View Single Post
Old 08-07-2023, 06:04 PM   #192
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Century Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
If a battery did give up before say 3 year warranty, it would not be a new battery for nothing ? but to do with how many months old it is pro-rata ?

Many people think that the new car warranty like 10 years is nothing to pay if something needs doing. like a clutch or auto has to be reconditioned i am sure one does not get a new auto trans, if anything just set to last out the warranty.
Engine well i have seen a Holden red 6 cyl that was Holden reco that had 2 cyl bored out 60 tho number 3 and 4 cyl the rest were stock pistons.

A mate up the road claims No ! it will all be brand new parts he demands ! and nothing to pay at all ! what BS i said. you really believe 10 year warranty is open like that.

After saying that i know 2 mates who are lucky to get 2 years out of any car battery they have ever had, that's 40 years with every car they owned, why ? i think it's because they jump in and drive flat out from cold ? maybe battery do not like that ?

I have had cars that had radio on all day on the job site and no problems with good lasting for years.
Its supposed to be new for old within the warranty period of the battery, to test it you're supposed to charge it up overnight on a charger then test the battery.

I used the carbon pile load tester as it simulates the load of the starter motor on the battery, I never used the electronic job because if you compare side by side, the electronic one was always optimistic on its results compared to the carbon pile tester.

https://www.projecta.com.au/products...on-pile-tester

Warranty covers manufacturing defect, not wear and tear, if you have a 7 year warranty on your new Kia and the alternator craps out because its worn brushes down, one suspects you'll be pushing **** up hill to get that covered under warranty as it wasn't a manufacture defect.

OEM battery in my Focus lasted 12 months, before it dropped cells, then its replacements it would kill them every 12-18 months afterwards with the exact same problem which I suspect was a problem with the car and not the battery though.

I cracked the ****s with it and put in a bigger battery and then it went close to 5 years.

I reckon its due to the electronics in modern cars these days, my Mazda Bravo ute had an 11 year old Supercharge Silver in it when I got it from its previous owner.

The only reason I replaced it was I thought that was pushing the friendship a bit too much, it still started the car fine.

Given the only electronics it has is basic EFI, lights and the AC compressor clutch I'd say the longevity of batteries here is due to the environment that battery is dealing with. Plus its unleaded and not diesel so it doesn't have a super rattly environment with lots of vibration.

My Focus, you don't drive it for two weeks and it won't start.

My cars also generally do highway drives rather than short trips, so its an ideal environment for them as well.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 08-07-2023 at 06:28 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: