View Single Post
Old 10-12-2023, 10:22 PM   #64
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: DFB's Image Collection

The XR8 on the other hand wasn’t all that well received, buy the press and buyers……………..at least for the sedan as the XR8 Ute remained very popular. The XR8 boasted a 260 kW version of the new DOHC Boss V8 that was hand assembled across the road at FPV. Much has been said about the constrained power band and lack of low-down grunt, it was also a very big and heavy engine. Ford actually had to put shiny tape on the rocker covers so it didn’t scratch up the engine bay as it was married to the body on the Broadmeadows production line. But…………………………it sounded amazing, and for many, that was the crucial element. There is a lovely full, deep and throaty induction note on those Boss engines, accompanied by an exhaust note that was what I call “creamy”.

Now for a little fun, can anyone tell me what’s wrong or different about the following shots?

If I could spec a BA XR right now, it would easily be the XR6 Turbo sedan in Citric Acid, automatic, 18-inch wheels, premium brakes, side airbags, Sports Steering Wheel (the FPV/chunky style item) and the Momo shifter. I’d also do the XR Luxury Pack (that came later in the BA run) which included unique leather and suede seat and door trim and the premium/Fairmont ICC which included dual zone climate control and premium sound. I actually have a price spreadsheet, so this would be the price before on-roads –

BA XR6 Turbo Sedan Auto - $44,885
Prestige Paint - $345
18-inch XR Wheels - $1500
Premium Brakes - $2950
Momo Steering Wheel – $695
Momo Shifter - $215
XR Luxury Pack - $4595
XR Floor Mats - $100
Total Price - $55,285.

Now that price might sound high, then or now, but tell me what car I could buy right now with the same performance and number of seats? Kia Stinger, well maybe, but that thing is nearly dead, and the price went north quickly after launch. Makes you realise how good we had it!

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
5 users like this post: