Thread: Mowing ..
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2024, 06:43 PM   #2696
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice
I'm a bit anxious about mowing the lawn tomorrow.

Melbs weather has been so inconsistent that anytime I've had the time to mow, the weather hasn't accommodated.

It looks like tomorrow for my RDO I should be right to go, but gee it's long!

Picture probably doesn't do it great justice, but I'd estimate current length to be about 10cm or so

What is the best way to attack it.. still with a catcher on highest ride? Or go without catcher and clean it up next week?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’m self taught, so others with professional training might have better ways. But I’d start by pushing the mower ahead slightly, pulling back, rinse and repeat until you’ve got one “strip” mowed clear.

Then mow no more than half a stripe each pass.
How did you get on PJ?

As mentioned, you need to take it down in steps. It will still be hard on you and the machine, but it's the only way to knock down that sort of growth. You may also take to it with you line trimmer first, slashing down the worst of it to make it easier on the machine. I basically have to do that with some of my fortnightly clients who have a yard full of Kikuyu.

If it were me, I'd be using a two-stroke mower on the highest setting, taking half width passes if necessary. Then lower down to the desired level and making another set of passes. If needed, I would have slashed down the really high spots, usually around the sprinklers.

Also, resist the temptation to completely butcher it. While it certainly makes the grass lower initially, the natural response from there is for the grass to grow like mad, flight or fight sort of thing. So, take it down to a manageable level, then next mow, take it down another notch.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: