View Single Post
Old 31-05-2023, 11:32 AM   #297
FPV414
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Good value second hand cars - COVID times, Falcon/Commodore tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
They used to be worth ****loads, because people were speculating on them as an investment, then Uber came around and eventually the taxi industry was deregulated and people started having a sook about their speculations becoming worth nothing.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-...fears/10060558

That article should be reframed as the couple speculated on taxi licences and then lost, one group even tries to play the race card in there for their speculation ending badly

The government spent 8 figures on compensation, which I have an issue with, we don't compensate you at the roulette table, or on the dogs and horses, so why are we compensating gamblers on taxi plates?

I used a combination of uber and taxis in Sydney earlier this year, Uber is certainly better quality vehicles and cheaper.

The only time I use taxis is when I walk out the hotel and there's already one waiting there or there's surge pricing on Uber, but now taxis in Melbourne can set fixed rates as well, so when there's events on in town you cop surge pricing on Uber and then massively inflated rates on taxis too.
You're no expert on the taxi industry maybe do some research. Taxis were not a speculative asset, they were basically a blue chip / established investment, which were screwed over by digital disruption which started illegally. There were a lot of people who got absolutely smashed by this financially and there were even suicides (as mentioned in your linked article). If you don't know what you're talking about maybe don't offer the input. There are even members on this forum that were screwed out of their retirements because of rideshare.
FPV414 is offline   Reply With Quote
8 users like this post: