View Single Post
Old 03-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #59
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Re: Downgrading the V8 :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
Mate, I've actually done what the OP is considering, and gone from an XR8 to a Fiesta ST and the small car DOES cut in traffic and merge onto the freeway like the XR8 does and STILL uses half the fuel.
My old man did the same, went from BF2 XR8 to a Focus ST. He loves it, he's not tech savvy but he loves how the ST drives (far quicker and better handling than the XR8). Best for him over the long term he is saving in terms of fuel, used to be around 16l/100km average for the Falcon now in the Focus he is doing 8.2 l/100km.

Forget the 'Buzz boxes are slow' thing, those days are long gone.
I too did the same thing.
Went from a XR8 to Focus XR5T. Best decision i ever made.
More fun, saved a ton in fuel costs, insurance and general maintenance too. Over the long term I have saved a lot more.

Funny how people talk of initial costs with new cars, depreciation, etc. Did many of these people consider that when they changed over their V8s and other Falcons within 3 years?
When are you supposed to buy a new car? You never make money out of a car but there comes a time when the current one is just costing more to run than it is worth.

To the OP, don't listen to what others have to say. Go, do your sums, drive the cars you want if it all adds up then go for it. Let us know how you go.
Goodluck.