Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-05-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default AU into VT. Mixed feelings

So anyway after driving a VP I vowed never to own a V6 commodore. Coarse, noisy, and not that powerful. So naturally here I am with a VT. Moving from an AU to it's direct competitor in the space of two days, I can compare the two...

VT:

Suspension not as smooth, understeers a little more. Has noticeably more traction in the wet, but is easier to slide. Engine is smooth below 2500, coarseness rises until 4700 (when it's horrible), then drops off a little. Not as powerful. It has a shorter 1st which aids launching and burnouts, but the gap to secon is massive. Nailing it at 50km/h gives 2500-2800rpm. Annoyingly first can be stretched to 70, so it's a calibration issue. The ash tray has a gap at the bottom, so coins fall out under accelleration. Cup holders suck. Seat points to centre of car (or at least more centre then pedals) so the right side of the cusion is flatter than the left side. Lateral seat support non existant, but electric controls on drivers seat easy to use. Electric front windows are sorely missed. Alarm ****es me off when I unlock door with key. Tacho really big compared to AU item. Hidden data mode easy, but no l/100km. Standard traction control works well, and passenger has an airbag. Centre rear seat folds down, but hole is hardly big enough to use.

AU
Suspension is smoother but less predictabe. Alarmingly low amount of traction in the wet with the live axle. Harder to 'drift'. Smoother, more powerful engine. First gear taller than VT, but epic gap to 2nd not being so epic and extra (percieved) torque cancel it out. Both cars really need another gear to play with. Ash tray and cup holders are useful, but gimmick sunnies holder appears to be useless (mine was broken and I don't wear them anyway). Seating better than VT, but not by much. At least the lumbar supprt does something and the seats, wheel, and pedals are in a straight-ish line though. Interior a matter of taste, I like the AU better. Hidden data mode hard to get to, but info is more useful. Rear seats fold down for full boot access.

Should be noted that I owned an AU II Futura and a VT Acclaim. Both are one level up from base.

Just thought I should give you an impartial comparison from someone who owned both. I like the AU, and I want another. Just a little more modern feeling. Commodore looks better at front, but whoever decided to ship it without a botlid spoiler should be shot...

Old 18-05-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What, the post or the cars? I accept that the post is more or less meaningless, and the cars are pretty average. So which were you reffering to?
Old 18-05-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh now that's even more meaningless and confusing than your last post...

***EDIT: Oh come on... 20 minutes then I can't edit it? I *was* going to make it slightly easier to understand, but now I can't***
Old 18-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I thought it was a great write up. Looks quite unbiased, as both cars recieved criticism and praise. Thanks for the assessment BLSTIC. Some rep to you for a relevant and non one-eyed post.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

I thought the AU had IRS? Or was it a wagon?
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Optional on Sedans except for XR6, XR8 and Fairmont Ghia IIRC.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #7
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
AU2 Forte here, Live Axle for me.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The AUIII sedan had a live axle.... ????

It wasnt until the BA that the blade IRS came in.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 04:11 AM   #9
crazycatlady
Starter Motor

Default Re: AU into VT. Mixed feelings

Quote:
I agree very incf
crazycatlady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2010, 08:00 PM   #10
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Excellent write up there. I have driven both as well. Of course its obvious which one came up a winner to me.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #11
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

great comparison mate!!!

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2010, 09:03 PM   #12
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

That's an excellent writeup mate, and dead on the money. I have an AUII and my brother has a VT, and your experiences match mine almost exactly. It's not often we have a fair, unbiased, real world writeup here, so this anecdote of yours is an absolute credit to you. Rep added.
Old 18-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #13
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Traction (or lack of) on the AU would be a lot to do with the tyres fitted. How old were the tyres?
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2010, 10:29 PM   #14
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tyres were as purchased from dealership, had approxamately 3-4mm left, slightly less than my VT. I'm attributing it to the live axle as my EF I had previously did the same thing, and my stepdads stroked and supercharged AU 1 xr8 (with a *mere* 330rwhp, bucketloads of torque, and half worn cheap tyres) had no issues when driving normally in the wet. Also, both my EF and AU could be caught out on roads that were merely damp (ie not wet enough to throw much of a spray) when the conditions were wrong, and my VT needs provoking under the same conditions. It may have something to do with the softer throttle response of the VT, which is something I should have mentioned in the first post

It's worth noting that my EF and the VT wore 205/65/15's and the AU2 wore 215/55/16's (or thereabouts, never had to replace them).

*edit for more info*

Last edited by BLSTIC; 18-05-2010 at 10:36 PM.
BLSTIC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2010, 10:41 PM   #15
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

Being a mechanic by trade i have driven both cars a lot and sounds on the money to me. It felt like i was talking to my self.
VioletGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2010, 11:31 PM   #16
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting to note that you are a mechanic and think the same. Most mechanics like to choose either side religiously (or hate them both and drive a valiant) and really don't like to mention that they both have their good points and bad points.

If holden came out with an extra grunt and suspension pack for the V6 powered pre-VZ cars (to compete with the XR6 HP and VCT models) we would have had a hotly contested battle in production class racing. But they didn't, which is probably just as well. The Lion outsold the Blue Oval badly enough in those days.
Old 19-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #17
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLSTIC
Most mechanics like to choose either side religiously (or hate them both and drive a valiant toyota)
fixed for you

Quote:
If holden came out with an extra grunt and suspension pack for the V6 powered pre-VZ cars
Supercharged S-pak with FE2?
Old 19-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #18
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

whats hidden data mode? Is that just the trip computer?
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #19
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the VT/VX hold set and up (on dash controls) when you turn the key on. Release and then press mode to cycle through the screens. all self explanatory.

On AU it involves 30 or so button presses and a sacrificed lamb on full moons. Serious about the button presses though, it takes a good 35 seconds of perfect timing.
Old 19-05-2010, 06:49 PM   #20
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's true about the sunnies holder, it must be there just for show. Never could fit my sunglasses in that spot, usually it was just for the chewy and the garage door clicker.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #21
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AU's had live axle base model, irs option on futura. IRS stock on XR6 VCT, XR8, Fairlanes, and *maybe* fairmont. 5spd unavailable on futura upwards, except XRs. So to get IRS with 5Spd required XR6 :(
Old 20-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #22
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
AU's had live axle base model, irs option on futura. IRS stock on XR6 VCT, XR8, Fairlanes, and *maybe* fairmont. 5spd unavailable on futura upwards, except XRs. So to get IRS with 5Spd required XR6 :(
Standard on the Fairmont Ghia (definitely), option on Fairmont (I think).

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #23
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Top posting, but you missed the bit about the VT's chewing rear tyres real quick.

Myself, I think the AU's have a little less headroom, where the door meets the roof, when compared to the VT's.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #24
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine seems to be doing ok. Maybe it was bad wheel alignment or the ability to do skids?
Old 20-05-2010, 01:47 AM   #25
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As much as I support the Falcons. Honestly, it would be a completely different write-up if this was by a Commodore driver for a Commodore Forum.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2010, 03:23 AM   #26
sk8xr8
sliding by you...

Im a mechanic by trade, ive worked for ford, mainly on AU's at the time, and drove a VT, I would have to say that your assessment was on the money BLSTIC, im very unbiased when it comes to cars, very much the same as you, and i have found the same in owning both, id probly be inclined to say that the AU was more of a drivers car, much nicer, crisper steering, feels a lot lighter on its toes, and I do agree with the throttle response you mentioned, the VT isnt as sharp off idle like the AU, the VT has some good points too though, I do prefer the data on dash, and always seemed to get really good economy out of the VT on highways, but better in AU's around the suburbs....

Good post mate.
sk8xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #27
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

before had my au back when vt`s were new i hired an executive to go on holidays, 1`ll never forget the terrible back ache the seat gave me, for short trips it was quite good, but they`re not a patch on the au imo.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #28
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
before had my au back when vt`s were new i hired an executive to go on holidays, 1`ll never forget the terrible back ache the seat gave me, for short trips it was quite good, but they`re not a patch on the au imo.
Must say - the leather buckets in my AUII Ghia are great for the long haul drives... lumbar support seems to be in the perfect spot for me...

I've no experience with a VT... though I did roll 100,000km in a VZ exec wagon and I reckon that for a base model car that was a really great car... comfy... great on fuel... if I was buyin from my own cash BA/VZ i'd probably go the commo (and it looked reasonable too)...
Old 20-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #29
Chopped
as in chopped

I've driven a Supercharged VT but it was a bit of a bomb, so not the best example to compare to. However I noted that the AU (series3) seemed to drive better (smoother) but the VT launched harder. At the time I thought the AU was lacking in the looks dept compared to the VT but I think that is changing. The VT now looks the older vehicle. The AU look seems to have aged better (not saying it's perfect.).

Either way both are extremely good value vehicles for what you get price wise.
Old 21-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #30
bernadette86
soon to be low

Looks wise I prefer the vt/vx because the au looks like a pastie. But mechanically I prefer the au. Interior is better in the au.