View Single Post
Old 13-12-2023, 06:39 PM   #84
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: DFB's Image Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Given what people are saying it feels like they dulled it off heaps by an obsession to get it spinning slower on the highway.

Makes you wonder if they left it 2.73 or went shorter to 3.08 or something to give it a lot more pep with a slight sacrifice of fuel economy.

There's a lot of people saying these things are turds because how slow they are.
I think the main reason for the taller diff ratios for the Barra 230 was the truncated rev limit of that particular engine. The earlier Barra 220 hit the limiter at 5250 rpm, the 230 was raised to 5500 rpm. (Although, that could have been the "transient" rev limiter that was brough along with the ZF, as other models with that gearbox picked up an effective 250rpm increase. For example, under full throttle, the engine and gearbox would hit 6250 before the next gear arrived on a Barra I6 or Boss engine.) With the much shorter gears of the ZF, it would have been constantly changing gears and wouldn't have made good use of that huge low-end torque. With the 220, that ultra tall gears of the BTR went the other way with the shorter 3.23 ratio working fine.

I love this stuff by the way.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: