Thread: VFacts Feb 2024
View Single Post
Old 13-03-2024, 05:30 PM   #36
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: VFacts Feb 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Thanks Franco it looks like they will be OK. If Bronco is on same platform (or Bronco Sport?) just bring that here and go square and American (build it in Thailand if you want) and bring the hybrid, Ford will have sales across the range a bit more.

I do wonder if hybrid will even be enough though, as I checked current RAV4 hybrid with its sub 5L/100km and it will not pass the CO2 level requirements by 2029.
LPG hybrid, or E85 hybrid

Quote:
Opinion: I drive arguably the greenest car in the country – but it’s not what you think

And though I'm lucky enough to own a variety of different cars, I tell people my daily driver is the greenest car in Australia – a Ford Territory Turbo Ghia on gas.

While it is said with my tongue firmly in my cheek, I chose this car for a number of reasons – one of which is that it has a relatively small carbon footprint out of the box when compared to most brand-new cars, including the electric variety.

The Territory and its iconic turbo Barra engine were manufactured within a couple of hours of where I am now, and my hope is that my response sparks a conversation about a car's impact on the planet – beyond the single metric of tailpipe emissions.

One of the reasons I also chose this particular Territory was because it's dual-fuel – fitted with an injected liquified petroleum gas (LPG) system, significantly reducing running costs, as well as having the benefit of delivering higher-octane fuel while also lowering tailpipe emissions.

And before the comments section kicks off about how LPG is less efficient than petrol – yes, it's true – but conservative calculations show mine uses 20 per cent more gas than unleaded. Purely from a cost-saving basis, I can live with that, given the price of LPG is typically $1 per litre less than petrol.

Then there's the fact that the majority of LPG is sourced from Australia. Not shipped from the Middle East and refined in Singapore on ships running on 'heavy fuel oil' – a horrendously bad product for the environment, chosen for its cheapness – as is the case with petrol and diesel.

My car may be an SUV with a turbocharged 4.0-litre six-cylinder engine, but it was made in Victoria and runs on a byproduct of natural gas, sourced from New South Wales, which burns more cleanly than petrol, and releases fewer particulates into the atmosphere.

For every litre of petrol burned, it puts out 2.3kg of CO2, while LPG produces only 1.5kg for the same amount, and emits up to 63 per cent less nitrogen oxide (NOx) – and even less compared to diesel.
https://www.drive.com.au/caradvice/l...e-environment/

Quote:
What Is the Carbon Footprint of E85?

The carbon footprint E85 is 53.3 grams (g) of carbon dioxide-equivilant greenhouse gases per megajoules (MJ) per energy, according to an analysis by the Renewable Fuels Association. That’s 46% lower than the 98.5 g/mj produced by regular gasoline, the analysis found.

E85 has a smaller carbon footprint than regular gasoline when its entire life cycle, including how and where it is produced, is factored into the equation.

Unlike gasoline, which often comes from foreign oil that must be shipped to the United States, ethanol is a domestic product made from corn or other biological material grown here in the United States.

Additionally, ethanol is a renewable resource – unlike oil, which is a finite resource, the corn used to make ethanol is grown year after year.
Is E85 Dirtier Than Regular Gas?

E85 burns cleaner than regular gasoline and has a smaller overall carbon footprint than non-ethanol fuel blends. It produces fewer emissions, which results in cleaner air. At the same time, it has the added benefit of providing more torque and horsepower than regular gasoline.
Is E85 Better for the Environment?

E85 is better for the environment than non-ethanol fuel blends. That’s because it has a smaller overall carbon footprint and burns cleaner than traditional gasoline, and the ethanol it contains is a domestically produced renewable resource made from corn or other biological materials.

According to the Renewable Fuels Association, ethanol results in reduced tailpipe emissions of carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons, the carcinogen benzene and fine particulates that irritate the lungs.

In addition, ethanol has the side benefit of producing useful byproducts like distillers’ grains that can be used as a high-protein feed for cattle.
https://nebraskacorn.gov/cornstalk/f...e-environment/

Who here remembers in 1985 when suddenly legislation was introduced that we couldn't make cars run on leaded fuel anymore and they all had to be unleaded from that date forward? I don't because I wasn't born yet you old bastards

Maybe from 2029 onwards, no more unleaded, everything becomes E85 and then existing fleet is retrofitted like they did with leaded fuel cars.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 13-03-2024 at 05:53 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: