View Single Post
Old 23-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
Blue_XR

Default Holden Camarodore?

Something else to add to the chevy badges....

Quote:
A new custom conversion kit allows Commodore owners to Camaro-ise their car.

Love it or hate it, the modern day interpretation of the classic Chevrolet Camaro is a head-turner – and it’s a face Aussies could be seeing a lot more of.

Victorian engineer Luke Bromidge has developed a new US-flavoured conversion kit for Australia’s best sellingcar, the Holden Commodore.

The 24-year-old spent three months developing the Chevrolet Camaro-inspired front-end, which he has now fitted to his own car, a Holden SS Ute.
Advertisement: Story continues below

The kit uses genuine General Motors parts, as the Camaro is based on the same underpinnings as Holden’s locally built Commodore range.

Though he’s only finished one vehicle so far, Bromidge says the kit will cost about $9000 for a drive in/drive out service, which will include the fitment and painting of the parts.

The kit can be fitted to all VE Commodores (2006-present), and Bromidge says that standing out from the Commodore crowd will be a big incentive for customers.

“I’ve had a few calls on the kits already,” he says. “Two guys that own SS VE Sportwagons have called me, and they’re interested in it.

"I haven’t even advertised the kit yet, but I’ve seen it on the internet in a few different places. I haven’t even marketed it under a business name yet!”
“The kits will go on any VE Commodore, be it wagon, sedan or ute,” he says.

“Most of the parts are factory GM parts – the bumper bar, the bonnet, the grille, the headlights everything like that,” says Bromidge. “We’ve just developed the guards and the mounting brackets.”

Whether General Motors or Holden will appreciate Bromidge’s offering is not yet known, but he says he’s done nothing wrong in offering Holden enthusiasts the chance to indulge in a bit of Chevy love.

“I haven’t advertised it as a new Commodore kit, or a new Chevrolet kit. I’ve just called it a custom front kit. It’s just using factory parts, so I can’t see [that Holden or GM] would have a problem with it.”

Holden spokesman Jonathan Rose says although Bromidge’s imaginative interpretation is impressive, the company warns modifiers of the potential downsides to giving their car’s a unique look.

“It's a really creative job but of course we can't vouch for the parts, workmanship or structural integrity of the modification as it's non-genuine,” says Rose.

“It's also likely that customers who modified their car this way would encounter warranty issues,” he says. “The modification is non-genuine and parts would not be validated for that particular body style. They are genuine Camaro parts, not designed to accompany another vehicle.

“While we certainly appreciate the enthusiasm for GM products that has gone into this modification, it's fair to say that a Camaro-themed ute won't be coming off our production line,” says Rose.
http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/h...123-184zd.html :