View Single Post
Old 16-12-2022, 02:12 PM   #142
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Good value second hand cars - COVID times, Falcon/Commodore tax

Yep the interest rates are beginning to bite.

If you remember the thread, my pick for a covid buy with about 20K was as many XG to XH Panelvans as I could get my hands on. The fundamentals were sound: travel within the country was only option, half of young Australia bought a malibu surfboard... They were going for 7s to 15s for best/dreamers - a quick scan last night saw many rough to honest ones in the 3s and best in the 7s. So I guess I blew up that hedge fund. As for the fundamental certainty: the young all got hocked to buy a $70,000 VW Transporter on ridiculously low interest rates instead, who could have known?

Just noticed BA-BF Fairlanes are back to reasonable pricing, most sub 12K, unicorn examples and low km LTDs still asking 20+. The best BF XR6 turbos asking around 30s now.

The E series scan reveals the odd bargain, great original sub 5K cars; V8 Fairmont wagons ranging between 7s and low/mid teen asks.

Then there's the story of an F6 Typhoon owned by a family workmate about half a decade ago... a bit run down, wanted 15 for it. In Covid the best ones were 60+K asks... these seem still up there in their asks.

So it's beginning, I'll let Mr Churchill end the post:

"The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays is coming to its close. In its place we are entering a period of consequences."