View Single Post
Old 04-11-2023, 07:08 PM   #88
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford cutting EV production

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Farley seems intent on trying to copy some of Teslas plan or at least copying designs that remind buyer of the X and Y crossovers. I think that’s a mistake, Ford should be following the wants of its buyers like boxy 2-row and 3-Row SUVs but it’s now back to protecting existing ICE vehicle sales like Explorer and Aviator.

BEV Lightning sales are subdued because the thing can’t tow a full trailer for more than about 160 km,
the whole reason people buy F150 is the capability to tow things if required, Lightning is a giant chocolate teapot.
And Ford is building a giant plant to mass produce electric F150s in under four years time, no wonder they’re anxious…

The minerals boom is going to heat up now that China is trying to control Lithium e fining and the supply of rare earths
I think it’s up to Australia to get into bed with Musk and other US based companies and develop better
Supply of Lithium and rare earth materials to US AND Europe before anyone else jumps in there.
With regard to last paragraph, already happening, certain companies are qualifying for govco grants/loans when included as part of the critical minerals supply chain, further to that these companies are signing off into a western supply chain, ie takeoffs with S Korea, Japanese companies, German ones like Siemens... in coming months Australian critical minerals enterprises will be allowed to qualify for capital from US at NA market rates and legal conditions if I read it right (have a check - I think it was Biden's recent meeting with Albo that included this, check for yourself tho) which is massive. Combined with current prices on these metals, future demand curves and the fact we're already seeing some of them value-add their product in their production plans, it's pretty exciting. The Chinese have that 20 year head start though and have lol enviro OH&S barriers to output. But yeah, this is not financial advice at all, I'm saying this as there is a pretty exciting time ahead for Australia.