View Single Post
Old 19-01-2024, 07:13 PM   #7
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: So like me you thought it was OK to plug a 10amp device into a 15amp outlet.

Quote:
So it really just requires the reverse of ye olde “15 into 10” short extension lead.
But prefaced by the words "equally illegal and likely nearly as dangerous..."

Having known several people and knowing of other people that have been fatally electrocuted i have a more than healthy respect for electricity. But I also accept a professional electrical may not always be the answer noting:

a) There was an article and ongoing discussion over some months in Electronics Australia magazine about the issue some years ago noting the in those countries (or some States in some countries like USA) that either allowed home owners to do their own wiring or had schemes that gave limited licences after training to home owners the rate (not just the number) of electrocution accidents was lower in the home owner amateur electricians than in professional electricians;
b) many of the recorded mortalities from electrocution involve professional electricians or their apprentices working on live wires where their co-worker or boss has tuned the power back on or they had been through the routine so many times the though they had turned power off at the main switchboard but had not (and similar "familiarity builds contempt issues");
c) when I checked the power points in my then newly built home in the early eighties with a simple three LED Clipsal tester, I found that my than half my power points were not earthed as the electrician or whoever he had install them had not stripped any insulation off the earth wire and had seemingly wrongly assumed that screwing down the earth terminal scree hard would piece the wire but this had not happened; I do wonder how many other homes built by what was then WA's largest home builder still have such faulty unearthed sockets in them; and
d) the electrician that installed the 15 amp outlets in my shed had his wife call me back a few days later to see if he had reinstalled the screws holding the board onto the wall; he had not screwed the board in again but at least he had a sudden subconscious reminder though I wonder how often similar things happen that aren't remembered at all.

Last edited by aussiblue; 19-01-2024 at 07:35 PM.
aussiblue is online now   Reply With Quote