View Single Post
Old 24-04-2024, 05:24 PM   #5
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Help me ford mondeo

Hi Becky,

First thing, please don't take offence when you don't get an immediate reply to an answer. I appreciate that you might be without a car at present. However, most member here do work full time, so they wouldn't have even had a chance yet to look at the forums today.

Second thing, the Mondeo wasn't sold in large numbers here in Australia. So, the number of people who have had hands on experience with them is a lot smaller that in, say, UK.

A couple of thoughts about your problem.

I am assuming that the car is well out of warrantee? Some basic details like model, age, and kilometres travelled would help with generating an answer.

A Ford Dealer will diagnose and repair a car using genuine (new) Ford components, following the Ford repair process, and back to Ford factory specifications. This can be very expensive, and there may be other options.

A quick hunt of the internet suggests that the EGR valve is a common enough problem, across all makes of diesel engines. Far be it for me to suggest to do an engine modification that interferes with the factory installed emissions equipment ... however, in researching for a response to your question, I noticed a number of posts (in other internet forums) that have simply removed the EGR valve and replaced with a blanking plate. (Google "EGR delete").

As Dr Terry has suggested, it would be worth your time and money to get a second (and perhaps a third) opinion from another diesel mechanic. If possible, speak directly to the mechanic who is looking at your car.

When asking for a quote, stress that funds are very tight and you are looking for a low cost solution. This might include fitting a second hand EGR valve, a aftermarket EGR valve, or going through the EGR delete process. I would even go as far as asking the mechanic for their thoughts on an EGR delete or an after market EGR valve as a cheaper solution.

The last point that I would like to make concerns your comment about being on the the spectrum. I speak as a father who's eldest daughter is well and truly on the spectrum and is high functioning. So ... please don't take what I say next the wrong way. (I am trusting you to be able to read and understand my sincerity and concern.) When you go to any car repairer (be that a Ford Dealer or another mechanic), I would strongly suggest that you take along a companion. Preferably male, the older the better. Be that a male family member or a trusted friend. You can still do the talking and negotiating. All your companion has to do is to be in the conversation, but not say much. Their job is to just watch, listen, and help you compare notes after the discussion.

Often, the just the presence of an independent observer will reduce the possibility of you being taken advantage of.

Hopefully, the above might give you some ideas on a way forward.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
15 users like this post: