View Single Post
Old 30-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #42
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 
Default Re: Hospital cover, who has it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotski
I'm not going to say you're wrong, because I completely agree, my only point about the hip replacement (and I'm only assuming that's where you got the example from), was that the waiting list would be not as long, which I could be very wrong about.
Sorry mate, I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone as I know this is a sensitive subject, but I actually didn't use yours as a direct example.
I used a hip replacement as it's fairly common.
Quote:
My point was simply that, this person needs this surgery now, so that they can work, leave the house etc, but it's not considered an emergency service so they have to wait 18 months. Which to me, is a flaw in the public system, not necessarily support for the private system. If that makes sense
Yep it does, but as I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, this is actually partly caused by premature elective procedures by those who are privately insured.
I recognise the public system isn't perfect, however it is very good.

Has you friend looked into going into a public hospital as a private patient with their choice of surgeon?
Medicare cover 75% of those costs.....

This is what I did many years ago with the procedure I mentioned in an earlier post. I would have waited approx 18 months had I wanted to go full public. As it was, it took around 6 weeks, the same time it would have been if I had insurance.
You can choose the surgeon, hospital, and haggle with both about price.
Most surgeons are very helpful when it comes to this arrangement.