View Single Post
Old 06-11-2023, 06:49 PM   #56
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Favorite Car Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I wrote this thread back in 2020, with a focus the trend of over-designing in an attempt to garner attention. Sadly, that trend is at the expense of classic proportions and subtle beauty.

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showth...ghlight=design

"With car companies focused on the demand for SUV’s, sales of sedans have plummeted over the last decade. With that, of manufacturers that have continued to make sedans, they have tried to style them in a way to grab the attention of the buyers and perhaps distract them from the pumped-up SUV on the other side of the showroom.

Some car companies have been successful to a degree at injecting style into an otherwise boring vehicle. Mercedes Benz hit the bullseye on the original CLS but in an attempt to keep it fresh, they over-designed it. And its the over designing of cars, and sedans in this case, that bugs me. Some cars have so many body lines and creases that they look like they have been in a fender bender".
Ah yes, good thread.
Not really on topic but since I did mention 2000s interiors, I think the high end B series dash in Fairmont onwards (option on FPV and XRs I think) and Territory Ghia is one of the cleanest designs for that era and still look good today.
They definitely aged better than most of the Euro stuff that did as you say and over designed to attract attention. W211 Mercedes interior is probably the better Euro for that era, like the B series not OTT. Although quality is nowhere near the pre millennial cars.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote