View Single Post
Old 23-03-2024, 07:17 PM   #15
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The VF Commodore at 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
How come you ended up changing the screen, did the original fail?
My preference is to keep it looking stock.
One thing that appear to be an issue going forward (like all modern Aus cars) is parts availability. Already reading prices for Series 2 SV6/SS front bumpers are through the roof, if they can be sourced in the first place.
There were a heap of VFs sold, I think their last year they pumped out over 30,000 of them, but that doesn’t stop the ferals wrecking them and sending them for scrap.
The main reason was that when I took the factory Bose system out to replace it with the aftermarket one (and I do mean ALL the factory stuff) it never really vibed with Mylink very well for some reason so I was having issues which I wouldnt have with the replacement unit. It certainly larger but in person it does actually fit pretty well for its size and carplay/android auto is now wireless. Ive got all the factory stuff show up (reverse camera, front and rear sensors, climate control, etc) on the new screen as well. A nice bonus is it plugs into the car and you can have guages showing all sorts of different things which is cool (IMHO at least...)

I still have the complete Bose system as well as the original screen and surrounds packed away in the shed in case I sell (no plans) and/or I want to change it back.

As for parts, it is something that could be of concern down the track. There is a local place on the Gold Coast who specializes in them, buys written off ones and harvests useable parts to on sell, he's got pretty much everything. Though not an unlimited supply. The dealer I bought it from still has a Holden Parts guy (its the same dealer I bought 2 other cars from so Im still in there for servicing of those) and he reckons theres a huge stockpile of most things, but its all kept in Melbourne and not in dealer stock like others so whatever is needed would take a day or 2 to get here.. I havent really needed any parts so far so, wait and see I guess..

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote