Thread: Tyres Upgrade
View Single Post
Old 18-01-2024, 11:18 AM   #20
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Tyres Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
My FG sedan is on its third set of Bridgestone RE003's I'm getting 50-60k kms out of them with regular pressure checks and rotation. They see a bit of time on unsealed roads, pea gravel and quite abrasive limestone.
Only downside is that they are a little noisy.
IMO not a fan of the Michelins I've used in the past, my experience was that they went off and started to loose performance in the second half of their life. The Bridgestones hang on to the bitter end and get changed due to being worn out not going off.
I found 100% the opposite. RE003s were my go-to - 4 for the price of 3, could not go wrong. Have gone through 5 sets across 3 cars, I found every set on every car to lose performance very noticeably when they got to about 40% tread left - not just in the wet, but dry too - and very noticeable, not gradual.

I've now gone through a set of Michelin PS4 on my car, literally now on the wear bars, and about to replace them with another set of PS4 but might see what PS5 is like. Wife's car has a set of RE003 with easily 25% tread left, but we're replacing them with PS4 or PS5 because RE003 with 25% tread left is almost like being on the wear bars.

Don't get me wrong, I love the RE003 for that first 60%, and always get a good deal on them too, but the PS4 has same grip/performance as RE003 and in my experience does not 'go-off' like the RE003 do. Granted I have only been through one set of Michelins.

One thing the RE003 has over the PS4 is a harder sidewall, which depending on your tastes is either a pro or a con.
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: