View Single Post
Old 20-11-2010, 12:25 PM   #47
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
That saying, "Killing the Falcon would Kill Ford Australia," hangs like a big ball and chain around FoA's neck..
A very vocal minority of fanatics that may ot may not buy new Falcons continue insisting that the Falcon
must never change from standard norms, Ford listens to these people does as they ask and yet sales don't follow...

It actually says a lot about Australian culture that Ford is held hostage by the long standing Falcon heritage,
the only way Ford is ever going to change its image and diversify its sales is to kill the Falcon's current image.

Sacrilege on this board I know but without a change of image, I fear Ford will ebb away...

I have a feeling that your right but I think FOA are making steps to reposition the falcon as far from old and taxi (and dare is say it, bogan) as they can. Dropping the futura and fairmont name plates was a big call but one that had to be made and should only be the start. The dominant perception is that the falcon is still a thirsty, ill-equipped car and that a camry or cruze can do the job just as well while using less fuel and having more standard features at a cheaper price point.

New and exciting technology should see it's way into the falcon to further differentiate it from it's image as a fleet car. Most people dont care about what wheels drive what or what engine does the work as long as it is cheap, well equipt with gadgets and looks good.

The Mondeo and fiesta need to be given a kick up the backside marketing wise because they are far to good a car to fail.

Ford does need to move away from the falcon company image but it shouldn't be at the expense of an already world class car.