View Single Post
Old 04-09-2023, 12:00 AM   #32
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: Toyota vs electric lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
I think the entire electric vehicle thing is a case of horses for courses. Electric vehicles are probably fine and dandy if you live in a major city and you don't need to cart stuff. Toyota is looking to service the car buying public in not only the cities, but the regional and remote areas as well, and they've been doing that since the 60's.

I have a dirty old climate killing diesel ute and I love it. It's now 17 years old and cost me 20 grand when it was near new. I look after it and it's repaid me with absolute reliability, and it's probably still worth 10 grand. It's presently parked in the back yard loaded with an air compressor, an engine crane, an engine stand, a pallet jack, a 3kva generator, a large tool box full of crap and various other bits and pieces including carry racks with several five plus metre lengths of timber strapped on top. It's also hooked up to a 8'x4'6" heavy box trailer carrying a 1700cc motorcycle.

I'm heading off early tomorrow morning on a 1400 km road trip which I do about four times a year. I'll be there late tomorrow night or early Tuesday morning. It generally takes be about 18 to 20 hours. Yeah, she sucks a bit of diesel but when she's getting low I can pull in, fuel up and be back on my way in under 10 minutes.

Now, can someone tell me what sort of electric vehicle I could buy for a reasonable price that will accomplish that trip any quicker and easier?

Horses for courses.
Just hire a car for the 4 times a year you do that drive. Rest of the time, the EV will work just fine for daily use.

Takes 15 minutes to top up the newer battery types but range will obviously be not as much as a diesel.

I use our EV to tow my Mini race car (1500kgs with trailer). Does it fantastically well.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote