt roads).

People just get dumber and dumber with all this stuff.

I drove a few cars reguarly with reverse cameras and reverse beepers, and you quickly rely on this. Then get back into a car without, and you have lost some skill.
Good luck with that insurance claim when they find you've disabled a safety device...
Reverse cameras and beepers are great...it's not about "losing a skill", it's about "design of modern cars" with thick pillars and corners you cannot see from the drivers seat.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2015, 11:38 PM   #21
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

I have used it in dads new ranger for a start. And my uncles commodore too.
Still don't see it necessary. But fair enough. Not everyone has great perception... They let anyone drive these days. Sensors are maybe one of the more sensible thing fitted to modern cars. Bluetooth, not really? Voice control? Gimmick?
300gb 9" touchscreen mega centre built into the dash along with all the controls? Have fun replacing any of it when it plays up! All crap to me.

Edit: yes to the fact it increases complacency, like self parking. All else helps distract the driver. In the case of Ford, billions could be better spent on seam sealing and decent primer and paint instead of gimmicky crap

Subaru Outback '02
Old 02-09-2015, 11:48 PM   #22
Itsme
Experienced Member

Nothing wrong with all the new technology, if it makes your driving more enjoyable why not.

Too many dinosaurs here, you will be extinct one day.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2015, 11:55 PM   #23
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Nothing wrong with all the new technology, if it makes your driving more enjoyable why not.

Too many dinosaurs here, you will be extinct one day.
There would be very few on here that would snub technology that improves the driving experience (forced induction, damping technology, aerodynamic tech etc). The bone of contention though is with fluff technology that adds zero to the driving experience and to safety.
3 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2015, 02:44 PM   #24
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
There would be very few on here that would snub technology that improves the driving experience (forced induction, damping technology, aerodynamic tech etc). The bone of contention though is with fluff technology that adds zero to the driving experience and to safety.
Fluffy technology! do elaborate bit more on this, would like to hear your reasoning on this.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:19 PM   #25
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As said above...the staggering, wildly huge majority of buyers don't care about the "driving experience" beyond "Does it get good fuel economy?", "How many cylinders?" (For QLD where rego jumps sharply the more you have), and "Is it comfortable?".
I've said before that when we bought our G6E that i asked to see under the bonnet, and the salesman said I was honestly the first person in months he had served who asked to see under there on any car.
And enthusiasts still think people are worried about 0-100, RWD versus FWD, and how much power it has.

Given the increasingly-policed roads, it's no wonder people want a nice place to sit and cruise along in with plenty of gadgets.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2015, 07:45 PM   #26
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Fluffy technology! do elaborate bit more on this, would like to hear your reasoning on this.
Oh its quite simple actually. I class any tech as fluff if it provides zero improvement to the driving experience or zero improvement to safety without introducing complacency in the driver.

For example, any of the myriad phone/entertainment/connectivity tech items I call fluff, heated seats and steering wheels are fluff, self closing tailgates are fluff, adaptive cruise is fluff (due to introducing complacency) as is AEB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Got stats to prove?
Could also be a lack of driving skills, more cars on the road, road quality, inattentive drivers, lack of car maintenance.
Going to be hard to prove but keen to see the results.
There wouldn't be many stats as tech heavy cars have only recently filtered into the mainstream. The full effect of such a massive deployment of these types of cars is yet to be determined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
or

increase in car technology is the reason for the reduction in the road toll.

ever backed up to a trailer/caravan etc using a reversing camera? makes a sometimes awkward job an absolute doddle. no requiring a 2nd person, or having to hop out and check, or getting close and then man handling the trailer over.... just back it up right under the hitch....

these things might not get used every day, but they do have some uses that once experienced, make you really appreciate them. same with parking sensors etc in underground car parks associated with high rise apartments etc.

as for 'they increase complacency behind the wheel', this is a standard line wheeled out by all the oldies whenever new technologies are mentioned.
You are right, improvements in automotive technology has reduced the road toll. But the distinction needs to be made, the sorts of technology that has produced a lower road toll is stuff like engineered crumple zones and passenger restraint systems (seat belts and ther pretensioners, airbags), collapsible steering columns and the like.

I have never towed a caravan (I feel dirty just thinking about it ), but yes I have towed a trailer with a camera equipped car. It was a myopic experience trying to use a small screen fed by fisheye lens camera imagery. I reverse a trailer more effectively without a camera.

It may sound like a standard line for alleged Luddites, but people like you and me and some of the forum membership use our better judgment and can appreciate something without letting it diminish our faculties whilst driving. Sadly, a large majority of the population isn't able to make such a distinction.

Last edited by Trump; 03-09-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:21 PM   #27
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Oh its quite simple actually. I class any tech as fluff if it provides zero improvement to the driving experience or zero improvement to safety without introducing complacency in the driver.

For example, any of the myriad phone/entertainment/connectivity tech items I call fluff, heated seats and steering wheels are fluff, self closing tailgates are fluff, adaptive cruise is fluff (due to introducing complacency) as is AEB.

There wouldn't be many stats as tech heavy cars have only recently filtered into the mainstream. The full effect of such a massive deployment of these types of cars is yet to be determined.

You are right, improvements in automotive technology has reduced the road toll. But the distinction needs to be made, the sorts of technology that has produced a lower road toll is stuff like engineered crumple zones and passenger restraint systems (seat belts and ther pretensioners, airbags), collapsible steering columns and the like.

I have never towed a caravan (I feel dirty just thinking about it ), but yes I have towed a trailer with a camera equipped car. It was a myopic experience trying to use a small screen fed by fisheye lens camera imagery. I reverse a trailer more effectively without a camera.

It may sound like a standard line for alleged Luddites, but people like you and me and some of the forum membership use our better judgment and can appreciate something without letting it diminish our faculties whilst driving. Sadly, a large majority of the population isn't able to make such a distinction.
You make a good dinosaur.....
2 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2015, 12:12 AM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm not a big fan of the touch screen stuff, I prefer stereo with buttons so you don't have to look at it to do the basics while driving.

I've got 10 radio presets I swap between in my Focus, can just feel the buttons while driving without looking at the stereo.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2015, 01:35 AM   #29
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Studies have found that younger people (Gen Y and Z) are increasingly disinterested in cars. They don't play a very big role in the inner city, professional urban (yuppie) tribe anymore. It's really suprising how many of my friends and colleagues don't own a car even though they well and truly could afford to! Rather than a car as a status symbol they prefer to spend their money on travelling etc. They just don't see the need for one. By incorporating technology into vehicles it is a way of appealing to that younger demographic as someone mentioned earlier.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:46 AM   #30
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Ask people who have reversed over their children what they think of reverse sensors and cameras.....................

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
10 users like this post: