View Single Post
Old 22-01-2024, 09:55 AM   #442
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Good value second hand cars - COVID times, Falcon/Commodore tax

It's interesting to reflect on 'value'. As different to 'price'. Price can be traded; value is sought. What is deemed to be value will be subjective, and change over time even within an individual.

Stuff I like (or like the idea of) that I reckon is value at present: some of the Jag XEs, the F-Pace is getting there. Late model Territories. Will 'price' go down further after I buy one? You betcha. Common garden variety I like and see not quite being as good value might include the VF Calais at present.

Maybe also some 2000s FPVs - will price go down after I buy one? Yep, but sometime after this it should begin appreciating in price, like my ED did. Was there value in owning this one through it's final bit down in the depreciation curve during the GFC, yep! It was so much fun...

New car market I'm finding very difficult to see 'value' given what I would pay for new. All time winner new purchase would have had to be the $12K Astra when Holden were going bust. Or any of the last Aussie performance, what was a FGX Sprint? 55K retail?

Must be getting older, I can see the value in not purchasing a toy or runaround, in the idea that there's less moving parts to be responsible for and the opportunity cost and what the $ could otherwise do.