View Single Post
Old 25-04-2024, 09:35 AM   #9
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: 2009 MB Diesel just stalled and won’t start

Being 2009 I think it’s a DW10 type motor.

They have a problem for the unfamiliar with the link chain (timing the exhaust cam off the belt driven intake cam) being hydraulically tensioned - with no oil pressure, if you wind the motor backwards it can mistime the exhaust cam.

For correct timing belt replacement you need to pin the flywheel and inlet cam, plus physically lock the ring gear with a suitable gripper to allow the correct torque to be reached when re-tightening the crank sprocket. The flywheel pin alone is only five or six mm and will shear.

One really good thing about the design of these motors as I touched on before, is the rocker arms are like fuses, they fail as protection. A belt failure will almost always result in rocker arm carnage, but no broken cams or cam caps or flatted big-ends. Sump off to remove the shrapnel, clean up and replace the rockers, time the link chain correctly, reseal the motor and fit a new belt.

Hydraulicking is a different fault and one I’ve not seen personally. Gut feeling says the crank and head would survive, with biggest risk to be bore damage.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: