View Single Post
Old 14-04-2024, 04:01 PM   #84
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Favorite Car Reviews

Not necessarily a review, rather a retrospective.

This was filmed in 2018, two years after production ended so its interesting to hear Justin talk post development.

The good old Falcon seating position complaint was explained from the point that the steering column moved for the FG program, and a fixed hard point being the crash support beam that prohibited the column from moving sufficiently high enough. To change that beam would have been cost prohibitive, mainly from crash testing point of view.

The Bosch test engineers in Germany finding a slight calibration issue with the wide open upshifts in 5th gear....................something that would mean 240+ kph on a car with a speed limited set at 230 kph. Apparently, the Germans coded out the speed limiter and were running along the Autobahn in a right-hand drive "white XR6 police car" setting land speed records. I highly doubt a Sprint customer will ever discover that improvement in the full throttle 5th gear upshift. I love it!

The XR6 Sprint's carbon fiber intake ironically ended up being the cheapest solution to a problem they found in development. For short runs, the carbon fiber intake was cheaper than tooling up for a regular plastic part.

The above insider information is something I miss from having a local car industry. The Mustang has had a similar long running history like the Falcon did, and when you listen to engineers who work on the Mustang program talk you can see the pride in working on an icon. But it's just not the same. While the Mustang eventually became a better car than the Falcon, for a loooong time that wasn't necessarily the case and the Falcon punched well above its development budget would suggest.

Oh how I wish I could go down and order a new Falcon right now. Waiting two years for a Mustang sucks and makes the one month I waited for my FG seem like a blink of the eye. We have lost so much.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote
5 users like this post: