View Single Post
Old 25-02-2021, 10:19 PM   #325
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

A while ago when looking at purchasing a Steam Cleaner, after watching heaps of Detailers on YouTube from the USA they all seemed to gravitate towards the McCulloch brand of cleaner.

Big problem is that I couldn't find anyone selling them or a rebadged version here. You also can't order from the USA as they are 110V.
Tried Alibaba and went through pages and pages trying to find who made them thinking you could get a 240v one as a sample or such, but to no avail. Dead End.

You are then left with the usual range of no name options by the dozen, from Kogan and Ebay ect that all have high specs but you are left with the same problem of no accessories and no support for most.

Enter you know what store and you know what brand.
As usual you have to buy to budget so I picked up the 3rd model up SC3.
Which yes I would say is over priced as stated in the last post.

The SC3 differs to most as it is a non pressurised cleaner, meaning you can tip water in any time you want when it runs low. The other type you have to put water in, tighten a cap and wait for it to heat and pressure up. If you add water it is a more lengthy process, waiting for it all to unpressure & pressure up again.

So yes it is fairly fast and you are up making steam in a minute or so of starting. I would rate the steam produced as about what you would expect form this level kind of machine. They are the same as pressure washers as in the more you pay the more pressure / volume you get.

Lets get the cons out of the way 1st.

Yes you may run the risk of becoming a germaphobe and will want to sterilize and clean everything. It is sort of like the fun you have with a pressure washer but with steam.

It is dinky. The pressure hose is too short and you do not have the freedom that I outlined with the Vacuum Accessory. You have to be careful or you can tip it over and spill water everywhere if not paying attention. An extra 50cm would make a big difference. Why is Karcher stingy for the price you pay.

You can add water when ever you want but as it is a consumer grade machine. You can't run the thing for hours on end and should have rest periods. I would suggest 2 fills per session max, which gives you ample time to do most jobs.

Not just this machine, but most in general. Seems a lot of people don't understand when you read complaints in negative reviews.
If you place it down for a minute or two and go to use it, it will spit out some water from the condensation that builds in the hose. It is easy to develop a technique of squirting it into a bucket or something before the steam comes. It is the nature of steam cleaners.

Yes the handle gets hot. Maybe it is the steam at 100 degrees celcius passing through a plastic handle. Just have to mention as it is a complaint in reviews.

With the purpose of Car Detailing you have to be careful and not use on blinker stalks and printed buttons as it will remove the white lettering. Also not on instrument clusters and the like as you will get condensation inside.

Pros

For Car Detailing excellent for Sticky Stuff from Cup Holders / Centre Consoles, Door Cards, Foot Pedals, Seats, Carpets, Air Vents, Seat Belts, Engine Bay and more.
You will just need the Steamer, Microfibre Cloth, Detailer Brush and APC to do most things. Just don't burn your Cloth Hand.

House , yes to everything. Kill all the germs, clean everything. Only thing I found it disappointing on was the Oven Glass.
It depends on how crazy you go with your new found friend as you find many things in every room.
Does work well in cleaning showers and shower glass, and for some strange reason you have to experience a freshly steamed cleaned toilet seat. Don't judge me until you try.

Did I say Accessories, you will want them all, small nylon and copper brushes, jet nozzles, larger brush nozzles and many more.

In finding these photos I have found more accessories....make it stop...

Summary - For Professional Detailing Use - No
For Weekend Household Use - Yes - taking into account the Cons listed above.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote
6 users like this post: