View Single Post
Old 20-09-2023, 08:40 PM   #2679
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Ok, a rant. DFB, for the first time in a while I gave some advice today and instantly regretted it.

A "professional detailer" who runs a business wet sanded factory paint on an AU. Checked out his profile, the kid is 20 and running his own detailing business (excellent for a young person). I politely asked him why he wet sanded 23 year old factory paint as the clear will be almost non existent as it is. I then went into my experience with Ford paint and why I would only do it in very controlled circumstances.

I received a smart ass reply saying just because he is young doesn't mean I have more experience than him. Then he took it to PM and said I know nothing about paint correction etc etc etc. Anyway, I didn't even reply again, no point. Told him to keep enjoying wet sanding Ford paint and all the best with his business.

Perfect example of why I don't bother. I'm not a professional, neither are you DFB, but we both have a fair amount of experience. The whole detailing world is unregulated anyway. We could go pro tomorrow simply by opening a business. It's why so many "pro" hacks ruin cars and they great detailing businesses make so much money fixing other peoples stuff ups.
And guess who will be learning a very expensive lesson in the near future, if not already?

He may defend his age, but I can guarantee he still has much to learn, "professional" or not. I've been detailing cars since I was 15, so over 20 years now. At age 20, I didn't know squat, and I'm still learning at age 36.

If the guy in question is not receptive to learning from others, then his business won't last long, and if it does, he will be doing it the hard way. And that statement is not confined to detailing, but all industries that require hands on experience.

Just to offer the flipside, I have been grateful for the times when you have provided me advice, it wasn't taken for granted.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: