Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-01-2017, 12:13 AM   #1
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Constant lane changing in heavy traffic a big cause of freeway crashes: VicRoads

How to discourage it?

Quote:
VicRoads has studied the correlation between crashes and lane-changing behaviour on Melbourne's busiest freeway, the Monash.
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/co...08-gtnpni.html
Old 09-01-2017, 01:35 AM   #2
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Constant lane changing in heavy traffic a big cause of freeway crashes: VicRoads

You won't stop the idiots who just have to be 1 car space ahead, at any cost.

It needs a wholesale change of attitude towards driving, and other drivers, leaving the selfishness & arrogance at home. That's why it will never happen.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2017, 07:57 AM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Constant lane changing in heavy traffic a big cause of freeway crashes: VicRoads

Poor lane discipline, the problem is its a 4 lane freeway and you get a bunch of douches driving slow in three of the 4 lanes creating a rolling roadblock.

So people chop and change lanes to get around them.

Not only that but a big section of it is 80km/h, they widened it and dropped the speed limit from 100 to 80, whats the point?

I'm aware in peak times you won't get close to 80 but in non peak times its a PITFA.

Then they want to reduce the speed limit on the Tullamarine Freeway to 80km/h after the widening is complete? Why bother widening it then? Just leave it as it is and leave it to 100km/h.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 09-01-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2017, 08:51 AM   #4
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Poor lane discipline, the problem is its a 4 lane freeway and you get a bunch of douches driving slow in three of the 4 lanes creating a rolling roadblock.

Not only that but a big section of it is 80km/h, they widened it and dropped the speed limit from 100 to 80, whats the point?

I'm aware in peak times you won't get close to 80 but in non peak times its a PITFA.

Then they want to reduce the speed limit on the Tullamarine Freeway to 80km/h after the widening is complete? Why bother widening it then? Just leave it as it is and leave it to 100km/h.
Hi. Most of it is 100 kph (for cars), always been 80k from high st overpass but that has become a variable speed limit to yarra bend exit inbound and from yarra bend on ramp to high st. Problem spots at the moment are inbound to and outbound from eastlink with a lot of 80k sections for roadworks and both directions between Jacksons rd and Huntingdale rd where trucks are limited to 90k but have no lane restrictions placed on them (WTF were vicroads thinking), because of this you now get trucks that that do any speed between 110k (I,m not really a truck) down to 70k (older big rigs that start at 90k but have fallen out of the peak torque band on some of the climbs). Now add in people on phones or dont know what exit the want or wont drive over 80k because their eyeballs will explode along with cars that seem to do 95 ks every where (because the speedo says 100) and people who are on the road all the time who use a GPS to track their speed (and sit on 99 to 101 ks) and tell me that you dont need to change lanes just to get anywhere. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-01-2017, 08:57 AM   #5
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:

This.

The only way to stop this behaviour is to put tasers in all Toyota products. It will zap the driver if he drops below the posted limit in all lanes bar the right; if he somehow finds himself in the right lane, instant zap regardless of speed until they move back into the other lanes

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
10 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2017, 09:06 AM   #6
Ansimp

Increase the speed limits Vic roads and police keeping left more, then there would be no need to constantly change lanes!
Actually all states could benefit from this......
Ansimp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2017, 10:35 AM   #7
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansimp View Post
Increase the speed limits Vic roads and police keeping left more, then there would be no need to constantly change lanes!
Actually all states could benefit from this......
There are very large signs on multi lane roads in Qld advising "KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING" yet the majority of empty heads drive in the far right lane ... I've observed Police cars doing this, so what hope is there?
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2017, 10:13 PM   #8
railtrolley

Quote:

These freeways in Melbourne are being widened the cheap way. Add an extra lane by converting the emergency stop lane to a running lane, but not keeping an emergency stop lane. Without the emergency stop lane, the freeway speed limit cannot be 100km/h, too dangerous I s'pose, so the limits are dropped to 80km/h.

Remember years ago when the Westgate bridge was 100km/h? It was widened to 4 lanes and no longer had an emergency stop lane, so it was dropped to 80km/h. Now it is 5 lanes.

Besides this lane changing my pet peeve is driver's who go on the freeway with insufficient fuel and run out -causing a totally unnecessary hold up.

Tilt Bullbar before raising cab

2004 BA Mk1 XR8 - SS inductions big mouth Vortex intake. Dual exhaust.
railtrolley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2017, 10:03 AM   #9
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by railtrolley View Post
These freeways in Melbourne are being widened the cheap way. Add an extra lane by converting the emergency stop lane to a running lane, but not keeping an emergency stop lane. Without the emergency stop lane, the freeway speed limit cannot be 100km/h, too dangerous I s'pose, so the limits are dropped to 80km/h.

Remember years ago when the Westgate bridge was 100km/h? It was widened to 4 lanes and no longer had an emergency stop lane, so it was dropped to 80km/h. Now it is 5 lanes.

Besides this lane changing my pet peeve is driver's who go on the freeway with insufficient fuel and run out -causing a totally unnecessary hold up.
Yes that's what I heard, my idea would be to utilise the lane speed signs they have and make an emergency lane in off peak periods, therefore lift the speed limit.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-01-2017, 04:19 PM   #10
stig_3754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Yes that's what I heard, my idea would be to utilise the lane speed signs they have and make an emergency lane in off peak periods, therefore lift the speed limit.
The only issue with that is keeping the smartasses off the emergency lane when it's active, otherwise I think that's an ideal solution. Or instead of making the limit 80km/h as they do now, make it 90km/h for off-peak times and don't remove the lane. 80km/h seems a bit excessive in off-peak times IMO.
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2017, 08:18 AM   #11
kcodezd
0o\==^==/o0
Donating Member3

You can't get a speeding ticket if your only doing 85kph in a 100 zone, but if it's a 80 zone. Thanks for the revenue.
1978 W123 Mercedes Benz 280e
2004 BA XR8
2007 W211 E63 ////AMG
2008 Fiat Ritmo -for the kids to take ownership of while I pay for running costs
2009 SYii Territory Ts now the kids swapped with below
2011 W212 Mercedes Benz E350 now the wife’s swapped with above
kcodezd is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2017, 11:15 AM   #12
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

A big reason for drivers changing lanes frequently, is due to the left lanes opening up then closing all the time, especially at freeway exits/entrances. Try staying in the left lane, its near impossible with all the traffic continually changing lanes in front and behind you, and the lanes finishing all the time. Anyone entering the freeway has to change across at least one or two lanes before there is some traffic flow. This mayhem encourages drivers to stay in the right lanes.

Ever driven on a British motorway? When entering, the lane you're in continues on so there is no reason to change lanes. Its the rightmost lane that closes further up, so the rightmost lane traffic needs to change lanes. Makes for much safer safer entries / exits of motorways, and encourages drivers to stay in the left lanes.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2017, 10:17 AM   #13
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post

Ever driven on a British motorway? When entering, the lane you're in continues on so there is no reason to change lanes. Its the rightmost lane that closes further up, so the rightmost lane traffic needs to change lanes. Makes for much safer safer entries / exits of motorways, and encourages drivers to stay in the left lanes.
I remember this & found it works really well, that and drivers are happy to move over to let somebody past if they want to go faster.

Over here there is some sort of Vigilante attitude that makes people sit in the right lane at 99kph, and they start flapping their arms or shaking their head if you left lane them..
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2017, 11:19 AM   #14
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Its because "Keep Left unless Overtaking" is considered optional in this country and NEVER enforced by police. People now actively use the inside lane as an undertaking lane. Do this in Europe and you will be dragged out of your car through the windscreen. And thats before the cops get to you.
Our driving attitudes are appalling and our skill base seems to be dropping rapidly.
Watching people trying to enter and merge cleanly on a freeway these days is like watching a penguin try and find its knees............bloody painful.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:26 PM   #15
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While in the US recently they appeared to have better lane discipline than we have here. From my observations on Melbourne freeways driving has become more impulsive, see a space and grab it regardless no matter what lane you are in.

There are more multiple car pileups now than there ever used to be due to this cluster *$#@ driving style. Throw in more in car distractions to the mix as well.

I don't buy the line that it is beyond changing, if there is the political will and bipartisan support then you can establish change in attitude with a long term educational campaign coupled with a big penalty stick that is strictly enforced.

Safe travels,
Bill.
4 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2017, 04:11 PM   #16
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT View Post
People now actively use the inside lane as an undertaking lane.
I don't think there's anything wrong with "undertaking", personally. I'm aware it's illegal in most of the rest of the world, but the way I see it, if people are slow, I'm going to get around them any which way I can.

If people are paying attention to their surroundings, it wouldn't be a problem.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2017, 04:19 PM   #17
XWGT