Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-09-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
krt10
eskyman

Default saw a nasty one last night

saw a huge accident last night.
me and a mate were driving down west terrace in adelaide when a van entering from a side street ran a red light.

he pulled out right in front of a taxi who locked up and rear ended the van in the left rear. this caused the van to swerve right and hit one of those big green street signs. the sign just bend and acted like a sort of ramp. the van went up into the air, landed, and then rolled.

the passenger of the van wasnt waring a seatbelt and got thrown from the window of the car mid flight. we ran up to him and he was dazed but could talk and what not. so i go over to the driver. the roof and Apiller of the van had caved in onto him. he was bleeding alot and was unconsious. so i ran over to the servo and got a first aid kit, called 000 and asked what to do ( i have no training so i didnt have a clue) anyway i had to hold this guys head up so his airway wasnt blocked. other people stopped and found another guy in the back who looked like he wasnt wearing a seatbelt either and broke the rear window with his body.

when the ambos came the driver was still unconsious and critical, i dont know what happend to him but it didnt look good.

it made me relise how easy things can happen. im seriously considering getting basic first aid training so i at least have some idea.

needless to say it wasnt the way i wanted to start the night.

Old 28-09-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
gtfpv
GT

shite . sorry to hear . your a hero for what you did mate . congrats . and take some time out . you can get delayed shock . seek counsilling if this happens anytime .
well done .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Damn. You did well but. It's never nice to see accidents that bad. Seems like you kept calm. Like I said, good work.

No doubt it'll be on the news?

First aid training ftw.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #4
krt10
eskyman

cheers guys. there were news cameres there before any ambos or cops. it seemed like it had just happend and there was a cameraman there
Old 28-09-2008, 09:02 PM   #5
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good work mate!
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
BARRICADE

good work mate!! hope the involved were ok...
BARRICADE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 10:30 PM   #7
krt10
eskyman

me too mate. there were about 10 or so other people that stopped and were helping me and my mate and caring for the other 2 guys. i just hope that if im ever in a situation like that there is people who get out and help.
Old 28-09-2008, 10:52 PM   #8
hannem

Good one dude for helping many would not and have seen that,

We regularly do first aid training through work and at one of the sessions we asked the trainer about helping out injured members of the public at an accident scene.

Some of the guys were a bit concerned that you could be liable for any further injury that they may cause to the injured and that they might get sued.

You know dragging someone out of a burning car and in the process cause them not to walk again and you cop it. (mind you they would have died otherwise)

We were told that unless you were being negligent, ie unnecessarily rolling necks, twisting broken legs back and forth, that sort of stupid stuff then there is no need to worry.

Just repeating what I was told and if this happens to me I would have no probs "injuring" someone to save their life.

When someone is trapped and bleeding not really much you can do but hold the head and put pressure on the bleeding spots.

Frightening experience for you no doubt and glad you had the guts not to turn away.

Cheers M
hannem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 11:07 PM   #9
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hannem,
I've been told the same thing - the first time anybody helping 'in good faith' in this situation gets sued is the time at heck breaks loose - and the courts know it.
Was also told by my instructor from St John is that they will back you up as well.

Those doing volunteer work should be aware of the 'volunteer protection act' which provides protection for those working in a voluntary capacity (which isn't the case here, but good to be aware of).

In this situation, training helps as well as stopping for a couple of seconds to think before rushing in.

Sounds though that you did well - and quite possibly saved that guys life. Well done.
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2008, 12:31 AM   #10
aye you
The Origional, The Best

you ask permission from the "patient" who, if they say yes, understand fully that they cannot persue legal action against you, unless it is gross negligence. AndrewR hit the nail on the head, anyone helping in an emergency situation gets sued, well, the courts won't let it go too far, plus St John would go skitz.
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2008, 05:06 PM   #11
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Main-state EU cars have first aid kits, vests, triangle as standard supply. Saves running and time.

Basic first aid kit as little as $18 from say BigW, Superrchup etc.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2008, 05:46 PM   #12
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aye you
you ask permission from the "patient" who, if they say yes, understand fully that they cannot persue legal action against you, unless it is gross negligence.
But what if they are unconscious?
From my St John's training from memory, you can't be held liable in this situation.

Just remember, in any situation, you come first, not the accident victim. Make sure you don't end your life in the process of trying to save another.

Also, when ringing 000 in this situation, always ask for the ambos when asked what service you want. They'll arrange for cops and fire if required. If possible, stay on the line to them as they are trained paramedics and can help talk you through the situation if required.

If someone has had a reasonably accident and could be affected by concussion, etc, call the ambos or take them to a hospital to get checked out. If they don't want the ambos coming out due to the cost, then let them know that you only get charged for the ambos if you get taken to hospital in the Ambulance. If the paramedics only check you out, there is no fee involved.
Old 29-09-2008, 06:05 PM   #13
AUIIForte

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
But what if they are unconscious?
Somebody correct me if I am wrong. But I am almost 100% certain that if a casualty is unconscious, it is, by law, your right to help them with no legal obligations. And if conscious, once you ask them if they need help and they say No, then, by law, you cannot help them.
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #14
azaxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIForte
Somebody correct me if I am wrong. But I am almost 100% certain that if a casualty is unconscious, it is, by law, your right to help them with no legal obligations. And if conscious, once you ask them if they need help and they say No, then, by law, you cannot help them.

This is right, Unless your putting yourself or anyone elses live in immediate danger.

Infact, You can end up worse off if you don't help especially if ur a trained first aider.
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #15
trburnard
Landau: Coming Soon

Nice work. I'm an St Johns ex-volunteer, and what has been said here is pretty much on the money. To add to that, IMHO I believe that we all have a moral obligation to assist as long as you are not putting your self or others in danger. First Aid training is a must and even simple short courses can save a life. You will be surprised how training kicks in and helps overcome the adrenalin and the enormity of the situation.

Not that I would have forgotten to put my seatbelt on but I think I speak for everyone here when I say that, if I were in that situation it is nice to know that there are blokes like you who would help me out of a dangerous situation.

Cheers

1973 Landau (Original 22000 mile survivor)
trburnard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2008, 05:40 PM   #16
ch33z1l
Dawn

I was driving along my street one night and was almost taken out by a young kid on a motorbike, and in trying to avoid hitting me, he swerved and hit a gutter and flipped a few mtrs into a tree. I rang the ambos straight away and halfway through the conversation he gets up and starts trying to take a swing at me. When the ambos and cops arrived he was claiming he didnt remember what happened. Whether it was the concussion etc talking, not sure, maybe it was the fact the cops were there and he was underage and riding with no lights on, not to mention it was probably stolen.
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2008, 07:03 PM   #17
azaxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch33z1l
I was driving along my street one night and was almost taken out by a young kid on a motorbike, and in trying to avoid hitting me, he swerved and hit a gutter and flipped a few mtrs into a tree. I rang the ambos straight away and halfway through the conversation he gets up and starts trying to take a swing at me. When the ambos and cops arrived he was claiming he didnt remember what happened. Whether it was the concussion etc talking, not sure, maybe it was the fact the cops were there and he was underage and riding with no lights on, not to mention it was probably stolen.
Symptons of a head injury, Moods can change within seconds even when your not aggrivating them. These people you have to watch out for as they can get real violent really fast and need urgent medical aid. Good work on calling the ambos.
Old 29-09-2008, 05:56 PM   #18
gtfpv
GT

to put this into perspective . consider this .
i was driving on the M4 in sydney at 90km/hr in a small hatchback laser . when carrboom !!! hit from behind at high speed . causing rear bumper to be in back seat. and excellerate to about 110, and go into a high speed spin . my head bounced back on impact , splitting it open on the headrest . apon my 200meter 5 rotation spin , and final stop against a crash barrier . two other cars involved stopped ran up to me to see if i was hurt . when they found out i was . argued with me , then waved through the stopped traffic . and then done a runner , leaving me for dead , witrh no witnesses, the traffic just drove passed me for a few minutes , untill i decided to climb out the drivers window .
that is the normal thing to expect from people these days .
a commend anyone with enough courage to be a decent human being thse days . you have no idea . how much it hurts when people drive by.
and how relieving it may be when people help.
Old 29-09-2008, 06:07 PM   #19
AUIIForte

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
to put this into perspective . consider this .
i was driving on the M4 in sydney at 90km/hr in a small hatchback laser . when carrboom !!! hit from behind at high speed . causing rear bumper to be in back seat. and excellerate to about 110, and go into a high speed spin . my head bounced back on impact , splitting it open on the headrest . apon my 200meter 5 rotation spin , and final stop against a crash barrier . two other cars involved stopped ran up to me to see if i was hurt . when they found out i was . argued with me , then waved through the stopped traffic . and then done a runner , leaving me for dead , witrh no witnesses, the traffic just drove passed me for a few minutes , untill i decided to climb out the drivers window .
that is the normal thing to expect from people these days .
a commend anyone with enough courage to be a decent human being thse days . you have no idea . how much it hurts when people drive by.
and how relieving it may be when people help.
I hope that really didn't happen!
Old 29-09-2008, 06:10 PM   #20
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIForte
I hope that really didn't happen!
you bet your life it did . followed by 12 months of depression . but you do get over it .
Old 29-09-2008, 06:41 PM   #21
AUIIForte

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
you bet your life it did . followed by 12 months of depression . but you do get over it .
Geeze, I just don't know what to say. That post hit me like a train. For people to be so heartless. I am so sorry, in the deepest that I can express, to hear that you had to suffer through such pain and agony. To also think that they would just drive off and get away with it and leave you there to die.

I just don't know what more to say. Just that I am so dissapointed and saddened in people these days.

What happened to Australia?
Old 29-09-2008, 05:57 PM   #22
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

top effort mate. well done
Old 29-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #23
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

gutsy move to do what you did made. Congrats on taking the initiative to help.

Most people would just stand there with their hand over their mouth in shock.

To move as quickly as you did could be the difference between life and death for those involved.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #24
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

I just did senior first aid and I was told not to Help if you do not have consent from the patient?

Looks like I was taught porkies!!
- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2008, 07:09 PM   #25
azaxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTDEF
I just did senior first aid and I was told not to Help if you do not have consent from the patient?

Looks like I was taught porkies!!
If conscious yes, But you are advised to stay with them and protect them from danger specially if they have a head injury or in a state of disillusioned

If unconscious its your duty of care to help out. The law will back you up on this.
Old 29-09-2008, 07:28 PM   #26
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaxr8
If conscious yes, But you are advised to stay with them and protect them from danger specially if they have a head injury or in a state of disillusioned

If unconscious its your duty of care to help out. The law will back you up on this.
Thats what I was thinking when I was being told.....

It would be hard just to walk passed someone in need of care....

But there have been those poor people who have helped out, and ended up with Bankruptcy due to the loopholes in the courts....

He did the right thing which was good.
- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2008, 03:19 AM   #27
azaxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTDEF
Thats what I was thinking when I was being told.....

It would be hard just to walk passed someone in need of care....

But there have been those poor people who have helped out, and ended up with Bankruptcy due to the loopholes in the courts....

He did the right thing which was good.

Yeh, points taken. I know there have been cases in america but i must of missed it in australia as i havent heard any. Considering committing suicide is illegal but saving someone from dying and then getting sued because they wanna die and winning?
Old 29-09-2008, 06:48 PM   #28
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

gtfpv - My feelings go out for you man. How can people call themselves human if they can just drive by some in REAL need for help. It makes me sick.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #29
azaxr8

Just resat my Senior first aid and OFA, What you done was the most vital step in resusitation. Tilting head back and opening airways as unconscious patients have no control over there tongue and will block the airway.

Also when removing them from the vehicle straight away was a top choice!!. Even thou it can cause extra damage to spine due specially in a car accident. But you must remove all crushing forces and if there unconscious u have no choice otherwise they will suffocate themself.

Good work.. Senior first aid is a cheap 2 day course and is great. Work will most likely pay for it in most cases.
Old 29-09-2008, 07:31 PM   #30
krt10
eskyman

gtfpv. i dont understand how people can be so selfish. to see another human being in i potential life ending situation and just drive past. that just makes me angry.
i didnt even have to think twice about helping and i cant understand how anyone else would not.
i feel sorry fro what happened to you. glad to hear that you got over it though.

azzaxr8, we couldnt remove him from the car as he was trapped in there. we were also advised not too