Thread: Vans!
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2023, 03:07 PM   #34
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Vans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbro4123 View Post
So if the VW has been good and you can't get them then why aren't you looking at the Sprinter, same same as made in the same factory, not sure about motors but if the ambos use the Sprinter then they need to be reliable.

I've had 4 sprinters,all basically ambo spec with the first 2 manuals, first one was a 2008 315, retired to spare at 850,000kms 2019, next one was a 2012 316 same sort of mileage annually, pensioned to out west depot in 2018 and as far as I know still running all over the place.
Purchased 2 more in 2018,were stripped out and sold separately when we sold the business, all fitted with alloy bull bars, safety cage behind seats and rubber mats on the cargo area and rear step/tow bar. We then fitted them out as service units with all the lights and whistles needed, only issue was we needed to keep an eye on weights when loaded to do a country service run, oils parts and usually 2 or more condenser units 100kgs each plus gas and equip.

Only repairs was a set of turbos at 600,ooo kms, clutch and flywheel and shocks.

Fuel when running normal between 9 to 10/100kms, big load same sort of mileage, mostly highway mileage.

Always serviced at 10,000 kms, always used Cost Effective fuel products and genuine filters (we ran 99% Merc products and got a very good price on parts Tyres ( Continentals) every 90,000 to 100,000 kms

My only bitch with the 2008 the lousy radio and uncomfortable drivers seat after 6 hrs of driving.

Expensive??? maybe compared to Jap/asian stuff, but in the long run you get what you pay for and breakdowns are very expensive if it cost you a customer.

The first one

Good luck choosing one.

Terry aka Tbro
Ambo spec one is good, its the medium wheel base and medium roof model, its not too long or tall.

I've worked on one or two in my time:

I reckon the 1990s/early 00s old boxy banger prior to the 2006 NCV3 model redesign drove better than the 4 cylinder spec of the Melbourne metro ambulances, more throttle response, but you hardly ever see one of the old bangers around anymore.

6 cylinder one is a good though, not sure if its still made.

Because they're used by our ambulance services nationwide spare parts availability is pretty good for aftermarket and genuine.

Used to maintain NPT's fleet of ****box patient transporters, those guys would be running these things into the ground, have them come in with 700,000km on the clock.

https://www.nptgroup.com.au/
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: