Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-09-2021, 08:14 PM   #1
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default GWM Ute..anyone looked at them closely?

As the title says, anyone had a decent look at them?

I happened to look over one again today whilst on my lunch break, the top line Cannon X.
For what they are and what they give for the coin, they make you look twice if you can look past where its made and by whom.

Saw a comparison with Ranger XL 2.2 done in South Africa and it came out on top in many area's.
Another vidoe had it put it up against the mainstream brands in a drag race on salt pans and it didnt come last.

Im seeing them pop up everywhere.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-09-2021, 08:20 PM   #2
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Default Re: GWM Ute..anyone looked at them closely?

I have had a look at one closely recently.

They're not too bad... for the money.

They have certainly improved out of sight in the last few years and if they keep improving, they will be on the shopping list in 18 months time when we are in the market to replace the wife's car.

Not being sexist at all, but my wife doesn't care about handling and shaving half a second off her trip to the shops - she wants features!!!
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-09-2021, 08:22 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Has dodgy trans calibration apparently, be more inclined to go quality China - LDV T60
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-09-2021, 08:25 PM   #4
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Has dodgy trans calibration apparently, be more inclined to go quality China - LDV T60

Went in a mates one last week. Not bad especially for 35k. Seats were horrible.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-09-2021, 08:29 PM   #5
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
I have had a look at one closely recently.

They're not too bad... for the money.

They have certainly improved out of sight in the last few years and if they keep improving, they will be on the shopping list in 18 months time when we are in the market to replace the wife's car.

Not being sexist at all, but my wife doesn't care about handling and shaving half a second off her trip to the shops - she wants features!!!
Thats what i thought too, i mean its no ranger 3.2 or 2.0 competitor at 120kw and 400nm but if you dont need more than that, and im coming from a NS Pajero with similar specs which tows our van perfectly fine, then its certainly worth consideration.
I like how bulky they look, the ZF 8 speed and BW transfer case and the step on the tailgate as my dodgy knees would find that very helpful..

Even little touches like the USB connection behind the mirror for dashcams is a nice addition as i hate cables dangling around the dash area.

Whatever we end up buying will be the Wife's daily and double as our tow rig and she's already sat in one and found it comfortable.

From what i've read and been told the company is keen to listen to feedback and act on it, they've already provided an update for the lag customers of early examples complained about and its made a difference.

For $42k drive away
2 users like this post:
Old 29-09-2021, 08:30 PM   #6
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Already updated and being uploaded to existing customers utes during service or by request.

Friend of ours owns a caravan sales yard and uses a T60 to drag vans all over the state and only today returned from WA after delivering one there, he reckons they go well and they have even less get up and go than the GWM at 110kw and 360nm.

Last edited by BENT_8; 29-09-2021 at 08:36 PM.
Old 29-09-2021, 09:46 PM   #7
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im seeing them everywhere lately. If you wait 6 months you'll be able to pick them up second hand for a couple hundy
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-09-2021, 10:10 PM   #8
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’ve looked at them closely and for the money you can’t really go wrong. Just got a get past where they’re made and the badge. There’s a new LDV T60 on the way if you don’t mind that brand. From what I gather they’re constantly improving the car as they go.

One thing that I’m not sure of is aftermarket accessories- do they make any for them?

I’d prefer to buy a used Ranger but to get something for that money it’s either going to be the best past of 10 years old or it’ll have nearly 200,000km on it. Not really appealing.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-09-2021, 10:51 PM   #9
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
I’ve looked at them closely and for the money you can’t really go wrong. Just got a get past where they’re made and the badge. There’s a new LDV T60 on the way if you don’t mind that brand. From what I gather they’re constantly improving the car as they go.

One thing that I’m not sure of is aftermarket accessories- do they make any for them?

I’d prefer to buy a used Ranger but to get something for that money it’s either going to be the best past of 10 years old or it’ll have nearly 200,000km on it. Not really appealing.
Salesman told me accessories are coming through now, aftermarket are ahead of dealer fit as they dont have to worry about manufacturer testing and warranty.
Basic stuff dealer fit below, canopies coming soon, havent looked into aftermarket yet.

https://www.gwmhaval.com.au/dxdam/c0...Jul%202021.pdf

Was also interesting to hear about wait times, he said they are still building despite semiconductor shortages, they had them arriving minus modules like 4wd and giving customers option of taking delivery and fitting after or waiting for module shipment.
Not a problem so long as you dont need the 4wd capability immediately.
Around 3 month wait, said most of the time the modules are arriving around the same time or within a week and delivered complete.

I tend to agree on the alternative, hard to find a post 16 PX2 XLT for the same coin and those that are have higher k's.

For comparison we priced a Hilux extracab as thats all the dealer we called into had in stock, SR base spec in white, started off at 40k, then it jumped to 43k, by the time he came back with a firm price it was $48kda but could maybe do it for $46kda, if we were serious,i laughed and left him standing there.
Old 30-09-2021, 12:26 AM   #10
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was at a dealer when my ex bought her Haval, and took a sticky at the GWM utes, bloody hell, they are an impressive beast when you look at dollars per KG. Paul Maric even insinuated during his Jolion review that the mainstream brands are taking the p when it comes to what you get for the money in their cars. Either that or the chinese will play the long game and buy market share by charging less for more features. Its both im sure.
Anyway, the haval/gwm dealer was flat strap, and they have just released a 2WD ute drivetrain to get the entry price even lower.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 30-09-2021, 12:45 AM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
I was at a dealer when my ex bought her Haval, and took a sticky at the GWM utes, bloody hell, they are an impressive beast when you look at dollars per KG. Paul Maric even insinuated during his Jolion review that the mainstream brands are taking the p when it comes to what you get for the money in their cars. Either that or the chinese will play the long game and buy market share by charging less for more features. Its both im sure.
Anyway, the haval/gwm dealer was flat strap, and they have just released a 2WD ute drivetrain to get the entry price even lower.
Quote:
You're wrong on Chinese utes: Why your next diesel dual-cab might not be a Toyota HiLux or a Ford Ranger | Opinion

Great Wall's new ute offering, the Cannon, which debuted in 2021. The brand had been off the pace, and they knew it. What's staggering is how fast they caught up.

Its turbo-diesel now produces 120kW and 400Nm, which is channeled through an eight-speed ZF automatic. It can tow three tonne, carry more than a tonne, and offers all the modern safety and technology equipment you might expect.

It does not look out of place in a line-up with the rest of Australia's ute offerings, and it's lightyears from the Steed. And Great Wall did all that in a handful of years.

Hell, it'll soon also be Chinese only in name. The company has bought Holden's old factory in Thailand – which is the same country your Ford Ranger, along with countless others, comes from.

Or take LDV, which will soon launch Australia's most powerful four-cylinder diesel ute in the new T60, and has invested in local suspension tuning, too.
https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...ota-hilux-or-a

Quote:

LDV Australia is about to reset the four-cylinder benchmark for dual-cab utes, with the facelifted T60 set to launch in the coming months with a new twin-turbo engine that will outpower the best-selling Toyota HiLux and Ford Ranger.

As reported, the T60’s facelift was previewed in March by the Chinese-market Maxus T90, but now it’s been revealed in New Zealand with the appropriate badging and some key details.

Across the ditch, the facelifted T60 is headlined by a new 160kW/480Nm 2.0-litre twin-turbo diesel four-cylinder engine, which puts it ahead of the most potent HiLux (150kW/500Nm) and Ranger (157kW/500Nm) units on power but not torque.
https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...r-toyota-hilux

They're trying, wonder how much sway our market has for LDV and GWM.
Old 30-09-2021, 06:45 AM   #12
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For $42k you could pick up a 100 Series Land Cruiser Sahara with the 1hdfte which will do everything this disposable Chinese junk does except drop $25k in value after 5 years.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2021, 02:51 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Wheels did a swerve test in one during a dual cab ute comparison, and the steering loaded up so much it became rock hard and bloody hard to steer.

Sounds completely safe.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2021, 04:31 PM   #14
DMXR6T

I will not buy anything made in China given their petty trade sanctions against Australia and their action in South China sea and other places. Rather go without.
DMXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2021, 05:10 PM   #15
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its funny that your former Prime Minister Kevin Rudd lives in China and makes most of his income over there. I hope you didn’t vote for him. If China is good for him. It can’t be too bad for you right????
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2021, 05:57 PM   #16
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss351290 View Post
Its funny that your former Prime Minister Kevin Rudd lives in China and makes most of his income over there. I hope you didn’t vote for him. If China is good for him. It can’t be too bad for you right????
Really? I thought he moved to the Sunshine Coast
Old 30-09-2021, 06:14 PM   #17
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
For $42k you could pick up a 100 Series Land Cruiser Sahara with the 1hdfte which will do everything this disposable Chinese junk does except drop $25k in value after 5 years.
I worked for Toyota during the last run of 80 series and beginning of 100 series, great thing for their time and still hold their own but if i wanted an old 4wd with zero tech id keep the Pajero as it does everything i need it to do too.
But i dont, i want something new or newer and refuse to pay $40k to move up from 07 to 15.
The Wife wouldnt even consider it as itll be her daily and replace her current model ASX, she aint going back to CD's, or an aftermarket Sony HU.

In 5 years time when next gen Rangers are hitting the used market thats resettled post Covid any PX2 with a screen that'll set you back $40k+ right now will have lost as much as the 5yr old GW ute, but atleast i'd have 5 years of warranty in the mean time.
Old 30-09-2021, 06:17 PM   #18
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMXR6T View Post
I will not buy anything made in China given their petty trade sanctions against Australia and their action in South China sea and other places. Rather go without.
Anything?

You mustn't own many posessions then or is some stuff ok?
Old 30-09-2021, 10:08 PM   #19
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Guys, the question was, "GWM Ute..anyone looked at them closely?"

Let's not turn this thread into another 'I won't buy Chinese thread.'
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2021, 10:35 PM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
For the sake of balance:

3 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2021, 12:13 AM   #21
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
“I looked at one with my wife”, “I looked at one yesterday” lol

I actually looked at them myself and drove one, they are no Ford Ranger or Hilux.

No serious tradesman or off-road driver would buy one of these ****boxes.
Lol, let me spell it out for you sweetheart, i'll go slow for you.

My Wife and i had a brief look at them 3 weeks ago while we were away for the weekend, we can do that here in SA, lol.
The dealership was closing so we didn't have time to test drive it but sat in it to see how it felt and had a quick look around it, i mentioned this in another thread.
I did a bit of research and as luck would have it, the dealer is actually a customer of the company i now work for and last week i had to go there on work related business so i asked for a brochure.

Yesterday i was in the area on my lunch break so i had a bit more time, i had a better look around and quizzed the salesman on some of the things id discovered, what he said was pretty much what independent reviewers had said, there was no BS.
Its 42k driveaway, it is what it is, the company is keen to build its reputation, they dont 'all do that', lol.

I was offered a test drive which i declined due to time and wanting my Wife with me as it'll be a joint purchase so we are going back Saturday afternoon as they said we can take the demo X model for a good run to see if it will do what we want.

Today i wandered into a toyota yard as they had another extracab and i was keen to compare the price against the one i mentioned a few posts ago, whilst discussing my budget with him he asked if id considered the GW ute, i said yes but wasnt sure about reliability and the brand, he said the inside word is they are extremely keen to provide customer satisfaction, this from a guy who doesnt even sell them.

Im not a tradesman or serious offroader, i just want to tow my 1700kg van with it which it will do, apart from that it'll be doing what 90% of every other dualcab does, putts around suburbia.

Will we buy one, i don't know, its still early in our search so that remains to be seen but its certainly hilarious to see how triggered you are to want to post in a thread about a vehicle you don't rate.
For the record, i don't care what you think.

Enjoy!

Last edited by BENT_8; 01-10-2021 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:41 AM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
For the sake of balance:

Also he is using one example that's the exception to the rule and applying it across the whole brand.

What it does highlight is that we have very poor consumer protection laws in Australia.

'They all do that' - until there's a class lawsuit and we get sued and the court rules against us, then we'll address the issue.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:59 AM   #23
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Also he is using one example that's the exception to the rule and applying it across the whole brand.

What it does highlight is that we have very poor consumer protection laws in Australia.

'They all do that' - until there's a class lawsuit and we get sued and the court rules against us, then we'll address the issue.
He should do one on Everest doors rusting out.
Old 01-10-2021, 03:13 PM   #24
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Out on the road in a different country region and happened upon a very nice PX2 ranger XLT 3.2 6A in white with under 100ks on it, canopy, racks,new tyres, mint inside, set up for towing already.
Its a bit older than id really like but priced reasonable considering.
Has everything we need.

Going back tomorrow for a closer look and drive with the Wife, she loves the PX2 look so if we can find level ground with the seller the search may be over.

Question for those in the know, the oil change issues that PX1 3.2's had if you let them drain too long, is it an issue with PX2 and if not when in the product cycle was it rectified?

Last edited by BENT_8; 01-10-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:10 PM   #25
DMXR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Anything?

You mustn't own many posessions then or is some stuff ok?
Nothing and I mean nothing! Happy to pay more for products made anywhere else.
DMXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2021, 11:11 PM   #26
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Out on the road in a different country region and happened upon a very nice PX2 ranger XLT 3.2 6A in white with under 100ks on it, canopy, racks,new tyres, mint inside, set up for towing already.
Its a bit older than id really like but priced reasonable considering.
Has everything we need.

Going back tomorrow for a closer look and drive with the Wife, she loves the PX2 look so if we can find level ground with the seller the search may be over.

Question for those in the know, the oil change issues that PX1 3.2's had if you let them drain too long, is it an issue with PX2 and if not when in the product cycle was it rectified?
Pretty sure that was addressed by the time PX II arrived.

If it were me, I would prefer to be towing with the 3.2 Ranger with 470 Nm compared to 2.0 400 Nm GWM.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2021, 11:31 PM   #27
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
If it were me, I would prefer to be towing with the 3.2 Ranger with 470 Nm compared to 2.0 400 Nm GWM.
No doubt, im in no way of the opinion that the GWM can out perform the 3.2 Ranger but finding a good Ranger with enough life left in it to warrant similar money to a new GWM ute is not any easy thing in SA at the moment.
Many are double the k's for similar coin

Id love to be able to buy a new Ranger but for the similar coin id get a povo spec 2.2l XL.

The PX2 we're going to look at looks as though its been in a bubble, not a mark on the interior or paint, even the tub liner looks as though its never been touched.

Its been used as a tow rig before, thats obvious, but if i had to guess it was owned by an elderly couple as it just has that feel about it.
Its loaded with extra's that would cost us thousands of dollars on top of whatever new ute we bought,.
There really is only 1 downside which isnt a deal breaker in any case and something i can overlook for the condition its in.

I showed the Wife some pics when i got home and she's definitely interested, will all depend on how keen the dealer is to make a sale.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:41 PM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'd be keen to go the Chinese Special, you get new car warranty for the same coin, even though it might be a bit agricultural, its good peace of mind that if it turns to **** that (legally) the dealership will foot the bill.

Do you care about resale at all? If you're going to own it until it dies than maybe its not a bad option.

Be more inclined for LDV T60 though, cause seems like more of them around and parts availability will likely be better.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 01-10-2021 at 11:53 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2021, 11:41 PM   #29
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
That was one of my major problems with the GWM. Having driven one (the top spec, whatever thats called, Cannon X I think??) the value equation is hard to beat, and I found it pretty well built but I came away with 2 issues:

- As alluded to above, low power outputs, and therefore I found the performance.. marginal. Even your Ranger's aren't really what you would call "fast" but you could live with them

- Resale and long term build quality. My dads 2010 Ranger XLT, purchased new, was robust and well built, even when he traded it in 2018. The current GWM are still too new at the moment to know for sure..

Is a Ranger Wildtrack (or equivelant competitor) $20+k better? That's something that only the individual buyer can say, at the time they are looking to purchase. How many of them offer 7 year unlimited KM warranty, 5 years capped price servicing and 5 year roadside assistance?

Me personally? I'd buy the Biturbo Ranger Wildtrack everytime.... I have the budget to be able to afford that, easily and couldn't live with the lack of performance; not everyone is in the same boat though...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2021, 11:38 AM   #30
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I think there is a little confusion on the model and trim name.

On the radio it's advertised as a "Ute Cannon".

I thought it was a dodgy translation from a Chinese script where words could be said backwards like in many languages.

Then I watched a drive video where they say the same thing, and introduce it as a Ute Cannon.

I made a comment on the clip and a rep from drive replied agreeing with me that the name is somewhat confusing.

Much like saying I drive a Toyota Ute Hilux.

Its happened before, didn't one of the other Chinese (or Indian??) Brands actually called their Ute a "Pick-up" for its model name.

Looking at the GWM site it seems to confirm that the name of the model is Ute and Cannon is a trim specification.

Confusing..... are there any other brands that actually call their model the generic name for the segment of vehicles??

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post