View Single Post
Old 28-02-2024, 12:22 PM   #128
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australian fuel efficiency standards aimed at cutting petrol bills, 'catching up' with US

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Also shows how much of a head start Tesla has and how far ahead they continue to be.
Yup, I agree. Tesla went through a world of hurt to get their EV process working at its present efficiency. Others thought it would be relatively easy to copy (aka the second mover's advantage). Not so.

Getting back to the ALP's changes to Australian fuel efficiency standards ... I think that there is a fine line between gently nudging the market / supply chain in certain directions and exceeding the capability of either to absorb the change. A bit like driving on snow and ice, gentle little nudges can achieve far more progress than excessive inputs. To me, this change reeks of an unnecessary regulation, too much too soon.

Sure, it is a political exercise and since the ALP - with support of the Greens - have the numbers in parliament, they can make whatever changes they like. That is the way it works in our democracy. But the ALP shouldn't complain or whinge if the electorate turns and bites back, hard.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
6 users like this post: