View Single Post
Old 26-04-2021, 09:39 AM   #5
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What to replace my falcon with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
So here's the backstory.
So better on the dirt roads my falcon has had trouble with, although the wife isn't convinced they're much chop for highway cruising (i explained it's exactly what they were designed for, but she's set on a sedan. I think she wants a fast car but won't say that)
I have had a SY AWD petrol, a SZ RWD diesel, and a G6E.

The Territory is a magic highway vehicle. It is way better than the G6E for ride and comfort, particularly on the highway. Plus, it has the benefit of more cargo carrying capacity. The Territory is a friendly car for the female drivers; with seating, steering, and general driving position much more adjustable.

The best fuel economy I got out of the AWD petrol was 10.9l (fully loaded with four pax + payload crap that only teenage daughters feel is necessary). The RWD diesel was around 7-8l/100km on the highway. The G6E returned low 7l/100km on the highway.

I have had the SY AWD on dirt roads (including bulldust) and in the snow. It is capable on loose surfaces. I was never game enough to take it into thick mud. Its biggest issues over a true 4WD is lack of ground clearance, non-lockable differential, and tyres biased for road use.

A Titanium Territory suggests your options are restricted to petrol RWD, diesel RWD, or diesel AWD. If you are away from sealed roads, that probably restricts the list to the diesel AWD.

My experience is that the diesel had annoying turbo lag around town, particularly with extended city driving. It was one of those cars that needed a blast down the highway every now an again. On the highway, as the turbo was on song, the diesel was fine.

One issue with Territory (and to a lesser extent the Falcon) will be the suspension and differential bushes and shock absorbers. These are a consumable item (like brake pads). Depending on kilometres driven, I would budget for a complete set (this will then see out the life of the car).

As for other options, Ford Ranger / Mazda BT50 is OK on the highway. I haven't driven one for an extend period, but a friend who does a lot of caravan towing with her Ranger is very happy with it on the highway. Also comes with 4WD options and is capable off road.

From the hints in your post, I would assume that fitting a bull bar would be a consideration?
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: