View Single Post
Old 04-03-2024, 12:19 AM   #25
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Re-Driven's Used Territory homage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
We recently bought an SZ RWD 4.0L to replace the Wifes Outlander that proved to be a lemon. We live on the fringes of suburbia and she works less than 5 minutes from home so we dont really notice the cost of running it in stop start traffic but we're currently away in Barmera for the week and used the SZ to tow our Waverunner.
I asked her how it went and compares to the Outlander.
The response, she loves it, felt solid on the road and didnt notice the ski behind her.
Agree on the towing, we used ours to tow a 1600kg van around Australia with the kids, it was like the van wasn't there. On the climbs around Cradle Mountain it was able to accelerate well with van in tow, which was great! Our former HJ60 was so sluggish towing that it strained the theory of relativity and time seemed itself to slow.

fwiw, the HJ60 diesel was 10.5hwy and 12.5 towing for us.
The Territory petrol was 10.5 highway and about 13.5 towing.
We were able to match the factory 11.2 combined when new (live out of town so a bit of highway in most trips). These days, lots of short runs to local shops, it's about 14.5, still does 10s on the highway.

Edit: Apart from getting all the bushes done, our motor is still unopened, all anciliaries still in place (though ac unit has started clunk intermittently on engagement). New transmission last year at 323,000 on original ZF. One more thing - replace the ZF fluid every 70,000 or so, some say less. We replaced the tyres every 80,000. Rust has got it, being a coastal car but I'm not too worried by that at present. About 340,000 now and still so solid on the highway and gravel and snow with the AWD.

And that's the part that's so damn hard to replace these days, a decent full-time-all-the-time AWD system (no declutching!) in a SUV that handles well.

Last edited by Sprintey; 04-03-2024 at 12:28 AM.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote
5 users like this post: