View Single Post
Old 12-02-2024, 08:08 PM   #87
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: Australian fuel efficiency standards aimed at cutting petrol bills, 'catching up' with US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
It actually included a discussion on how the EV market and used market is going there, tried to explain private buyer reluctance, noted the influence of depreciation and insurance on used prices, noted the view of the trade on used EVs - and then at the end posted suggestions on how to overcome this and increase EV takeup.

It concluded to do this similar efficiency standards would be needed as done before by legislation on diesel and petrol, these efficiency standards being standardised electricity consumption data (it noted Tesla as most efficient); and it pointed out legislation and business claims have led to the development of many expensive, performance EVs which are different to the simple, smaller and affordable a private used market wants - hence not many bids, hence horror depreciation.

One other good point was that in future, for the trade and wholesalers/used dealers to be happy to take EVs as stock, displaying their battery health using a standardised method, clearly on the vehicles at the yard will be a prerequisite to overcome used buyer reluctance.

There was a lot more to it than the new, diesel RRS.
But in Australia, EV resale (on anything except the i Pace) is great. That we don't have conditions that make EVs drop range and have huge amounts of solar (at home too) to power them.

The resale of my EVs are still very strong locally. There is no reluctance of private buyers. The only ones reluctant and those who either don't understand technology, don't buy new or don't want things to change. Anyone with even a modestly open view to the world will see they have their place and are great at what transport issues they address.

UK have a problem in that most of the insurance companies have been found to be bank rolled by big oil and are pushing EV premiums up to get people out of them. We don't have that issue here.

I agree with him that you'd be crazy to buy the EV Range Rover at the premium they want. You'd also be crazy to entertain that the iPace was a good idea and buying any Range Rover is a good decision given how poor their reliability is.

Euros problems aren't ours.

Misinformation is why people hesitate. First it was they last only 50,000 kms. When I hit that they said, wait till you get to 100,000. Then it was 150,000...
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote