Thread: Vans!
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2023, 04:05 PM   #57
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Vans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
Be careful if Transporter is DSG, they were back in my day (lol), I was involved in Victoria Police's Vito to Transporter transition and it was a ****show with DSG failures.

I'm pretty sure the Vito's '7G Tronic' trans is a traditional slushbox and would be my recommendation out of those two.

However Transporter has a bangin' stereo for Kylie
I'm willing to bet that our Crafter is the only Crafter to have made deliveries with Kylie banging on the stereo!

Surprisingly, the Crafter, and my Povo spec Ranger, seem to have better audio systems than my "Premium Sound" equipped FG-X, without the separate amp and sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
Thats the problem, you shouldn't need to schmooze stuff, it should just drive properly out the box

With a torque converter auto you press the accelerator or the brake and it drives properly, and it doesn't **** the bed in slow speed suburban driving between traffic lights or reversing up a driveway on an incline.
I think this is why the Crafter has been so well received within the company, it's just a normal, torque converter auto and makes it so easy to drive. Shift speed? Almost the same as a DSG, so what's the point of a DSG then?

I was told yesterday that the Crafter "is the best van we've ever had". Ours is the long wheelbase, low roof model. It's so easy to drive and a world apart from what it replaced, which always felt like it was sitting on tippy toes. The Crafter corners flat and composed, the brakes are excellent (although suuuper dusty), the twin-turbo engine has no trouble hauling, and as above, I really like the normal 8-speed auto.

It's now got about 97,000km on the clock and had a set of tyres and a set of rotors and pads. It's had two small warranty items, and the drivers lower mirror fell off. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things for a working vehicle.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: