Thread: New to cycling
View Single Post
Old 21-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #95
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
BARGAIN !!!! interesting to see how much it goes for . i wouldnt buy unsen though because heaps of people sell problems . and carbon frames often are off loaded this way . .
surprising here , nothing along entry level these are all high mid range bikes for 1/3 to 1/4 of retail prices .
That's what caught my eye. It had some dam good componentry and starting from a good price, but yes, buyer be ware I could tell. If I was truly keen I would be inspecting this prior to bidding. other than that it's a great find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Yeah, they have an escape route to cut out Mengler's Hill, but it knocks 19kms off of your ride, so if you do the 33km Tanunda to Tanunda loop and take the escape route, you end up only cycling 14kms.
That kind of defeats the purpose I reckon using that shortcut. Sure if your skills arent up to it, by all means take that route, but I like to challenge myself and try new things. If you are going on the BUPA tour and are considering doint this section of the challenge, let me know and I will join ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
Not bad at all especially with the Dura ace groupset.. I'd be going over it with a fine tooth comb if you were keen on it.

Also remember that a carbon fibre bike is going to be more rigid than an alloy framed bike, so it may take a little longer to get use to it from a comfort point of view... IMHO
Thanks for the tip. I doubt I will ever get into competitive riding. But a good quality road bike with cabon forks and maybe seat post and with 105 or Ultegra components will suit me just fine. I just got to keep an eye out on bargains. Am thinking of sticking with my LBS for fitment to be on the safe side too. Sure I'll pay more, but I will at least get the best advice and help I need when the time comes.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont