View Single Post
Old 16-12-2023, 07:46 PM   #26
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: ANCAP is a waste of time

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
I think half of the problem is cars are structurally as strong as they will ever be, it’s a known science.
I don't think that is entirely the case.

Ford proved they could run a BF or FG into a brick wall at 108 or 118kim/h (I can't remember which one) and the passenger compartment would stay intact, the occupants survive unharmed and all 4 doors could be opened.

Whereas the required speed for a pass in this type of crash is 56km/h.

I think cars are as structurally as strong as the accountants and RRP will allow them to be and they don't explore much past that... Because there is no need to explore past that. If there was, companies would be crowing about it.

Now the focus is to make lazy drivers even lazier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
But in a world where continuous improvement is expected, authorities focus on the granular. Car A has AEB that detects pedestrians-PASS.
The same car with AEB that doesn’t is a FAIL. It doesn’t tell the truth about the whole safety of the vehicle.
Which is what I wrote above in another post. The results are skewed because of some ideology that electronic aids make a car safer.

Personally I think things like radar cruise control and AEB are an abomination and should be banned. These features in a Corolla almost conspired me to cause a major pileup in a 110km/h zone once. Car thought it was smarter than I was.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: