View Single Post
Old 02-03-2024, 12:39 PM   #5
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Re-Driven's Used Territory homage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
And now for some more auto nostalgia

A long time has now passed since the Territory ceased in 2016, how have they held up, and how do people regard them?

I had two Territory on company user-chooses vehicles. An SY AWD and an SZ RWD diesel. Despite issues with the front ball joints, I think that the SY AWD was the nicer car to drive. I was not a fan of the move from hydraulic steering to EPAS, which was a backward step for driver engagement and feel. As for the engines, there was a lot of clamour at the time for the diesel for towing duties. But, I could never see the financial payback given the longer term cost and complexity. (My fleet manager made me get the diesel to meet company green policy.) I disliked the engine. Especially the turbo lag from a dead stop. I think the pick of the litter is the SY Series II AWD.

But, to be honest, when it came time to buy one for myself, I got a CX-5 instead. I was looking for a new car at the end of 2017 and chased around to find one of the last remaining 'new' Territory still in stock. It was petrol RWD. I took it for a drive and felt there was something funny/different about the steering from memory - but I couldn't pick out exactly what (different tyres, wheel alignment out, shrug). I also had a peek under the rear door seal, and there were tiny spots of rust under the door seal on a 'new' car that had been sitting in the yard for 12 months. Sigh, that killed it. For around the same price, I could get a CX-5 AWD Maxx 2.5L with dealer fitted mags and navigation. More safety kit on the CX-5 and it was far easier for the Missus to drive. Looking at the two cars from 2016, one would have to say that the CX-5 has held up far better than the Territory every would.

Occasionally, I get the itch to hunt down a Territory SY Series II Turbo AWD. And spend some money on getting the consumables (bushings, etc) back to spec. Series II Turbos are as rare as rocking horse droppings these days. And then I wake up and stop day dreaming.
whynot is online now   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: