Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-05-2022, 03:54 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Thailand Special sales plummet 70% in NZ

Our farm animal enthusiast cousins nearby us have introduced new environmental legislation targeting diesel light commercial vehicles, which has subsequently caused Thailand Specials and vans with diesel engines sales to plummet circa 70% in a month.

Now I'm fairly sure there are unleaded and or hybrid variations of these things that aren't offered in the AUS/NZ market, cause you know we traditionally buy diesel LCVs, so the manufacturers only offer diesel in this infinite feedback loop.

Now that this has happened, maybe the car manufacturers will consider bringing in their unleaded/hybrid variations of the Thailand Specials and vans which exist in other markets, rather than losing an entire market, cause you know, capitalism.

Quote:
New Zealand’s ‘green car’ policy slammed as ute sales hit the brakes

Ute buyers in New Zealand have been left fuming and out of pocket after the government introduced vehicle emissions targets – and financial penalties – that are more severe than in Europe.

Under the radical scheme – which came into force last month – buyers of utes and vans are slugged an extra $NZ2500 to $NZ4500 on the purchase of a new vehicle, while buyers of low-emissions cars such as electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles instead pocket a taxpayer-funded rebate of between $NZ3450 and $NZ8625.

The strict new emissions guidelines – and price penalties – came into force in New Zealand last month and had an immediate impact on sales.

Sales of utes and vans in New Zealand plummeted by 72 per cent in April 2022 compared to the same month the prior year – the biggest slowdown on record – after new cost penalties were applied to vehicles that exceed impossibly strict emissions limits.
https://www.drive.com.au/news/new-ze...it-the-brakes/
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-05-2022, 04:23 PM   #2
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Thailand Special sales plummet 70% in NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Our farm animal enthusiast cousins nearby us have introduced new environmental legislation targeting diesel light commercial vehicles, which has subsequently caused Thailand Specials and vans with diesel engines sales to plummet circa 70% in a month.

Now I'm fairly sure there are unleaded and or hybrid variations of these things that aren't offered in the AUS/NZ market, cause you know we traditionally buy diesel LCVs, so the manufacturers only offer diesel in this infinite feedback loop.

Now that this has happened, maybe the car manufacturers will consider bringing in their unleaded/hybrid variations of the Thailand Specials and vans which exist in other markets, rather than losing an entire market, cause you know, capitalism.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/new-ze...it-the-brakes/
Will be very interesting to see if a Labor government adopts this approach.
Old 03-05-2022, 04:32 PM   #3
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
Will be very interesting to see if a Labor government adopts this approach.
Rather than banning diesels, I think Labor is looking at opening the door to electrified vehicle, be that hybrid PHEV or BEV.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2022, 04:35 PM   #4
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Rather than banning diesels, I think Labor is looking at opening the door to electrified vehicle, be that hybrid PHEV or BEV.
Very likely, someone needs to get the ‘ball rolling’ on that.
Old 03-05-2022, 04:39 PM   #5
Bossxr8
Peter Car

More utes for the aussie market then.

Very harsh though, cause what is the alternative green ute? You can't buy a hybrid or EV ute in NZ.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2022, 05:46 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

Very harsh though, cause what is the alternative green ute? You can't buy a hybrid or EV ute in NZ.
Market will probably respond, you can't at the moment but one imagines the OEMs will be looking at this huge loss and investigate bringing PHEV/Hybrid/EV ute to AUS/NZ.

Isn't there a hybrid Ranger? Also the USDM Ranger is unleaded, surely would get around these taxes.

Yes, I'm sure unleaded Ranger uses much more fuel but the alternative is no Ranger
Old 03-05-2022, 06:37 PM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:

https://www.ace-ev.com.au/ace-yewt/

With the 'Latest news' being around 1.5 years old I'm wondering how long before we see any on the road, if at all?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2022, 06:39 PM   #8
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How to turn a broke **** country with excessive cost of living more broke and more expensive.
The lengths an ideologically driven government void of real world experience will go to stick it to the working man and small businesses while subsiding wealthy boomers into EVs.

It is too early to draw a conclusion on this tax, and it may be a coincidence of timing.
Business and consumer confidence has tanked while interest rates and fuel prices have sky rocketed.
Government introduced harsh lending restrictions at the start of the year making it a more difficult and longer process to obtain finance for home, business and vehicle lending.
There was a rush from all dealers to register vehicles that fall under this tax in March, so April sales will be lagging.

I think people have more important worries atm, whether they run small business, employee or self employeed. Around 50% of fixed mortgage rates come off this year, so that is going to wipe a huge amount of disposable income from households. A Thai special isn’t going to be high on the priority list.
The boomers who’ve cashed in on the property market and downsized their house, or the bludging public service worker on an inflated six figure income creating work for themselves will have no drama buying a model 3 or Kona EV with a tax payer subsided $8k discount though. Happy days.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2022, 07:10 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
How to turn a broke **** country with excessive cost of living more broke and more expensive.
The lengths an ideologically driven government void of real world experience will go to stick it to the working man and small businesses while subsiding wealthy boomers into EVs.

It is too early to draw a conclusion on this tax, and it may be a coincidence of timing.
Business and consumer confidence has tanked while interest rates and fuel prices have sky rocketed.
Government introduced harsh lending restrictions at the start of the year making it a more difficult and longer process to obtain finance for home, business and vehicle lending.
There was a rush from all dealers to register vehicles that fall under this tax in March, so April sales will be lagging.

I think people have more important worries atm, whether they run small business, employee or self employeed. Around 50% of fixed mortgage rates come off this year, so that is going to wipe a huge amount of disposable income from households. A Thai special isn’t going to be high on the priority list.
The boomers who’ve cashed in on the property market and downsized their house, or the bludging public service worker on an inflated six figure income creating work for themselves will have no drama buying a model 3 or Kona EV with a tax payer subsided $8k discount though. Happy days.
Mind you, NZ keeps electing it's government so there has to be a lot of support for the ideological side of it that we've seen with these new taxes
Old 03-05-2022, 07:44 PM   #10
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mind you, NZ keeps electing it's government so there has to be a lot of support for the ideological side of it that we've seen with these new taxes
More so how hopeless the other side of politics is over there. There’s no one else to realistically vote for.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2022, 07:53 PM   #11
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The last election was when the was country cucked by covid. From memory no policies (including this one) were discussed, announced or proposed that didn't involve covid.
Even if it was, I don't think it would have made a difference. Most people aren't buying Utes every month, so it doesn't effect the population. Well I guess it does indirectly through passed down costs somewhere down the line but most people don't see it that way.

The tax also applies to classic imports that are being registered for the first time, or used vehicles being re registered.
So for example one could have a deregistered EL Fairmont Ghia 6 cylinder. Worth maybe $8k in good condition, but they're gonna get stung $5k tax to put it on the road, along with any repairs required during the inspection.
Old 03-05-2022, 08:02 PM   #12
xb74_black

Id buy a hybrid ute. It would be great, especially if i could hook power tools into the giant battery pack.
xb74_black is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2022, 08:34 PM   #13
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Car companies in Australia seem to be increasing their prices at a quicker rate than that tax hike.
Hasn't done much to slow sales here.
I doubt this will make a huge dent in sales.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2022, 09:06 PM   #14
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Locals are saying that this new Tax is very 'Baaaaaaaa d'

CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2022, 12:35 AM   #15
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Hope they adopt this here locally. I'd love Ford to fast track the Ranger Lightning.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2022, 01:42 AM   #16
hayseed

Quote:
Market will probably respond, you can't at the moment but one imagines the OEMs will be looking at this huge loss and investigate bringing PHEV/Hybrid/EV ute to AUS/NZ.
Will the OEM's actually care about some Pinprick in a Map where Annual New Sales are ~150,000 ??When there's waiting Lists several Months Long All over the rest of the Globe...

I think Not...
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2022, 01:42 PM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Will the OEM's actually care about some Pinprick in a Map where Annual New Sales are ~150,000 ??When there's waiting Lists several Months Long All over the rest of the Globe...

I think Not...
European countries are doing similar things,

You could have said the same things about the original emissions regulations that happened in the 1970s, if it wasn't the government forcing OEMs hands we'd probably all still be driving cars with 460s, carbs, C6 and leaded fuel doing 30L/100km.

I thought the same thing about Google and Facebook when our government hit them up for money for our media companies, and they both could have just withdrew their services from Australia, but they're driven by money so they both capitulated, given we're a tiny market on the *** end of the world for both Google and Facebook.

If there's money on the table, they'll want all of it don't worry, all it takes is someone else to offer something in that space and watch them all come crawling back, its who makes the first move is the interesting part.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 04-05-2022 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-05-2022, 02:29 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Isn't there a hybrid Ranger? Also the USDM Ranger is unleaded, surely would get around these taxes.

Yes, I'm sure unleaded Ranger uses much more fuel but the alternative is no Ranger
NZ market isn't worth doing anything for. It's too small a market.

But a rumoured PHEV Ranger next year might please them.
Old 05-05-2022, 02:46 PM   #19
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

if the Kiwis were serious, they'd fast track euro 6 emissions and then they'd get all the lovely UK spec cars. This is just a cash grab.

https://www.transport.govt.nz/area-o...ge/clean-cars/

https://www.rightcar.govt.nz/vehicle...ts?q=15|2633||

any report that this is going to impact sales is a beat up. Of you are really in the market for a ute is a $4k charge really going to push you into a sedan? I don't think so
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2022, 11:29 PM   #20
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

VF MY13, VF MY14 utes (all motor specs on these) with SIDI 6 or V8 E85 motors.

(Maybe VEII 3.0 SIDI E85 as well?)

Last edited by Sprintey; 06-05-2022 at 11:39 PM.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2022, 11:34 PM   #21
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cuz, I've got the solution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xORfYWPzib4

even arranged in a big V shape...
Old 07-05-2022, 08:35 AM   #22
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
if the Kiwis were serious, they'd fast track euro 6 emissions and then they'd get all the lovely UK spec cars. This is just a cash grab.

https://www.transport.govt.nz/area-o...ge/clean-cars/

https://www.rightcar.govt.nz/vehicle...ts?q=15|2633||

any report that this is going to impact sales is a beat up. Of you are really in the market for a ute is a $4k charge really going to push you into a sedan? I don't think so
The tax was forecast about 6mths out so everyone that needed a ute bought early thats why the April sales plummeted .....in reality instead of saving the planet it cleaned out all stocks of utes and skyrocketed the price of utes before the tax even arrived and helped fuel inflation (good one Jacinda)

Last service i had done on my near 3 year old Triton the dealer offered me more than i paid for it ....before the tax come in the price had increased 8k so with the tax thats 12k

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2022, 09:46 AM   #23
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
NZ market isn't worth doing anything for. It's too small a market.

But a rumoured PHEV Ranger next year might please them.

I shudder to think what that will be worth $
$
$
$
$
$
$

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 08-05-2022, 11:01 AM   #24
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post
The tax was forecast about 6mths out so everyone that needed a ute bought early thats why the April sales plummeted .....in reality instead of saving the planet it cleaned out all stocks of utes and skyrocketed the price of utes before the tax even arrived and helped fuel inflation (good one Jacinda)

Last service i had done on my near 3 year old Triton the dealer offered me more than i paid for it ....before the tax come in the price had increased 8k so with the tax thats 12k
I don’t think your Triton will be subject to the tax, as it’s already registered. It only applies to new registrations.
But much like everything the government meddles in and ****s up not considering the unintended consequences. Used vehicles especially utes and SUVs will increase in price consistent with the tax. They were told that from numerous groups and businesses but an admin full of unionists, school teachers and career politicians know best.
Old 08-05-2022, 01:13 PM   #25
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
I don’t think your Triton will be subject to the tax, as it’s already registered. It only applies to new registrations.
But much like everything the government meddles in and ****s up not considering the unintended consequences. Used vehicles especially utes and SUVs will increase in price consistent with the tax. They were told that from numerous groups and businesses but an admin full of unionists, school teachers and career politicians know best.
No I wasn't suggesting the tax would apply just demonstrating how it had affected prices

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 08-05-2022, 01:42 PM   #26
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So will Luxton the Nats leader get rid of this legislation when Labour lose the next election?
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2022, 01:49 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
So will Luxton the Nats leader get rid of this legislation when Labour lose the next election?
'IF' more like it, looks like NZ loves a cheeky bit of virtue signalling, who was that angry old woman opposition leader who was making headlines over here?

Edit: Judith 'Crusher' Collins
Old 08-05-2022, 05:27 PM   #28
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Only if there's political gain it's all about getting your snout in the trough , once they've got there all they care about is staying there and hovering up as much as they can

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 09-05-2022, 11:12 AM   #29
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Cuz, I've got the solution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xORfYWPzib4

even arranged in a big V shape...
Love it Kiwis finding a way, tbh if people were serious about the environment converting old cars make much less impact.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2022, 01:00 PM   #30
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey
VF MY13, VF MY14 utes (all motor specs on these) with SIDI 6 or V8 E85 motors.

(Maybe VEII 3.0 SIDI E85 as well?)
What do they have to do with new car sales though?