View Single Post
Old 28-03-2024, 10:45 PM   #12
Trendseeker

Default Re: Baltimore Bridge Collapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
I have an unnatural fear of being in a car that is sinking to deep depth, not sure why but likely due to various scenes in movies I am guessing.

My phobia is that great it has got to the point where, before I drive over either of the 2 bridges over the Port River, I will wind down my window no matter what the weather so that I can make a quick exit before car sank too far if necessary. I'd hate to be ****ing around in a panic trying to smash a window with the stem of headrest or similar due to the electrics having shorted, and then not getting out at all or not getting out until I was at a depth where it was dark and I had no idea of what was up or down with possibly too far to get to surface on a held breath.

No, have not invested in a glass breaker as I hope to be halfway out the already open window when car hits the water, not fumbling around trying to reach a tool in glovebox or console that may have moved through the impact
That reminds me of an accident several years ago where a car plunged into Cooks River near Sydney Airport.

The driver had just picked up a new boat from Taren Point and was towing it home. As he approached the bridge at Cooks River on General Holmes Drive he was distracted and then had to brake suddenly when the car in front slowed.

Rather than taking the collision, he swerved to the left where there is a side street that runs along the grassy area at the side of the river. There was only the footpath and a small log fence between the side road and the grass, which runs down a steep slope to the river. He went straight through the fence, down the slope, off the breakwall and into the river.

You can read the newspaper story here.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/no-e...26-gdsnp7.html

Back then, I drove that road to work every day and saw the spot where it happened and was surprised that they mended the small fence but didn’t put a proper barrier there to prevent another similar accident. It would be almost impossible to stop your car going into the river if you went over the path and down the slope.

Another tragic and forgotten accident.