View Single Post
Old 21-08-2016, 07:41 PM   #109
Claytopia

Default Re: Claytopia's XB GT Coupe restoration

That cursed left hand side...

I guess if I refuse to be a passenger (yeah like I'm going to be letting others drive it anyway) and I could always park along walls and the like so that I would never have to see the left hand side and live in the same bubble of ignorant bliss that Holden fans exist it (oh yeah shots fired). I could do all that and just ignore the mess that is the left hand side of my car...
But I am doing this whole project with two motto's in mind.

1. Do it once and do it well. ( I don't want to redo it again in a few years)
and
2. Every compromise comes easier than the previous, so no compromise.

Sure its hard, especially when it comes to finding those hard to get parts (parchment trim anyone!) but I haven't hit any roadblocks... yet.

So the sill on the... you guess it, left hand sill came off, and while the inner sill wasn't that bad it also wasn't great.
It had the ususal surface rust, rust holes and its fair share of damage from kerbs, pot holes that rabbit back in '98 and god only know what else.

So the decision was made to cut out the rusty sections and weld in new steel and straighten out the bottom edge as it wasn't necessary to to replace the the whole inner panel.

Also while the access was there the inside of the A pillar was blasted and painted with epoxy.

Then the sill was dummied up into place and alignment was checked before any welding took place... HA HA took place yeah right like ti would be that straight forward!

I don't know if I mentioned it (and I can't be bothered checking) that the left hand quarter panel has been replaced. Well as some of you will know the quarter panel goes under the roof skin... Well at least it does in the factory.

When your getting the meh it's only and XB GT who give a flying flock repair done in the 80's they stick the quarter over the top of the roof, and then mash the heck out of the rear mounts to make it all work.

So of course the quarter had over a 10mm gap at the sill which had been skillfully concealed with the use of fillers. Well not this time pal so as they say in for a penny in for a pound. You'll see that that's all about in the next post.

Anyway here are the inner sill repair pics, Enjoy.

Check out that damage

Check out that quality welding (you know bad's a quality too!)

It's a bit hard to see but you can make out how much the gap between the sill and the quarter are out of alignment.

Claytopia is offline   Reply With Quote
7 users like this post: