View Single Post
Old 28-03-2024, 03:09 PM   #504
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Default Re: Good value second hand cars - COVID times, Falcon/Commodore tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Does that apply to Guilietta though
They built that car and the 1.4 for a very very long time surely they ironed and fixed the issues as time went on
So far so good. This is what I have been able to reliably find out from 3 experts who all agree:

Giulietta has COMMON FAULTS AND FIXES
Oil leak
When you take off engine cover sometimes you can see a oil leak from PCV
There is an O-ring that plays up sometimes
Vlad his own one which is a fit and forget type

Electrical
Boot button might not work and lights play up
If odometer STARTS FLASHING you have three days to disconnect battery
Sometimes on the early cars, the wiring loom on the hatch breaks and needs to be replaced
Vlad has a replacement which ha says is much better

COOLANT TANK
Replace every 4 years when timing belt is done
Replace return line to coolant tank st same time. 10mm heater hose

GENERAL
To adjust the clock or the headlights the buttons are on the right hand side of the steering wheel

If the tyre pressure monitoring system alarm comes up pump up your tyres and reset the system on the special button to the right of the radio

My car is fitted with one of those stupid start stop mechanisms that makes engine stop at the lights

There is a little button in front of the gearstick. It is the one on the right. Sometimes the warning light comes up on the dash because the stop button isn’t working.. that’s probably because I turned it off because it’s stupid and I want Air Conditioning running BECAUSE Queensland.

Turn the engine off at lights or when you stop and hold your finger on that button and then start the engine and it generally goes away first time. But sometimes it takes more than once I’m not quite sure why maybe I’m not doing it right

I’m still working it out.

Doorhandles
The first one to go will be the drivers door handle. Angelo says it’s because Australians are too rough with it. You can buy replacement doorhandles about 20 bucks on eBay, but I think I would buy one from Vlad if I was going to get one. Mine os OK @ 115klms

The other option is Alfa Romeo will very kindly sell you a whole complete door card replacement for about 400 bucks - no thanks.

That’s about all that goes wrong apparently. The rest of the car seems bullet-proof, especially the motor which is very strong.

There are also Diesel variants but I think they are Automatics and from what I can gather they often have too much torque for the Automatic and burnout the clutch

The 1.4 petrol turbo has plenty of torque is a beautiful engine to drive

That’s about it so far

I love it. Talk about fun bang for the buck. These were $40k new.

Steve
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: